Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problem #1 solved!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My little darlings, God curse them, are masters of deleting entire novels from my computer.
Not only that, I regularly find entire chapters "written" by said darlings.
Add to this that I am on keyboard #2, because someone threw up one keyboard #1 and killed it.
Keyboard #2 is also showing signs of "I no longer want to live, and you don't need Shift or P anyway."
Something had to be done, and I did it.

20210713_161821.jpg

Cat proofed keyboard.

This did not go down well.
20210713_175957.jpg

20210713_175314.jpg

20210713_180054.jpg

This leads me to problem #2, which remains unsolved:
20210713_180525.jpg

This is mild, normally it's like the image on the screen behind her.
Tromping about on the desk in front of the monitor. I may need to build a riser for this, because there's usually "something" (Livvy) blocking the view of the writings. Not easy to edit when you can't see the fricken screen because a Livvy butt / head / tail / belly is in the way!
I may need to resort to a row of cactus!
So far no one has dared step on the perspex. But I guess eventually someone (Livvy) will decide this is a good place to sit...
But at least I can still type!

The other sheet of perspex will be mounted on the wall behind the radiator, because I do not want to repaint the wall every 3 weeks...because I've washed off the paint due to eye boogers and whatnot liberally decorating the wall above the radiator...

Sheldon13

Staff member
Toly does this to me too. I have to actually kick him out of my office sometimes during meetings because he’s such a distraction!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
I wonder if there is a surface that doesn’t appeal to them that you could place in front of the monitor to address problem 2. Sandpaper comes to mind, or something coarse or ‘scary’. Well done on the acrylic solution!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wonder if there is a surface that doesn’t appeal to them that you could place in front of the monitor to address problem 2. Sandpaper comes to mind, or something coarse or ‘scary’. Well done on the acrylic solution!
Given that Jezzy looooooooooves sandpaper (You can roll around on that and use it as a scratchy for all the itchy, and then you can eat it and....)
I tried bubblewrap once.
Turns out not just humans like to pop the bubbles.
I think a riser (or wall mounting) is my only option there!

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
Given that Jezzy looooooooooves sandpaper (You can roll around on that and use it as a scratchy for all the itchy, and then you can eat it and....)
I tried bubblewrap once.
Turns out not just humans like to pop the bubbles.
I think a riser (or wall mounting) is my only option there!
Hahaha oh well there goes that idea. Misty loves to pop bubble wrap too!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bob has the same problem, mostly with Marcus deleting and rewriting entire pages and chapters in whichever book he is currently writing. However, his computer is a laptop, so it is his own fault if he doesn‘t close it when he leaves it. Marcus would squeeze himself under your Perspex cover to sit on the keyboard. If that didn’t work, he would reach under it to press keys (don’t ask how I know that one). He also has thrown up his entire breakfast on the laptop; fortunately, Bob remembered to close it that night. As far as blocking screens, that happens with the TV, and again, it is always Marcus. He thinks we want to stare at him all the time…sigh…

And we had two feral-born kittens who liked to pee on our bed. The vet suggested using bubble wrap, so for the next 14 years, I made bubble wrap “blankets” for our bed. The cats would sleep on the bubble wrap, but never peed on it. If we didn’t put the wrap on the bed every morning, one or both would pee on the bed. BTW, bubble wrap lasts about a year when cats sleep on it each day.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Does your monitor have height adjustment?

They do the same thing to me and I can only raise the monitor so much without making myself look way up to work. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just put them out of the room for a while.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The keyboard protector is definitely working (PHEW!) but the monitor... well.
Maybe if I raise it by oh... a FOOT... *grumble* (It's a fixed height.)
I think your monitor is on a ledge right? Move it forward to the very edge so there's no room for a cat in front.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There is always room for a cat in front lol. That's the trouble.
If it fits, I sits.
My desk has a raised platform similar to yours. The monitor is right on the front edge so the cats don't fit in front. It ain't perfect but at least it forces them to the lower level and I can for the most part see over them. To be honest ever since I was a kid I would do my homework on the bed so now I mostly use the laptop when I'm laying back on the sofa.

Midge

Lairian
I know it's a little late to the party on this post, but on my desk I have a bunch of minky fabric to use as a cat bed. Persy prefers being cuddled up in the fabric over being on my keyboard, so it keeps her out of my way while still letting her feel included in all the working. Given, it requires you have enough room for a makeshift cat bed on the desk....

Back