Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Previous owner didn't clean his ears!

gianna

Lairian
Hi! I just got my baby (Albus) from his previous owner this past Sunday. He didn't seem to bathe him often (he wasn't very clean when I got him) and his ears are full of gunk! I haven't bathed him yet because I wanted him to get used to his new home, plus I ordered soap for him (Pawfect Sphynx Line by Organically Beautiful by JC) which arrived today. I've read & watched videos how to clean their ears but some of the stuff goes pretty far back - see attached
IMG_6771.JPG
photo. Any tips on how to clean that all out without damaging his ears? Thanks!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm pretty familiar with this as well. When I got my boy Smaug the owner said that she would wipe his ears about once a month with a paper towel and NEVER bathed him.o_O I know I stuck to the typical ear cleaning with a ear cleaner and qtips. I will say though that if the situation is anything like Smaug's is that you may need to clean every day for a while before the ears are actually clean and then you can go to a few times a week. It seemed at first that I would clean the ears day after day with the same amount of horrible gunk so it may take a while. Also since he's not used to it give lots of treats and praise. Good luck!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you for opening your heart and home to Albus!
Two of my adoptees weren't used to ear cleaning
I trimmed nails
Then put kitty on my lap with a towel
I put on a little head lamp to see in ears better

I use trizultra plus Keto as my cleaner on a cotton round flat cosmetic pad and precision q-tips
They are wetted with cleaner and gently swirled in that little out ear flap
Amd regular qTips where I can see into with my headlamp

I put a yummy snack on my lap amd tuck kitty into the crook of my arm/lap
I gently lift ear up to open it up better for cleaning
And then hand under chin thumb on head gently tilting back to clean inside

**I actually used Zymox plus in the red box ( it's thick) wetted onto a qTip wiped gently inside for the first 5 days**
With no other cleaner
Then into my regular weekly trizultra cleaning

They still protest but not as much

Looking forward to positive updates amd his journey and pics with us!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair for you and Albus!
I clean the ears of my sphynx with a q tip and a baby wipe. I don't go in to deep, only to the parts I can see. The babywipe I use to get the last gunk that won't come out with the q tips.

gianna

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair for you and Albus!
I clean the ears of my sphynx with a q tip and a baby wipe. I don't go in to deep, only to the parts I can see. The babywipe I use to get the last gunk that won't come out with the q tips.
Thanks very much! :D

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Have to say from afar those ears do not look too bad which is a good thing. My crew can look worse in a week. So hopefully you fall into a routine and Albus starts enjoying the love and tender care you are going to provide. What a lucky baby.

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Swaddling in warm blankets (I toss swaddling blankets in the dryer for about 15 minutes to heat them up) really helps keep Sphynx calm during cleaning of ears and toes.

Go slow, and Albus fusses, back off for a bit and try again next day and see if you can get further. If he doesn't fuss too much, just be firm and keep cleaning.

I use a sherpa cotton resusable round make up remover cloth with warmed epi-otic squirted on it to clean the outside and inside of the ear. Then I use regular and precision Q-tips soaked in warmed epi-otic as needed for the inside. But don't go deeper than you can see. I also use a head lamp.

Keep us updated. And he looks a cutie!! Glad he's with you.

lapril

Lairian
Have to say from afar those ears do not look too bad which is a good thing. My crew can look worse in a week. So hopefully you fall into a routine and Albus starts enjoying the love and tender care you are going to provide. What a lucky baby.

Patti

I agree!
I wouldn't assume that the owner was neglectful. Ezio's ears get gunked up within 1-2 days...as does his entire body. It's quite miraculous actually:wideyed: Ezio didn't get the nickname stinky boo boo for nothing:smug:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@gianna, to know the sphynx breed is to know their ears can get quite disgusting in a week, sometimes less, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to my vet's office with my nakeds and either a vet tech will motion to my vet about their ears and suggesting it was ear mites. I laugh out loud and enlighten them on the yukkie ears of a sphynx because they don't have fur inside their ears to help absorb their natural oils.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of cleaning ears and your naked will have to accept it. I have one guy that has no patience for extended ear cleaning and he's the one with the filthiest ears. Sometime I give him a break for a moment and then I continue until it's all clean. I tell him that he has no choice. LOL
Best of luck to you with your sphynx.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! I just got my baby (Albus) from his previous owner this past Sunday. He didn't seem to bathe him often (he wasn't very clean when I got him) and his ears are full of gunk! I haven't bathed him yet because I wanted him to get used to his new home, plus I ordered soap for him (Pawfect Sphynx Line by Organically Beautiful by JC) which arrived today. I've read & watched videos how to clean their ears but some of the stuff goes pretty far back - see attached View attachment 65558 photo. Any tips on how to clean that all out without damaging his ears? Thanks!
Here is a video we made on cleaning sphynx ears. :)

Back