Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Preferred Litterbox for Sphynx?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was just wondering if (for any reason) Sphynx cats prefer a specific type of litterbox (i.e. covered, uncovered, shallow, deep...)?

Thanks in advance.

(sorry for all the questions; I'm still learning)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not so sure it it a breed specific thing (but now curious), we have 2 uncovered boxes under an enclosed cabinet and one covered litter box. They use all 3 here.

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's what I'm curious about too. I was planning on just one uncovered box, but then I thought about their tracking litter, and then found some interesting boxes on the 'net, and then... well, you get the idea. ;-)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Usually breeders have topless boxes so less misses and easier for them to get the hang of it. Might talk to your breeder, but start topless and let them get the hang of it and get their scent in the box before you add the top. I find the ones with the top really cut down on the mess...ours dig , dig, dig and throw, throw, throw.

Patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a covered litter box and believe me they still manage to track it everywhere... Dippy comes out of the litterbox then stands outside and digs in it some more :rolleyes:

I would just go for one which has great reviews. Maybe see what your breeder uses. We use the omega paw self-cleaning box (self cleaning is a bit of an exaggeration) and have no complains but then again haven't tried any others.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a very large tote, I cut a hole in the centre of one end.
Or you could cut a hole in the top, Izmae likes the litter very deep.
I left the top off for a day or two, then, put it on.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have 6 boxes for 3 cats. I used to have lids on them but someone decided they didn't like that and started doing potty on the floor, so no more lids.

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a covered one they prefer to poop in ( Thankyou Sphynx cats !) and 3 uncovered which generally they pee in. Not sure how they decided which was which but it's a good system :)

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was just wondering if (for any reason) Sphynx cats prefer a specific type of litterbox (i.e. covered, uncovered, shallow, deep...)?

Thanks in advance.

(sorry for all the questions; I'm still learning)
We use a hooded litter box, 1) it eliminates the smell so if not changed straight away the house doesnt smell like a stink bombs been let off...2) no flicking of litter all over the floor which is a bonus...3) Blue seems to like his privacy, if i peep inside to see if hes finished he just freezes & waits untill the flaps down & im out of sight (usually with a poo bag & loo roll in my hand !!!)...4) my youngest dog seems to find cat poo a doggy-delicacy & the dirty cow eats any that is done by other cats in the garden EWWW !!!! (Btw ive read online pumpkin can be used to stop dogs eating poo aswell as fix dodgy kitty tummys) So in our house its hooded litter trays with recycable wooden pellets...big webbed thumbs up from my Blue ;) xxx

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Using a mini dustpan sounds good. We're in and out of the bathroom that I think we'll be keeping our future naked's litter box, so clean up should be easy to maintain. I just hope he's not a scatterer!!! ;-)

Yoda mom

Staff member
I had to get a high front and back covered box .. The first one was too short in the front..
Now we have less tracking

Yoda mom

Staff member
here's the pic! Never thought I would post a kitty box pic:). And we don't do facebook!

Toby says "yes. This is my box"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 79

Marcin92

Lairian
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395743771.988921.jpg

We have XL litter box covered with flap and a plastic mat that really helps with tracking. We have litter locker for cleaning out the litter box. It stands against the wall so cats exit the box slowly and it really helps with the tracking as there is limited area they can get.

Back