Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

problems registering a kitten

greeneyes

Lairian
Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone might be able to help. I bought a kitten a few months ago from a breeder in another state. She came with registration papers. I sent in the form that was filled out by the breeder and did not receive her papers. I called the organization to find out if there was a problem. They said there was a problem with the color of the mother of the kitten. I contacted the breeder to let her know. She called the organization and told them that the color of her cats were accurate. It is months later and I did get registration papers, but the color listed is wrong. They list my kitten is being a blue tabby when she is actually a black and white kitten. I have gotten no response from the breeder when I attempt to contact her, and the woman I spoke to from the registering organization said that there was nothing I could do. I paid for a pedigree but received credit because of the color inaccuracy. I don't understand why I was given registration papers (with the wrong color listed) but could not get a pedigree. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? I am not sure what to do. I was hoping to breed her in the future, but I don't think that is possible with her having false information on her registration papers. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:

PitRottMommy

Banned
You might try contacting the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.com). They're going to have more information on this type of situation and how it's normally handled and what they would recommend doing.

In addition, make sure that you're HCM screening your breeding adults before deciding they're good for breeding. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a huge deal in sphynx cats and can mean not only the death of adults but also the death of kittens. It's important that all those that intend to breed be doing the best they can for the health and continuance of the sphynx. Without health in mind, we may eventually smother out the existance of a generally healthy feline...who just happens to be sporting very little fur. ;)

ETA: Mentioning what registry might help all of us to keep an eye out.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Greeneyes and welcome to Sphynx Lair! Sorry to hear about your situation. We had a problem with one of the organizations also, which turned into a nightmare for us with acquiring papers. My wife will lead you in the right direction when she comes on later on what to do. Thanks for joining!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone might be able to help. I bought a kitten a few months ago from a breeder in another state. She came with registration papers. I sent in the form that was filled out by the breeder and did not receive her papers. I called the organization to find out if there was a problem. They said there was a problem with the color of the mother of the kitten. I contacted the breeder to let her know. She called the organization and told them that the color of her cats were accurate. It is months later and I did get registration papers, but the color listed is wrong. They list my kitten is being a blue tabby when she is actually a black and white kitten. I have gotten no response from the breeder when I attempt to contact her, and the woman I spoke to from the registering organization said that there was nothing I could do. I paid for a pedigree but received credit because of the color inaccuracy. I don't understand why I was given registration papers (with the wrong color listed) but could not get a pedigree. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? I am not sure what to do. I was hoping to breed her in the future, but I don't think that is possible with her having false information on her registration papers. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Hi and welcome! We did have A problem, are you dealing with CFA or TICA? I could guess and say it is CFA? (let us know) First the papers took forever to get, them when I got them they had my Leo regestered as A female ( ok I also registered A litter how do I do that if I have 2 females as parents) So they fixed that after A struggle then when I got the next papers they had Leo as being like 8 years old, he is 2 and the owners name was Tammy (my name is Heather) after finding A nice lady at cfa everything was fixed and she emailed it to me to check before she mailed anything out!:Sweat: It did take awile! But everything worked out! Did you make A copy of the papers before you sent them?(this is always A good idea) if you did look it over and make sure everything is correct in the color box that the breeder filled out. It can be corrected just takes some time and A bit of energy, let me know if I can help I would be glad to!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would think it is CFA also because my sister had a problem also.
She si going to get a DNA test soon.
CFA can be very rude sometimes on the phone also.
TICA has always been nice.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes CFA was A pain I could have went either way but picked cfa because they are in Jersey, I will say they did fix the problem and once I wound up with the correct person she was nice. On the other hand if the breeder messed up the paper work and put the info wrong it is not there fault they just go by what you say the colors ect.

greeneyes

Lairian
Hello and thank you for the replies,

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention specifics. It is TICA that I am dealing with. The breeder does not return their calls. Our case will be reviewed by TICA in a month. The person I spoke to said I could call back to see if there was any progress. I'm baffled at why they would put in the wrong color after I sent in a picture. I had questioned the color that the breeder put in because she wrote "dark grey" in the color box. I've heard of blue, but never heard a cat listed as grey. She is definitely not a blue tabby like TICA registered her as. I'm left wondering if anything the breeder said is accurate. Was she really vaccinated? Was she really screened for HCM? The experience has made me much more cautious. Even with all the chaos, I feel lucky to have Esme. Regardless of the messed up pedigree, she is a wonderful companion.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your right there is no dark grey.
Grey should be listed as blue.
I never heard of the breeder you used either.
I tried to look her up but there was no info on her.
Sphynx do not get scanned for HCM until they are 1 years old at least.
If she said she scanned the kitten it is bs.
Did you get a shot record?
Ask for proof of the shots.
Sounds like she scammed you.
Sorry about that.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
In your case I think we can not blame tica but the breeder she is in the wrong and even though tica is trying to contact her. you should send her A certified letter your self, and if you have A contract (you should) file A complaint if she will not help fix this. Also as far as the shots if she gave you the records (from A vet) not something she wrote down then you can call the vet and ask them if the paper work you have matches there records if she did not give you something from a vet you can assume that they where not done, and have your vet start from scratch! All in All it sounds like you have gotten A pet that you will love very much for A long long time but have learned A lesson along the way!:Sweat: This happens to the best of us, it happend to me with our first boxer, and I have spent the past 9 years nursing A dog to health just to try to make her have some quality of life and there was not much I could do to the crappy breeder I got her from, and I still love my Sydney!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow I'm really counting myself lucky. I went into getting Meecho totally blind and not having a clue as to what to do. I even got her from the person who orginally bought her from the breeder. Once I got her they never sent me the application to get her registered and wouldn't answer any of my emails. As a stroke of luck I found the breeder and got in contact with her and she just happened to have an extra application for one of the babies she still had there and filled it out for me and sent it to me. I honestly wasn't even going to have her registered because I was just so thrilled to have her. It was when I was making her scrapbook I started to think about how great it would look in there that I started to try to get the application. I would never have imagined that people would have problems when they bought DIRECTLY from the breeder. Hearing all this will definately help me when it's time to get an new baby.

Back