Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problems are already starting because of Kitty Galore

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

People want sphynx and think they are easy to care for because of this movie.
Wrinkles breeder has already had many phone calls from people wanting a sphynx because of the movie.
She has turned all of them down.
I am getting asked if sphynx bite now.
Also people are telling me they want a sphynx because of the movie.
I tell them they are not easy to care for like furry cats and they get oil all over the place.

Kitty is a bare naked freak of a cat, previously a pampered Persian who was stripped of her fur after being hurled into a vat of hair remover. She nurses a grudge against every person and animal that ever crossed her and has hatched a plan involving robotics, space satellites, high tech underground mazes and a flock of animal slaves to have her vengeance.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG - that is so weird how people react to an animated character. DING DONG - is anybody there? We (the family) are seeing the film this weekend.:Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots of movies with animals and from time to time these animals become a fad. People should think before they buy and breeders be sure they give all the info they can.

We are not movie people and will wait for it to be on dvd.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG - that is so weird how people react to an animated character. DING DONG - is anybody there?

I can answer that! Nope, they're all "out to lunch" as we say in the hospital. The same thing happened with ferrets back in the early '80s after Beast Master was released.

People are dingbats. Course I'm a dingbat too but at least I'm not THAT dingy (I hope).

Bella07

Banned
I haven't heard much about that movie, only saw one commercial for it. I suppose I want to go and see it then. Hopefully breeders will be scanning potential buyers even more closely to ward off those just interested in having a sphynx as a "joke."

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can answer that! Nope, they're all "out to lunch" as we say in the hospital. The same thing happened with ferrets back in the early '80s after Beast Master was released.

People are dingbats. Course I'm a dingbat too but at least I'm not THAT dingy (I hope).
HAHAHAHA.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mom, my son and I saw it yesterday. Mom was amazed at how Kitty Galore looked exactly like a Sphynx. She said how do they do that - they even have the posturing down. It was cute and we all enjoyed it. Bette Midler did the voice for Kitty Galore. Know I want a female Sphynx.:Smile:

Pyramid

Lairian
Remeber the Taco Bell commerical with the Chihuahua? everyone wanted a little Chi after that commercial......... many of them ended up in rescue or in the pound

I am sure many responsible breeders are very quick to weed out the people who are not genuine about opening their home to a Sphynx......

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Remeber the Taco Bell commerical with the Chihuahua? everyone wanted a little Chi after that commercial......... many of them ended up in rescue or in the pound

I am sure many responsible breeders are very quick to weed out the people who are not genuine about opening their home to a Sphynx......
I think you are right. Breeders will probably pick up on it and screen out the crazies.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I actually saw a classified selling kittens the other day, which mentioned the movie. Something along the lines of "How about your very own Kitty Galore" :Angry:
You would think breeders would know better, not to try to boost 'sales' of their kittens that way.:Dizzy:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I actually saw a classified selling kittens the other day, which mentioned the movie. Something along the lines of "How about your very own Kitty Galore" :Angry:
You would think breeders would know better, not to try to boost 'sales' of their kittens that way.:Dizzy:

How disappointing. But somehow I'm not surprised.

KushielsTart

Lairian
Do you guys remember the crazy episode of Friends where Jennifer Aniston gets a sphynx and it's so horrible and mean that she can't touch it without putting oven mitts on? I still occasionally have people ask if they are mean, and cite that show as an example. It's amazing that people can base a decision off of something like that. I still feel sorry for all of the (responsible and loving) pittbull/bulldog owners that have to put up with stereotypes like that everyday.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Do you guys remember the crazy episode of Friends where Jennifer Aniston gets a sphynx and it's so horrible and mean that she can't touch it without putting oven mitts on? I still occasionally have people ask if they are mean, and cite that show as an example. It's amazing that people can base a decision off of something like that. I still feel sorry for all of the (responsible and loving) pittbull/bulldog owners that have to put up with stereotypes like that everyday.

I remember that episode. Rach was my favorite until that episode. I was so dissapointed they turned her character into a heartless B! lol

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That Friends episode made me kinda mad. To this day, I still get asked if that's how sphynx are.

Do you guys remember that old David Spade comedy called Just Shoot Me? There was a rerun on the other day where his girlfriend's furry cat was really sick and he gave it CPR & it was magically all better. His character said something like, "Hypercardiomyopathy, it's common in cats" and brushed his hands together. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive (ok, I KNOW I am!) but again, really???? They couldn't just have said, "Hairball?" Okay, gettin' off my soapbox now :Impish:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
That Friends episode made me kinda mad. To this day, I still get asked if that's how sphynx are.

Do you guys remember that old David Spade comedy called Just Shoot Me? There was a rerun on the other day where his girlfriend's furry cat was really sick and he gave it CPR & it was magically all better. His character said something like, "Hypercardiomyopathy, it's common in cats" and brushed his hands together. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive (ok, I KNOW I am!) but again, really???? They couldn't just have said, "Hairball?" Okay, gettin' off my soapbox now :Impish:

I totally understand your angst,,it was almost like they were making fun or making light of the situation, regardless of them acting or not!:Angry:

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
A couple of the neighbourhood kids came over to see Teeka on the weekend and the first things out of their mouths' was "Look, it's Kitty Galore!!!". After a few minutes of Teeka loving on them, one of the little fellas said: "She's better than Kitty Galore - she isn't even evil!"

Oh if they only knew. :Wink:

Back