Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Primal freeze dried/frozen raw reviews?

singaporesphynx

Lairian
Hi there, I'm thinking of feeding my future Sphynx kitten Primal raw for 2 main reasons: cutting down the poop smell/issues and for overall health.

Would you recommend this brand? It looks easy to prepare the portions and seems nutritious. What experiences have you had feeding this to your Sphynx?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hi there, I'm thinking of feeding my future Sphynx kitten Primal raw for 2 main reasons: cutting down the poop smell/issues and for overall health.

Would you recommend this brand? It looks easy to prepare the portions and seems nutritious. What experiences have you had feeding this to your Sphynx?

Hi, I feed my boys raw food but a Dutch brand. We don't have primal raw here. Hope someone else with experience chime in.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Primal is a great brand. We use it for traveling and keep some on hand for power outage emergencies. Our kids like it just fine and I didn't notice any difference in poo compared to their normal raw regiment. We use the freeze dried nuggets, no experience with the frozen.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had a bad experience with the raw frozen nuggets. One of mine ended up with a Thiamine deficiency. To the point of severe neurological issues. I almost lost her. They had a recall about three or four months after for thiamine deficiency in their product. I was feeding both of my girls the nuggets. One had issues, she naturally has an issue with thiamine levels, the other was ok on it. As far as I know. Personally I would go with Stella and Chewys if you're thinking commercial made. The mix ins like Alnutrin and Better in the Raw are easy to make and you know what is going into it.

lapril

Lairian
My cats eat primal raw and freeze dried. They love both versions. They also eat ziwipeak and stella and chewys freeze dried. It doesn't upset their stomach, so I'm willing to pay the premium price.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We tried a sample, and I personally don't like some of the ingredients in there that are fruit and veg:

Venison, Venison Hearts, Venison Livers, Ground Venison Bones, Organic Collard Greens, Organic Squash, Organic Green Beans, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Cilantro, Sardine Oil, Taurine, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Organic Coconut Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Organic Ginger, Vitamin E Supplement.

If I am feeding raw, I want it to be meat, bones and organ. No squash or berries and stuff like that.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sort of side question for those who feed raw.

I have been wanting to get some winter emergency supplies ready and of course want to include supplies for my girls. I don't want to have kibble and canned food for them .. what is everyone using? Are you using freeze dried and what is the self life on freeze dried??

lapril

Lairian

lapril

Lairian
Sort of side question for those who feed raw.

I have been wanting to get some winter emergency supplies ready and of course want to include supplies for my girls. I don't want to have kibble and canned food for them .. what is everyone using? Are you using freeze dried and what is the self life on freeze dried??

I'm not sure about the shelf life for freeze dried. I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding my cats freeze dried thats been in storage for a few winters.
For emergencies, I keep canned food handy.

Back