Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Preparing to say goodbye is so painful

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you . Yes he really is a fighter. He was playing as usual yesterday evening although refused his breakfast this morning so I will have to try something else. We have a cupboard full of different foods now as he seems to go off things quite quickly since the arrhythmias first started. Desperate to get him to eat before the long drive to the vet . He does not seem ill and got up with me as usual at 5am for breakfast but decided he didn't like what was on offer !

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope you find something he just can't resist. Our dear adoptee, Claude, (blind 14yo DSH with no teeth and kidney problems) went off his food a couple of weeks ago. We had to find the stinkiest fish to tempt him (which was vile for us because we're vegan :ROFLMAO:). Luckily he's got his appetite back now.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Once again thank you all for your kind thoughts and advice. We brought him back from the vets on Saturday and the ECG was still showing a lot of ectopic heartbeats.The vet said that sometimes they can adapt to these anomalies however it is the run of , what they call, malignant beats that carry the high risk of cardiac arrest, and over the 24 hour period at the hospital he had four such runs although thankfully, didn't collapse .Now we just keep plodding on with the medication. We have found some little gelatine capsules that open up for you to put in the medication.The vet suggested smearing them with a little butter which makes it easier for them to be swallowed(unfortunately Wilson will not take his meds on food regardless of what type it is ) so we put the capsule in the pill popper and so far this is proving a little easier. The vet suggested trying Omega 3 fish oil supplements but stressed it has to specifically be for cats and not contain vitamin D. I am having a little trouble finding this , does anyone have any suggestions?

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for your replies. I have found a couple of products for omega 3 for cats but need to make sure they don't contain vitamin D .I will let you know if I do find a suitable product in case anyone else is interested.Also , although the gelatine capsules for delivery of tablets are not perfect, they do seem to make it a little easier to give Wilson the meds. Our vet gave us 20 to see how it goes. Its only the 4th day of using them , and we still do have to swaddle him as he won't take anything on food or treats, but so far so good, and right now I could (probably) recommend trying them if anyone else is struggling with giving tablets

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If your vet has them is it possible to buy from them or to ask where they get their supply from? Or you could try Viovet. We get all of our meds through them. Here's one of the products they say is for cats. There's a phone number for them on the page if you need to ask questions EasyPill for Dogs & Cats

Back