Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Prices on retired breeder sphynx?

Shell_Baby

Lairian
I hope this is the right place to post this....

I am looking to purchase a retired breeder from a cattery near where I live. The sphynx is just over a year, female, and will be fixed before I receive her. What is a normal cost of a retired breeder? The price she gave me just seems high, so I want some opinions from people who know more than I do!!! :ThumbsUp:

Thanks a bunch!! :Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Here $800 is way to high for a retired breeder.
They go for $300-$400
The 1 year olds go for $500 at the most.
I know many breeders and this is the going rate.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I think Ive just seen them for up to $800 here, because there`s not nearly as many here. Average that I see retirees for is $500. From the sounds of it Sphynx in the states are $1000-$1200, and here they`re $1200-$1600 minimum. Sorry Shell_Baby, I forgot to take into consideration that you`re not in the Sphynx baron Western Canada. Different demographic. :Smile:

Shell_Baby

Lairian
The quote I got from this breeder was $975! :Dizzy: I'm here in Kentucky, and I thought that was high! Her kittens go for $1500, which I've heard is about average. I'm glad I'm not way off base thinking that was too much! :Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is she nuts that is way to high.
I am sorry to say $1500 is high for sphynx now.
Wrinkles breeder charges that and I was told I paid way to much for her.
Most breeders are charging between $1000 -$1200 right now.

Bella07

Banned
In this economy especially....$975 (let's just round that to $1000) seems incredibly high in my eyes for an adult! At this point personally, I wouldn't pay more than $600 for a young adult. Or, I'd just pay a little more for a kitten! I know some may disagree with me, and I know that breeding is a costly endeavor, but I know a few breeders who sell their kittens for $1500, and the kittens aren't even altered or microchipped. I think that is even too high! Because then you have to factor in that cost on top of the $1500....and well. Like I said, in this economy, especially in my neck of the woods, you just wouldn't have any buyers.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree that $975 is too high for a retired breeder, although at a little over a year old she is still fairly young. Do you know how many litters has she had and whyshe is being 'retired' ? I expect you will find a $600-$800 range for a Sphynx under 2, and a 300-400 for 2-4 year olds.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Ya I would charge around 400.00 for a retired breeder depending on how many litters she had and if she would be a good show kitty and age. Cause really it wouldnt be any different then selling a pet. I charge 1000.00 for all my kitten pets and 2000.00 for a breeder. I just do 2 prices to keep it simple. I have gone less for friends. I guess if I was buying a retired breeder it would have to depend on the cat and what I was going to use them for and if I felt comfortable letting go of my money for whatever I thought I was getting. lol

susi794

Staff member
Around here kittens go for $1500-1700 from what I've seen. I would think that $975 seems a little high, but only one year old is pretty young for a retired breeder. Why is she retired? I'd be interested to know that, but that does seem a little high.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Would the $975 include her coming to you already spayed? I'd certainly find out why she is being retired early. Just my opinion but I think maybe she had some reproductive issues and maybe the breeder is trying to make up for a costly vet bill she encountered. The price sounds a little high to me.

holly_savage

Banned
I agree with Susi, the kittens areound here (Great Lakes Region) go for $1500 on average. They come spayed at that price. I have seen breeders sell older kittens...8 months old about for $800. I wouldn't spend that much on an adult, but that is just me.
Once a cat is spayed it should be considered a pet...regardless of how much in conforms to the breed standard, yes you can show it, but the higher prices reserved for "show" or "breeding" quality doesn't really apply anymore, it is now "pet" quality...not that it makes them any less of a good cat.

Just my opinion:BigSmile:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
And just MY opinion, but since the breeder has already bred this Queen- WHY is $975 an acceptable price? To me, in my eyes, the person who has spent way too much at the vet's every single year and too much showing her cats- that is too expensive and reeks of greed.

But that's just me.

I DO NOT PERSONALLY feel charging an exorbitant price for a retiree is the right way to find them a home. Nope. Both of my Queens whom I retired this year were placed in homes at the basic cost of their spay- and both of these homes had babies from the Queens already there. One went home with Zoltan (Miss Zera) and one went home with an older daughter.

I just feel like, hello? You bred this cat! You've made your profit- whether it was slim or not- from her kittens. You do NOT MAKE PROFIT OFF OF RETIRED BREEDING STOCK.

As much as finding each kitten a great home is important- I hate to say this, but it is even MORE IMPORTANT TO ME that I find the PERFECT home for my retirees. They deserve it! They have earned it.

But then I'm in the hole each year- so what do I know?

Back