Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Prayers for Bubba Bear.. inoperable stomach mass and horner's syndrome

Yoda mom

Staff member
Please hold Zolo Bubba Bear in your thoughts for comforting during our new journey of palliative care :(

Yesterday his eye was drooping and I suspected Horners syndrome. I sent pic to vet and it was her half day but she said she would stay and wait for me to get there. Bubba Bear does have horners in his right eye. with horners the eyelid cant close. he has drops 6 times a day going forward and some eye cream. he has mild cataracts and can still see and vet said his eye is not painful and most resolved on own. I noticed his gums were pale and suspected anemia. vet agreed with in house blood work and said she believed something going on internal. He was such a good boy with the blood draw that took at least 20 times to get a vein, typical for rotties . Techs said what a good pup. never a whimper . He came back anemic . We did xrays and she asked for me come in the back to show me what she found. I knew it was bad. she took chest and abdomen xrays. we took blood to send off to thyroid panel since he was low thyroid .6 on blood work.

Dr Jackson showed me a larger than baseball size mass in Bubba Bears stomach :( could also involve the pylorus area and pancreas area. Sent to radiologist and will get detailed report today. I am shattered. Bubba Bear cant catch a break, first diabetes, canine extraction he nearly died under anesthesia, a foot lump removed, infected foot months ago, UTI that just cleared after a month of antibiotics and allergic reaction / fever etc to the first 2 antibiotics. UTI is clear but now the stomach Mass most likely cancer.
He is not a candidate for surgery and the diagnosis is cruel and grave. vet suggested holding off on the MSU thyroid panel since discovering the mass. she said she was soo sorry for the findings.

I know it is palliative care going forward. Stomach masses are most like cancer and prognosis is usually less than 2 mos. He still eats good, no vomiting, or blood in stool. He feels better since his UTI cleared up and still enjoys hedgehog and cuddles n kisses.

Yesterday I got home from the vet with Bubba Bear and sat by the pond out behind the house. I cuddled him and told him how much I love him . I promised to keep my word that I will be his best friend with wings of dignity and peace when the time comes. Whether it is an hour , a day, a week. I will be strong for him as he has been there for me over the past 8 years through the many challenges of my life.

20210929_171258.jpg
My heart is still broken from Yoda getting his angel wings last month. Now shattering deeper to the core of my heart.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Nooooooo....

I am heartbroken this morning reading this. So much loss. I’m so sorry, Tammy. I know you will make his last moments with the most love he could ever want.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw your update in your other post. I know getting the news is so hard to hear. Squeeze and hug that boy a bit harder for me tonight.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 , @Catzzzmeow and all.

Miracles do happen. .. prayers answered..... Vet called me with the radiologist report. NO Mass!!! no foreign body. I will take it. total anomaly he presented with a mass she showed me on the films. happy tears.... not out of the woods yet, blood sugar been high, sent blood work out today to MSU to check his thryoid for since he is .6 on his cbc blood work indicative of hypothyroidism that can cause horners along with diabetes. results back next week. what's one more pill to his routine. also doing I drop vet gel drops 6 times a day and neo poly bac 2x a day along with increasing his food and insulin to try to get weight back on. no idea why showing anemic and losing weight. keep the prayers coming. he does have cataracts and go blind any day as often happens in dogs. taking everyday as a gift .

I am so glad I didnt give him his angel wings yesterday. vet wanted to send it out to radiologist to confirm. we were both shocked with the good news update from them. wth, no idea if it was gases etc that showed a clear large circular area.

Rachlp

Lairian
@Yoda mom I know I haven’t been on here long but this bought tears to my eyes.

Bubba Bear knows in his heart that he has the very best humans to care for him and love him more than anything during the process.

You have shown such strength and courage as you go through these experiences and we are all here to go through this Journey with you and bubba.

We hope you feel well bubba bear and enjoy your precious time without too much pain.

That view of the pond is priceless

We are here with you all of the way

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, that was a good update to wake up to. You must feel like you've been through the emotional wringer. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of the anaemia and the meds help for the horner's. It's probably too much to put him through with his other health issues but our old German shepherd, Tyr, had cataracts and we had them removed. He was about 9 years old at the time and he went from bumping into doors that he couldn't see were closed to being able to chase balls again. It made the world of difference to the 4 years he had left with us.
Sending healing vibes to you and your menagerie.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow! I went from extremely upset to happy all in 2 minutes! So glad to hear the good news from the vet, you must be so tired from all this emotional stress. Hugs to everyone and will be following for updates about his thyroid.

Back