Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Onyx

Lairian
Hi. This is my first time posting here. I read through a lot of threads when I first got my Sphynx and found this forum really helpful. I have an issue that I'm trying to fix and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or tips.

My Sphynx cat, Clyde, is not even a year old yet, but he's been getting into a lot of trouble. He's the sweetest cat I have ever met and me and my family fell completely in love with him. I did a ton of research before getting him [as he is not only my first Sphynx cat but also my first cat in general] and everything was going great for a while. Then, when he was around five or six months old, he had to get surgery in his intestines for swallowing a piece of plastic that we couldn't recognize. We were heartbroken, and it was very difficult for him and us to go through it, not to mention how ridiculously expensive it was. I started to watch him a little bit more closely after that.

Just two months later, he started vomiting again, and it turns out he swallowed THREE foreign bodies this time. I couldn't believe it. He loves to chew on plastic, on strings, electrical cords, rubber bands and hair ties. I don't know what to do with him. After the second surgery, I was so upset and felt so awful that I became extremely strict with him. He is always under supervision, and he stays in my room most of the time. He has a cage with a pet bed inside where he sleeps at night now. He used to sleep in my bed with me but he would wake up earlier than me and wander around my room and I am a heavy sleeper so I can't trust that I will wake up with him to watch him.

Recently, we put him in the cage and went downstairs to eat dinner really quick. It was less than 45 minutes and I came back and he chewed up and swallowed a part of his blanket that had thick decorative stitching on one end. We rushed to the ER and they forced him to vomit it out since we found it right after it happened. Now I can't even cover him with a blanket at night. I put two sweaters on him at a time to keep him warm through the winter but it breaks my heart that I can't cover him with a blanket anymore.

At this point I gave up on trying to predict what he would chew since it seemed impossible so instead I decided to just watch him instead to keep him out of trouble. He stays in the cage when I'm in school as I'm a college student and I'm not always home. I took only online courses this semester so now I'm always around so he's gotten used to being outside of the cage a little more since I can supervise him more. So now I have a new issue, it seems he's peeing in the cage, I think maybe to tell me that he doesn't like being in there, especially since I'm home more and he's in there less? I would have never put him in a cage when I first got him, but after the second surgery I just couldn't let him walk around freely all the time. At this point it could kill him. I've tried taking him to his litter box before putting him in the cage but he's stubborn and doesn't want to use it now unless he decides to do it himself without me asking him to [which is strange because before he would go when I did that]. I don't know if it's his way of telling me he doesn't like the cage. I don't think it's the litter because he's used that litter for a long time, at least four months, without any problems.

I can't afford any more surgeries [and pet insurance companies don't want to cover it at this point] and even if I could I don't think he can go through so many procedures. It feels cruel at this point. I love him so much and I have been trying to train him out of it. He's definitely responsive, he's learned not to jump on the kitchen counters when he used to do that constantly. But this chewing and swallowing thing is taking a long time to train him out of. I made up a word, "junk," for stuff that he shouldn't be eating to try to make the training more effective, but now a new behavioral issue has come up with him peeing and one time even pooing in his cage. The vet asked if he was taken away from his mother early and he wasn't, the breeder had us wait until he was three months old to take him home. So I don't think that's it.

Sorry for the long post, I didn't want to leave anything out. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. This is my first time posting here. I read through a lot of threads when I first got my Sphynx and found this forum really helpful. I have an issue that I'm trying to fix and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or tips.

My Sphynx cat, Clyde, is not even a year old yet, but he's been getting into a lot of trouble. He's the sweetest cat I have ever met and me and my family fell completely in love with him. I did a ton of research before getting him [as he is not only my first Sphynx cat but also my first cat in general] and everything was going great for a while. Then, when he was around five or six months old, he had to get surgery in his intestines for swallowing a piece of plastic that we couldn't recognize. We were heartbroken, and it was very difficult for him and us to go through it, not to mention how ridiculously expensive it was. I started to watch him a little bit more closely after that.

Just two months later, he started vomiting again, and it turns out he swallowed THREE foreign bodies this time. I couldn't believe it. He loves to chew on plastic, on strings, electrical cords, rubber bands and hair ties. I don't know what to do with him. After the second surgery, I was so upset and felt so awful that I became extremely strict with him. He is always under supervision, and he stays in my room most of the time. He has a cage with a pet bed inside where he sleeps at night now. He used to sleep in my bed with me but he would wake up earlier than me and wander around my room and I am a heavy sleeper so I can't trust that I will wake up with him to watch him.

Recently, we put him in the cage and went downstairs to eat dinner really quick. It was less than 45 minutes and I came back and he chewed up and swallowed a part of his blanket that had thick decorative stitching on one end. We rushed to the ER and they forced him to vomit it out since we found it right after it happened. Now I can't even cover him with a blanket at night. I put two sweaters on him at a time to keep him warm through the winter but it breaks my heart that I can't cover him with a blanket anymore.

At this point I gave up on trying to predict what he would chew since it seemed impossible so instead I decided to just watch him instead to keep him out of trouble. He stays in the cage when I'm in school as I'm a college student and I'm not always home. I took only online courses this semester so now I'm always around so he's gotten used to being outside of the cage a little more since I can supervise him more. So now I have a new issue, it seems he's peeing in the cage, I think maybe to tell me that he doesn't like being in there, especially since I'm home more and he's in there less? I would have never put him in a cage when I first got him, but after the second surgery I just couldn't let him walk around freely all the time. At this point it could kill him. I've tried taking him to his litter box before putting him in the cage but he's stubborn and doesn't want to use it now unless he decides to do it himself without me asking him to [which is strange because before he would go when I did that]. I don't know if it's his way of telling me he doesn't like the cage. I don't think it's the litter because he's used that litter for a long time, at least four months, without any problems.

I can't afford any more surgeries [and pet insurance companies don't want to cover it at this point] and even if I could I don't think he can go through so many procedures. It feels cruel at this point. I love him so much and I have been trying to train him out of it. He's definitely responsive, he's learned not to jump on the kitchen counters when he used to do that constantly. But this chewing and swallowing thing is taking a long time to train him out of. I made up a word, "junk," for stuff that he shouldn't be eating to try to make the training more effective, but now a new behavioral issue has come up with him peeing and one time even pooing in his cage. The vet asked if he was taken away from his mother early and he wasn't, the breeder had us wait until he was three months old to take him home. So I don't think that's it.

Sorry for the long post, I didn't want to leave anything out. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do?
Hello,
Sorry to hear of this issue. It sounds like Pica. Its a disorder where pets eat plastic and other items non- food related. It stems from boredom but can also be from a deficiency in their diet, inadequate amounts of fiber. What are you feeding? Also underlying medical conditions can be the culprit. As long as your vet has cleared him for any health issues, you need to first scour the home and sort of "child proof" it.

Remove those items he most commonly gets into and eats. For example, put hair ties and small objects in heavy jars with tops, anything that can't be put away should be sprayed with Grannick's bitter Apple spray (Petsmart or any other pet supply store has it.) Replace home items he chews with cat toys that can't be eaten or only available during playtime with his humans - or even "cat grass" you can purchase at pet stores. They even make plastic covers for electric cords to prevent chewing.

They need playtime, Lots of it, these cats require a lot of human interaction or they will become bored and acquire behavioral issues like urinating out of the box and even Pica to name a few. I searched the site for others with similar issues for you to browse through and maybe find other ideas. Pica issues - hope it gets better for you. :)

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
I agree sounds like Pica-great advice given by admin-
Also, how big is the crate? Pres it have a litter box in it?
I would plan on making set times to play with him- Dabird toy works great to wear them out-
And only use supervised and a must to lock it away afterwards-

I would consider having him vet checked to rule out any urinary infection issues- and discuss possible Pica issue ?

I am sure others will chime in-
(( healing hugs)))
Keep us updated on your baby

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry to hear about the pica issue. I would also consider discussing medication options with your vet n addition to the great advice above. Sending healing thoughts your way. Keep us updated.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, I think it's Pica, also, you need to clean with enzyme cleaner
where he has speeded and poo. Or He will continue. That's the only
thing that works. Keep us updated about him.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine will chew on all the same things if left out. Molly can find a stray hair tie and eat it in just a few minutes. I now only have one at a time, and it is in my hair or on my wrist.

I agree that I would look into psych meds for him. And he needs a great deal of company and stimulation through play, especially at that age. If he is now yet a year old, he is in his "teenage" phase, when they are at their wildest and most crazy.

Is there a room that you could kitty proof and leave him in, instead of the cage? They are not meant to be kennelled for any period of time. I understand that you are trying to do it for his safety, but it could lead to even more issues.

Let us know what happens with him, and what the vet says. Hope you can get this sorted!

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree it sounds like pica. I thought that there was someone else mentioning theor cat had done this but I cannot remember who. I hope they see this and respond.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've heard about pica but have never seen it. Just as another possibility I will throw this out there.....one of my cats will start eating bristles on a sweeper when she gets hungry. It's a little hand sweeper not more than 6 inches long that I keep in the kitchen for little cleanups. I thought I would solve the problem by putting it in a plastic grocery bag...I wrapped it up and slid it between the refrigerator and the wall where it was a tight fit....and would you believe the cat still manages to pull it out, get in the bag and eat the bristles. When they want something bad enough there's no stopping them. How does she even know it's there?!!! But the good thing is that if I feed her, she stops doing that. So I don't know if your cat is eating from hunger? Or maybe from boredom?

I think the cage idea is not a good long term solution, and you have found that out because your kitten's behavior has changed for the worse. If you could at least put him in a bathroom where he has more room that would be better. Be sure you put away all the stuff that's normally out....soaps, creams, toothbrushes, whatever. Hide the toilet paper roll. Just have an empty space that he can't get into trouble. I would put a small cat trees in there too, so he doesn't have to lay on the floor. Also put a litter box, some water, some food, and a toy in there with him. When you can watch him, let him out of the bathroom. Remember these little creatures crave interaction. Even the bathroom is not a good enough permanent solution but it's better than a cage. Hope this helps.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just googled "pica in cats" and there's a lot of info online. A few of the leading causes - being taken from the mother too soon, deficiency in the diet, boredom or stress. A few suggestions for dealing with it - adjust the diet, interactive play with you, remove the tempting objects, provide safe alternatives (such as kitty grass which they can safely eat).

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
For cats who start peeing out of the litter box there is a litter especially for this called Cat Attract. If you take him out of the cage and he still pees where he shouldn't, I would try Cat Attract. However, I do think he's rebelling against the cage and if you keep him in there even Cat Attract may not work.

Onyx

Lairian
Wow, I can't believe I got so many responses so quickly! The support here is amazing, thank you. I'll try to respond to everything that was asked in one post.

About his diet, I feed him freeze-dried raw from Primal. He loves it, and his poo looks the best when he's eating it. I feed him three times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He actually tells me when he's hungry and it's time for his next meal.

About the cage -- I used to never, ever keep him in it. I wouldn't even consider it. When he had the first surgery, the vet told us to keep him in the cage with a cone to prevent him from playing/running/jumping until we can take the cone off. I just kept him there for the 10 days and then put the cage away. Then after the second surgery needed to happen, I kept it around because that's what the vet recommended.

The cage isn't big enough for a litter box, there is a bathroom in my room so I keep the cage in my room and the litter box in the bathroom. He was always really good about using the litter box. We live in a two-story house and I didn't even need to buy more than one box because he would just go to the litter box in my bathroom whenever he needed to go. So that's why it's so surprising that he's having issues all of a sudden.

I don't think he's chewing and swallowing things from hunger because that one time when he ate the blanket was right after he had dinner. I think it's more for fun or as a game than hunger.

As for the boredom possibility, that may be the case. He isn't in the cage all day, just if I can't watch him [if I have to leave the house, if I'm going downstairs to eat, etc.]. He also sleeps there now because I'm worried he will eat things when I'm sleeping. The majority of the time he is outside of the cage, but I do feel like I need to buy him more toys. He's eleven months old now, and is finally starting to calm down just a little bit, and actually likes it when I sit in my bed and go on my laptop and he can lay down under the blanket in between my legs. I'm going to look for toys that can keep him entertained longer, I got him some smaller tennis balls the other day and he loves those. He used to have a lot more toys but when he started eating things we had to take some of them away [one of the things he swallowed and needed to get out surgically was a piece of his toy]. I understand that they need human interaction and I do spend most of my day with him. I try to set aside time for playing with him but I also want to look into toys that can entertain him even when I'm not there.

The problem is that he IS so social that sometimes he wants more playtime that I can give him. I try my best to interact with him and I do give him lots of affection but he is incredibly attached to me. He cries if I leave him in a room by himself and if someone else is holding him and I leave the room he watches me leave and looks to see why I'm leaving him. It's difficult to find a balance sometimes. I am willing to try anything that you guys recommend though because I love him so much and want to keep him safe.

As for leaving him in a room by himself and child proofing it... I can try but he's very smart and in the past has found things to chew on that I never imagined him being interested in. That's the difficult part. I will look into it though, I'll try to see if I can childproof the bathroom as much as possible.

As for the Bitter Apple spray, I am definitely interested. I do have a question though -- how safe is it? Because if I put it on my laptop charger, for example, then I would be touching it a LOT, and it will rub against my bed and stuff, so I want to make sure that if I touch it and touch my face or his face that it won't cause any irritation. Is it safe to get it on your skin or your face?

We've discussed this issue with the vet many times and they didn't prescribe any medication. They did prescribe a sticky gel when he swallowed the blanket to try to encourage anything that may still be in there to pass on its own after they induced vomiting and luckily we didn't have any problems. But nothing for long term use. Like I said, they recommended the cage and being stricter with him, so that's what we did.

I really dislike the cage as well and I keep him out of the cage as much as possible. Most of the time he's in my room with me and once or twice a day I let him run around the entire house while I follow him to make sure he isn't getting into any trouble.

I will research Pica some more [it's nice to finally have a word for it!] and also look into getting some kitty grass. I will also look for enzyme cleaner. I'm considering behavioral therapy, would that be a good idea for this?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I understand the clingy nature... Molly is like that. I am home pretty much all day, and when I am sitting/ laying, she is on top of me. If I leave a room, even if she is sound asleep, within 2 minutes she is looking for me. She yells to have a bed made for her in the kitchen when I am doing dishes. I don't know that there is anything you can do to change it, unfortunately.

As for a kitty-proof room to leave him in, I would start out with a thick towel for him to lay on. Mine eat blankets too - I find only the cheap fleece ones. They chew holes in them, and Leo was pooping pieces of blanket at one point. I now avoid those kinds, and they don't chew blankets any more.

These ball in track type toys would be a good option, they are for self play and there is nothing to chew on:
2015-01-26-21-55-34--1463621039.jpeg

I have also seen laser dot toys that turn on and randomize for the cat to play while you are gone. Put something in there that he can scratch on, and maybe a toy that dispenses treats when they roll it around.

Hang in there, it just sounds like you got a little stinker who wants you all the time.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm getting mixed signals from your post on how much time Clyde is in the cage but if he's inappropriately peeing he is sending you a message. Now your mission is to figure out what he's telling you so you can fix it. A toy is a good thing but I don't think he's asking for a toy.

Kitty proofing a bathroom means you would take everything out; it doesn't matter how smart Clyde is because there won't be anything for him to get into trouble with. However, if you are going to keep him in a cage instead of a bathroom, you should at least get a cage that has enough space for a small litter box and a little further away a water bowl so the litter doesn't get kicked into the water. Not that I like the cage idea but if he's peeing where he has to sleep that's going to stress him out more than what he probably already is.

If your vet doesn't think there is a problem I would go see another vet, but could you be misinterpreting what he's telling you? I almost get the feeling you want to hear that you're doing fine and just keep going but I think unfortunately you've got a kitty that needs help. The things you are doing are helping get around the problem but not solving it. You still need to get to the root of the problem. I wish you and Clyde all the best.

Onyx

Lairian
I understand the clingy nature... Molly is like that. I am home pretty much all day, and when I am sitting/ laying, she is on top of me. If I leave a room, even if she is sound asleep, within 2 minutes she is looking for me. She yells to have a bed made for her in the kitchen when I am doing dishes. I don't know that there is anything you can do to change it, unfortunately.

As for a kitty-proof room to leave him in, I would start out with a thick towel for him to lay on. Mine eat blankets too - I find only the cheap fleece ones. They chew holes in them, and Leo was pooping pieces of blanket at one point. I now avoid those kinds, and they don't chew blankets any more.

These ball in track type toys would be a good option, they are for self play and there is nothing to chew on:
View attachment 55381
I have also seen laser dot toys that turn on and randomize for the cat to play while you are gone. Put something in there that he can scratch on, and maybe a toy that dispenses treats when they roll it around.

Hang in there, it just sounds like you got a little stinker who wants you all the time.

The blanket he ate was actually one of the cheap fleece ones that I got at PetSmart. He only ate the part with the decorative stitching though, there was a picture of a kitty stitched on one corner and he only ate that part. But now I'm worried that he'll try to eat other kinds of blankets because he liked eating that one. I'll get another pet bed and put that in the bathroom, I think that would be safer than a towel for him [hopefully].

I will try to find toys like those, and to childproof the bathroom. Thank you so much for your help.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know if he would eat at the rug material on a scratching post....at least the rug covering is a soft surface to lay on. Just an idea.

Onyx

Lairian
I'm getting mixed signals from your post on how much time Clyde is in the cage but if he's inappropriately peeing he is sending you a message. Now your mission is to figure out what he's telling you so you can fix it. A toy is a good thing but I don't think he's asking for a toy.

Kitty proofing a bathroom means you would take everything out; it doesn't matter how smart Clyde is because there won't be anything for him to get into trouble with. However, if you are going to keep him in a cage instead of a bathroom, you should at least get a cage that has enough space for a small litter box and a little further away a water bowl so the litter doesn't get kicked into the water. Not that I like the cage idea but if he's peeing where he has to sleep that's going to stress him out more than what he probably already is.

If your vet doesn't think there is a problem I would go see another vet, but could you be misinterpreting what he's telling you? I almost get the feeling you want to hear that you're doing fine and just keep going but I think unfortunately you've got a kitty that needs help. The things you are doing are helping get around the problem but not solving it. You still need to get to the root of the problem. I wish you and Clyde all the best.

I think you're misunderstanding my posts. I am simply explaining why I did what I did, and why I put him in a cage in the first place. I am not looking for excuses to keep him in a cage at all. I hated the cage idea when the vet recommended it.

I know he's not asking for a toy while he's in the cage. The toys are for when he's not in the cage and wants to play when I may not be able to play with him.

I don't want to hear I'm doing fine because I want to fix this problem. If I was doing fine he wouldn't be peeing in his cage, I'm aware of that. I was out of ideas and the vets weren't helping enough so I came here because I know you guys have a lot of experience with this breed. I am just explaining my situation so you guys understand everything that happened at this point, not so much insisting that I'm doing the right things because I'm not sure I am. I'm sorry if I seem stubborn, I don't mean to. I've had long conversations with multiple vets at the emergency clinic that did his surgeries. They all told me that I just have to keep hair ties and strings away from him [which is what I did and he hasn't swallowed any of those since], to keep him in a cage when I can't watch him, and to try my best to supervise him. I was hoping there would be a better option but they said they don't know what else I could do so I decided to ask you guys.

I don't know what could possibly be the root of the problem. According to these vets he just likes to chew on things and that's all there is to it. I kept asking what could be done and they just kept telling me that that is the way he is. So far everyone on here is already more helpful than the vets were.

Onyx

Lairian
I don't know if he would eat at the rug material on a scratching post....at least the rug covering is a soft surface to lay on. Just an idea.

I was also thinking of getting a small scratching post with a bed on top of it for the bathroom. The bathroom is really small but if I find one that fits I'll consider it. He has a big cat tree downstairs and so far the only part he tried to eat was the strings with balls hanging from them, not the bed material. So that may be a good option. I'll see if I can find one that fits. I'll definitely put a scratching post and some kind of bed though.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Onyx , good morning
Just wanted to pass along an option for a bed thinking outside the box- I use k9 ballistic beds for my big boys-
They have a 90 day chew guarantee :) and I just saw they sell small size covers you could fill with a blanket or towels :)

http://www.theuncommondog.com/k-9-ballistics-round-tuff-bed-cover-only.html

I have the super size dog k9 ballistic dog beds for 2 years now and never a chew hole- my ole boy even pics it up and shakes it :) and it is still like new- it Velcro closes so no zipper to chomp on - I wash my on gentle and it's like new

I use an ultimate cat scratcher with the optional perch and pad-The perch and pad are sold separately-
I buy from chewy.com - amazing customer service- if not satisfied for any reason - call them - they are amazing- often tell you to donate item and give you a full refund- or will send a shipping label

If your baby chews to call the company to return /refund

*** perhaps Velcro the k9 ballistics small round cover filled with your own material to the smart cat ultimate scratching post , or put it in a cat tree-

I actually dragged their tall cat tree in the bathroom when I brought the adoptees home and kept them separated from the resident cats for a bit--

I made the bathroom a little kitty palace for a week-
I brought a measuring tape to the store to get things to fit-
Even a shelf bolted to the wall as a perch may be nice-

I would kitty proof the bathroom and make it kitty friendly like you are thinking

I would never crate without a litter box in it

I have for my big boys crate training the Sl54DD Crate from petco avail online only- free shipping to your door and often on sale- I keep it up with door open and often find kitties rolling around inside of it!
Big enough for a kitty box ,etc-
http://t.petco.com/product/111892/M...uble-Door-Dog-Crate.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch. It goes on sale I swear for 159-179 every other day it seems with the free shipping - best crate I ever bought

I know you are trying for solutions and I just wanted to relay what stuff I have for dogs that may work for kitty!
I will send more links

They also make kitty Kongs which my dogs have yet to chew up-
I am just thinking outside the box for your baby-

I also give mine ping pong balls to bat around - no frills kinda toys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Onyx

Lairian
@Onyx , good morning
Just wanted to pass along an option for a bed thinking outside the box- I use k9 ballistic beds for my big boys-
They have a 90 day chew guarantee :) and I just saw they sell small size covers you could fill with a blanket or towels :)

http://www.theuncommondog.com/k-9-ballistics-round-tuff-bed-cover-only.html

I have the super size dog k9 ballistic dog beds for 2 years now and never a chew hole- my ole boy even pics it up and shakes it :) and it is still like new- it Velcro closes so no zipper to chomp on - I wash my on gentle and it's like new

I use an ultimate cat scratcher with the optional perch and pad-The perch and pad are sold separately-
I buy from chewy.com - amazing customer service- if not satisfied for any reason - call them - they are amazing- often tell you to donate item and give you a full refund- or will send a shipping label

If your baby chews to call the company to return /refund

*** perhaps Velcro the k9 ballistics small round cover filled with your own material to the smart cat ultimate scratching post , or put it in a cat tree-

I actually dragged their tall cat tree in the bathroom when I brought the adoptees home and kept them separated from the resident cats for a bit--

I made the bathroom a little kitty palace for a week-
I brought a measuring tape to the store to get things to fit-
Even a shelf bolted to the wall as a perch may be nice-

I would kitty proof the bathroom and make it kitty friendly like you are thinking

I would never crate without a litter box in it

I have for my big boys crate training the Sl54DD Crate from petco avail online only- free shipping to your door and often on sale- I keep it up with door open and often find kitties rolling around inside of it!
Big enough for a kitty box ,etc-
http://t.petco.com/product/111892/M...uble-Door-Dog-Crate.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch. It goes on sale I swear for 159-179 every other day it seems with the free shipping - best crate I ever bought

I know you are trying for solutions and I just wanted to relay what stuff I have for dogs that may work for kitty!
I will send more links

They also make kitty Kongs which my dogs have yet to chew up-
I am just thinking outside the box for your baby-

I also give mine ping pong balls to bat around - no frills kinda toys

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is so helpful!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some great suggestions in here. Also remember the Cat Attract litter.

As far as vets go, be sure you let the vet know how you are getting around the problem with a cage. It's hard to fathom that they wouldn't have more insight or suggestions considering the situation. Emergency vets are always in a hurry though so it needs to be the a regular vet who takes the time.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Onyx , Ps: catnip can have a calming effect - catnip rubbed on a dog ballistic material toy makes a good kicker toy-
My bengals loved kicking the snot out of dog retieiving toys -- they use dog toys all time
http://t.petco.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=Tuffys+&x=0&y=0

I used a catnip toy in a crat of my adoptees who were supposedly travelers...
Calm and not a peep in a 6 1/2 hour drive

Also- to calm in crates and relax - you could get some ballistic fabric and cover a side of the crate

I really hope you can transition your baby gradually to free roaming in a kitty proof zone

I am still trying to think outside the box of you and your baby :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you grow catnip or grass, make sure it's in a ceramic bowl, or he will eat it.
Try some bitter apple, it won't hurt him at all. Try the cat attract for the litter box and a feliway diffusier.
I would give him some catnip to see. @MollysMom has a good idea about the toys and laser pointers.
Do you have a University close where you live with Veterinary Medicine?

Onyx

Lairian
Some great suggestions in here. Also remember the Cat Attract litter.

As far as vets go, be sure you let the vet know how you are getting around the problem with a cage. It's hard to fathom that they wouldn't have more insight or suggestions considering the situation. Emergency vets are always in a hurry though so it needs to be the a regular vet who takes the time.

I've had really long discussions with these vets though, some of them at least a half hour long. I've also talked with all the vet techs. We actually had one of the vets come to our house and had her talk to us about this problem. We basically know everyone there now and they all said the same things, we kept asking the same questions like "Why is this happening?" "How do we prevent this?" "Is that our only option?" "Are you sure there's nothing else we can do?" etc. I might try to find another vet to see what they say.

@Onyx , Ps: catnip can have a calming effect - catnip rubbed on a dog ballistic material toy makes a good kicker toy-
My bengals loved kicking the snot out of dog retieiving toys -- they use dog toys all time
http://t.petco.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=Tuffys+&x=0&y=0

I used a catnip toy in a crat of my adoptees who were supposedly travelers...
Calm and not a peep in a 6 1/2 hour drive

Also- to calm in crates and relax - you could get some ballistic fabric and cover a side of the crate

I really hope you can transition your baby gradually to free roaming in a kitty proof zone

I am still trying to think outside the box of you and your baby :)

I actually got him a super durable nyla bone from the dog section at the pet store that he can chew on under supervision to see if that gives him something safer to chew on. He likes it but he mostly likes kicking it around more than chewing it. I don't know if that's a good sign or if that just means it's too durable for him to enjoy chewing on it in the same way as the other stuff he swallowed. Hopefully that means he doesn't feel the need to chew constantly.

I think I have some catnip that came with a scratching post... I'll see if he likes it.

If you grow catnip or grass, make sure it's in a ceramic bowl, or he will eat it.
Try some bitter apple, it won't hurt him at all. Try the cat attract for the litter box and a feliway diffusier.
I would give him some catnip to see. @MollysMom has a good idea about the toys and laser pointers.
Do you have a University close where you live with Veterinary Medicine?

Thanks for the tip for the grass! I almost bought some today.

I bought the Bitter Apple spray today and will try it.

I've never heard of a feliway diffuser... I looked it up and will read some more about it.

I live in the Bay Area in California so I'm sure there's a university with veterinary medicine here. Why?

Back