Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Prayers needed - Update on "Gemstone"

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've finally settled on a name for my newest little rescue girl, Gemstone. Anyway, Gem needs your prayers, it's been a very difficult, trying 24 hours with her. Last night I was working on finding some papers I needed and had my attention on that instead of Gemstone. Well, she decided to climb into a chair in the living room, which I didn't think she was capable of let alone had the desire to do, and as soon as she saw me she tried to fly to get to me. Sadly, it resulted in a badly broken leg :( Right now I've had the radius realigned, but she's going to require surgery to fix her Ulna. I'm working between my orthopedic vet and a local vet who I took her too (they have a 24 hour service) trying to decide the best way to fix the fractures for good. It's difficult with her being so small (5 lbs), her not having good bone mass, and her still growing - Normally they'd plate fractures like this, but that would require surgery every 3 weeks while it heals to remove the plates and replace them with bigger plates. Pins can be difficult with a dog this small, so right now I'm letting them work it out and decide the best way to fix it, she'll probably be going in on Thursday for the surgery. I'm trying to figure out how to pay for it, I've been out of work since before Christmas, so money is tight, and this is going to pull it that much tighter! Yet somehow, I know I've got to find a way to do it for her, there's no way I'm going to put her down or let her suffer, so one way or another I'll have to come up with the money!

Here's a couple new pictures I took of her this afternoon. Please keep my precious Gemstone in your thoughts and prayers the next couple of days that the surgery to fix her leg will go well and the recovery will be quick and uneventful.

Attachments

• Photo0022.jpg
    Photo0022.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is so lucky to have you in her life! So sorry to hear about the broken leg, but may she have a quick recovery!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh no! Poor baby!! I hope she has a speedy recovery and her leg gets better soon!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry to hear of this news. I hope that you and Gemstone come through this with flying colors. She is lucky to have a human like you to take such good care of her!!:BigSmile:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She's special, that's for sure! I feel blessed to have her in my life, she is such a loving girl despite the pain and discomfort she's in! Gotta love her!

Does anyone know where I can find warm coats cheap? All I have tiny enough for Gem needs to be pulled over her front legs, and obviously that's just not going to work right now!

Lydia

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Lydia! Poor little Gemstone! Are there any groups out there who might help. Contact KSL and see if they might want to do a human interest story on her. If they would you could accept donations for her surgeries. What about some donations from local businesses and have a auction?

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm sending well wishes and good thoughts. I've seen dogs smaller than her do great after surgery. Including many with both front limbs broken.

This is a common affliction with IGs, their bones are just so tiny they break so much easier than other breeds.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've tried to get KSL to do a story for me before, never gotten them to accept. I may try the idea of seeing if I can get some businesses to donate and do an auction, but right now I'm to busy between trying to help Ann get the Sphynx rescue up and off the ground and dealing with getting her leg fixed, so all that will have to wait. I may put an ad up on KSL.com later today and see if I can reach people that way to donate. These little IGs do have fragile legs, but especially the mill babies. The moms are bred over and over, and if the mom doesn't have sufficient calcium in her bones from being bred so much, there's no way she can pass good bones onto her puppies! I've never had a leg break in one of my show IGs, and am so careful with my mill rescues, but I did have a momma IG that shattered both front legs just by stumbling down ONE step, her legs where so brittle from being bred so many times :(

Gem is doing much much better, she doesn't seem to be in much pain, she's already wanting to get up and walk around a little bit, I'm only allowing it with me supporting her front end with a make shift sling, but it's a good sign that she wants to!

Brooke

Banned
Get well soon, Gemstone! She's in good hands now.

Love the new name, by the way. (So much better than "Clearance Puppy"...sheesh!)

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Get well soon, Gemstone! She's in good hands now.

Love the new name, by the way. (So much better than "Clearance Puppy"...sheesh!)
I hate it when a puppy gets labeled "unadoptable" or "clearance puppy" or "undesirable" Gem is the sweetest, most loving little girl! There's nothing wrong with her that can't be taken care of, sure it might be a bit expensive, but so what, it's not her fault, there's no reason to kill her just because she was born with bad knees! I know alot of my IG rescue people are against the way I do my rescue, they say I'd be better off spending the money to save 10 + more IGs then saving 1 little puppy, but I just don't agree, every dog deserves a chance, she's just a baby!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hate it when a puppy gets labeled "unadoptable" or "clearance puppy" or "undesirable" Gem is the sweetest, most loving little girl! There's nothing wrong with her that can't be taken care of, sure it might be a bit expensive, but so what, it's not her fault, there's no reason to kill her just because she was born with bad knees! I know alot of my IG rescue people are against the way I do my rescue, they say I'd be better off spending the money to save 10 + more IGs then saving 1 little puppy, but I just don't agree, every dog deserves a chance, she's just a baby!

I agree with you, Lydia....every little life is precious. Gem deserves a chance as much as any show quality IG.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with you, Lydia....every little life is precious. Gem deserves a chance as much as any show quality IG.
In my opinion, MORE! Most show IG puppies are born in a nice, soft, warm whelping box, always have plenty of food and space available to them, parents that are well cared for - They don't know what it's like to go without! Some breeders are better then others as we all well know, but most show breeders would never dream of raising a baby IG in a small cage with crappy food, and breeding it's mom over and over and over again, while these sweet little mill babies have known nothing but over crowded cages, dirty sanitary conditions, and neglect, and yet so many of them, especially when I can get my hands on them as puppies, hold no grudges against people and once they figure out you love them are SOOOO loving and give you back so much more then any show dog ever could! That's why I'm so involved in rescue, I have 1 of my Afghans I show and 1 of my IGs that I show, but it's my rescues that keep me going, that give me inspiration, and make me want to save others!!! Gem is amazing, she knows what pain and suffering is even at her young age - She deserves to know just how good life can really be!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Love the name! Gemstone is such a cutie. Definitely praying for her. She seems like such a sweet little girl.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So happy to hear she is improving. She sounds like such a little sweetheart! I bet you won't be able to give this one up!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear she has a broken leg. I'm sure she will make a full recovery as she has you there to take such good care of her. Gemstone is such a cute name and it really suits her.

susi794

Staff member
She's special, that's for sure! I feel blessed to have her in my life, she is such a loving girl despite the pain and discomfort she's in! Gotta love her!

Does anyone know where I can find warm coats cheap? All I have tiny enough for Gem needs to be pulled over her front legs, and obviously that's just not going to work right now!

Lydia

Check with Kiennasmom--her mom made some beautiful coats for my cats--double fleece with a slip over just the head, then velcro under the belly--might be just the ticket for her.
My prayers are with you both. Gemstone, get well soon, Sweety!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lydia, I contacted a greyhound rescuer in Denver regarding Gem's clothing dilemma and this is what she emailed to me:

She might want to try www.dog.com
http://www.dog.com/clearance/clothes/840/

They have many clothes on clearance for small dogs. They might not fit well for IG's because of their shapes, but they are cheap.

Good luck!
Mino

I hope little Gem feels better very soon!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lydia, I contacted a greyhound rescuer in Denver regarding Gem's clothing dilemma and this is what she emailed to me:

She might want to try www.dog.com
http://www.dog.com/clearance/clothes/840/

They have many clothes on clearance for small dogs. They might not fit well for IG's because of their shapes, but they are cheap.

Good luck!
Mino

I hope little Gem feels better very soon!
Thank for the tip! I've ordered clothes and alot of other stuff of dog.com before, but their clothes never fit an IG as she said, and most of them are little dresses, sweaters, etc, I just checked and I'm not seeing anything in the right size that wouldn't have to be pulled over her head :( My Aiyana is the most pampered little princess - I've ordered her ALOT of cute dresses from there LOL

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank for the tip! I've ordered clothes and alot of other stuff of dog.com before, but their clothes never fit an IG as she said, and most of them are little dresses, sweaters, etc, I just checked and I'm not seeing anything in the right size that wouldn't have to be pulled over her head :( My Aiyana is the most pampered little princess - I've ordered her ALOT of cute dresses from there LOL

Ah yes, I was afraid of that, too. It seems that IGs are a lot like sphynx...they have a unique body shape that makes it difficult to find on-the-rack pet clothes that fit.

Back