Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

prayers for Zolo Bubba Bear.. diabetic, scheduled for a canine extraction

Yoda mom

Staff member
please send prayers for Sam's littermate Brother Zolo Bubba Bear. I noticed the tip of his canine tooth slightly faint purple, new right away pulpitis and needs to come out. He is diabetic and I worry about anesthesia , his diabetes sugar levels, the surgery itself. He is a big boy and a big canine. vet assured me will monitor. he is her only surgery for the day and first drop off. I asked alot of questions. vet will make a flap so no gaping hole. between him and Sam they are keeping me on my toes.

I was waiting outside in the car when I took bubbs bear to vet last week for his rabies vaccine, HW test, blood work, annual exam. mentioned to the tech(they call and chat before bringing dog inside), asking questions on the phone to please have vet check that canine tooth. well, vet came out to my car and I said, how's that tooth, needs to be pulled right? I told the vet tech to have you take a look pls. she did not get the message obviously... she went back in to look. do vets not give a visual to teeth anymore during annual exam, or do they cut corners with Covid since we can't go inside ? not nice to say, but I really think his purple tinged rottie large canine tooth is obvious... felt like I had to self diagnosis. would never have been addressed until it abscessed. she said his teeth look good. (he had a dental about about a years ago , using plaque off powder on food ).

so, vet called back and discussed canine extraction and his diabetes and surgery. scheduled for 8/14 . he is eating and acting fine. vet said it has to come out because when she looked at it it is pushing out a tiny bit. he eats and play with his toys fine., big goofball.

once again, thanks for more thoughts and prayers for Sam and Zolo Bubba Bear.

hugs n head smooches.

Attachments

• bubba bear tree.jpg
    bubba bear tree.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200709_132731.jpg
    20200709_132731.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 15

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , thanks...taking a deep breath everyday. now it's hurricane season on top of stuff. filled 20 sandbags for the pool lanai. hugs n head smooches. really enjoyed sunday pics n coffee today... needed that thanks!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Zolo bubba bear is under the scalpel now for his tooth extraction. he blood sugar was 204 fasting, so gave him 1/4 dose of his insulin. gave him a big head kiss . then for the first time ever, went out to the "dog mobile" and it would not start! took 3 times. stopped at store, battery alternator fine. (new platinum battery last year). rough start leaving auto store. parked in drive . restarted numerous times okay. keep all paws crossed I can pick up bubba bear later ! ugh always on a friday. never ever issues with this jeep cherokee till today. figures.

waiting for the vet to call back with updates. nervous about it since he has a huge canine ! and worried about his blood glucose dropping. I trust my vet and know he has the best of. care. all paws crossed.

Attachments

• bubba bear tree.jpg
    bubba bear tree.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow and all : please continue prayers for bubba bear.

Update : bubba fasting was 204, did 1/4 dose before dropping him off. vet tech just called. said his BG dropped to 60... (they can seize around 40 ish.)so they intervened and put in IV bag.

holding steady BG 219 and above now. they are having a heck of a time getting the canine tooth out. said it took 3 xrays to get the total pic of the tooth/root.. apparently it is into his sinus cavity and extremely long and stubborn to come out. they will have to cut it into pieces to try to get it out. his heart rate dropped a few times , they had to give him atripin.

once it is out, they will turn him over and check /clean his other teeth to see if any need extracting. under anesthesia longer than anticipated. Ashley is his regular vet tech and keeping my up to date. please continue prayers for bubba bear.

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thinking of Bubba and you and praying.

My childhood dog had to get a deep canine pulled and there were problems as well. I know how it is.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
All paws crossed for Bubba Bear! I hope he is doing ok, I have just had 3 wisdom teeth removed and all stitches in my mouth the pain is unreal so can’t imagine what poor bubba bear will feel!
Sending hugs❤️

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hoping and praying all went well with Bubbas tooth surgery. Poor guy can’t catch a break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
it has been a long couple of days. first night I slept on the floor with him checking his blood sugar every 1 .5 yours. meds made him start to drop low. had to tweak insulin dose. he was holding his head sideways from pain. pain meds every 6 or so hours now,antibiotics antiinflammatories.. and all messing with his BG. plus his food mushed changed the food/insulin balance. he can't have any chew toys , balls nothing for 2 weeks. poor thing I thought was in pain when I heard him moaning repetitively. come to see he was starring at where I hid his tennis ball saying please mom! I know it is for the greater good.

today, his BG is Hi :( , checking for ketones with urine strips, pushing water to flush his system.(tuna water put in water bowl works great). then I see the stitches out stuck on his outerlip. he has not scratched at his face at all. I know they are self dissolving. ,, but. in 3 days??

I took a peek at it and I don't like that it has two eraser shape bumps. hopeful not infection. will email pics to vet, flwup call tomorrow. he is being the best patient. he is such a teddy bear mommas boy. just hurts my heart to see him in pain and no stuffy toy , ball , nada, not even a kong toy. I have to run around hiding toys from him or he steals from the others.

Vet gave me his tooth . wow! tooth and root nearly 2 1/2 inches long! no wonder poor baby hurts. it was into his sinus cavity. now just watching his blood sugar and ketones closely and taking care of him. recheck in 2 weeks.

thank you all soooo much for thinking of Bubba Bear.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope he gets better fast..and can play with his toys. I pray he will be alright soon, poor "little" boy.

Yoda mom

Staff member
he is being a good boy taking all his pills and healing more each day! his blood glucose I have to watch closely all day. he is so easy to test. just flops on his bed when I say 'sugartime" and lets me poke his elbow for a droplet of blood for the meter. thankgoodness.

he is steady on making me feel guilty with his moaning and sad puppy eyes for his chew toy or ball.. at least another week on regular soft toys. I feel like I have a 2 yr old. lol have to run around and pick up the chew toys from the other pups so he doesnt steal them when I am not looking.

thank you sooo much for all the thoughts and prayers. means the world to me and the zoo

give your babies an extra head smooch from me.

Back