Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problems with drinking water

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A friend and I make a nice tall glass of water and Butternuts always goes for it. I have three water bowls for the little monkey, yet he always goes for our human water. I even refill one of his waters when I refill mine. I even put ice in it for that little turd. BUT HE STILL GOES FOR MY WATER. I hide my water and he goes for the toilet. Whats wrong with Butterbutts?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butternuts goal in life is to drive you crazy. Or make you crazier than you already are.

Inferno12

Banned
I think butternuts is related to Johnny. He is exactly the same way. I put a glass just like mine on the counter by his bowl so he has water just like mine but if I have a glass, he HAS to go for mine!

susi794

Staff member
Try getting him an inexpensive fountain--I got one at Petco for $17. my cats love it. Cats don't like still water so much--you keep picking yours up, the toilet keeps flushing, so the water moves and that's most likely why they prefer that- or keep a bowl in the sink under a very slowly dripping faucet.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a Drinkwell and they like it but they still prefer my beverages. They'll even tip it over if they can't sniff what's inside. Blue will beg to lick the condensation off of cups or bottles. Weird!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
yup -- moving water works...Snuffies favorite bowl is the one in the sink and thats because I refill or let the water drip in it always.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Excellent ideas. I think a drinking fountain would probably be perfect. I think I'll get one when the funds allow.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I always put my water on the table or on counters and there no cats are allowed and they know it so no problems. :)
Only one place I have to be a bit careful and that's the shelf by the window at my bed. There cats are allowd and I like to keep water so I use water bottle in my bedroom :) don't want them tipping over a glass of water when I sleep.

@Morticia:
The coughing is usually from them accidently breathing in water through their noses while drinking. Some cats just have bad drinking technique. Maybe he'll get the hang of it. :)
That's what is most probable imo at least.

TotenEngel

Banned
you think that's a problem???
One of my furry babies is an absolute tea fiend, you cannot leave a cup of tea anywhere in his reach! If it is too hot, he will dip his paw in it and then lick it from his paw! He has even been known to pull the cup away from my mouth as I am drinking so he can have some! We either make him a little cup when we make ours or my husband (who's not as big a tea drinker as me) will drink half his and let Red have the rest!!!

He doesn't like coffee though!! lol

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mine love beer. Don't drink much myself but when I do he is like yours is with tea.

I'll roll him a mini cigarette, give him a beer and a guitar and see if he doesn't start ripping solos. Smoke he don't mind either the few times he's been exposed to it.
Rock and Roll kittie.

Morticia

Lairian
@Morticia:
The coughing is usually from them accidently breathing in water through their noses while drinking. Some cats just have bad drinking technique. Maybe he'll get the hang of it. :)
That's what is most probable imo at least.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was that ! She's still very clumsy :p thanks for the info!!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Morticia:
That's what is most probable imo at least.

I thought it was that ! She's still very clumsy :p thanks for the info!![/QUOTE]

Yep our little guys don't have whiskers so they can't feel where the water is I suppose so there little noses end up sucking in water and they cough

Shell_Baby

Lairian
You know, the only reason that they want "OUR" water is because it's not THEIRS. Their own doesn't appeal as much as the challenge of stealing water. :ThumbsUp: Mine doesn't go for drinks as much as food off your plate! :Dizzy:

Love the tea drinking! That is too cute! Does he hold his pinky out when he drinks? :Laugh:

ktate88

Banned
Butterbutts and Niles have more in common than just their chocolate coloring!!!

Niles has 2 glasses-- one on the bedside table and one on a end table in the living room. I don't even give him a water bowl anymore because he won't drink out of it...

Haven't seen him try the toilet yet, but he likes to jump in the shower when I'm done and lick that water...

ktate88

Banned
Of topic i know:Wink:...but Niles looks like a seal mink and white to me....he looks to be the same color as my girl Flora and my boy Baloe...

He came to me described as chocolate and white bicolor... His ears are def chocolate, but it lightens on his body. His tail hairs the same as his body like a pale taupe. I call him a tuxedo as he has the "mittens" on 4 paws, white muzzle, and white on his chest.

Please let me know if I am not using the right terminology! He has changed some... his eyes were bright blue but now aqua. He has gotten darker on his body. I thought he migh be considered white and blue...???

gizmo6370

Banned
Please let me know if I am not using the right terminology! He has changed some... his eyes were bright blue but now aqua. He has gotten darker on his body. I thought he migh be considered white and blue...???

I stick with seal mink ( aqua eyes ) and white....you can look at the edges of his ears...if this is really black...then he is seal ( seal just means black ):Wink:

TotenEngel

Banned
You know, the only reason that they want "OUR" water is because it's not THEIRS. Their own doesn't appeal as much as the challenge of stealing water. :ThumbsUp: Mine doesn't go for drinks as much as food off your plate! :Dizzy:

Love the tea drinking! That is too cute! Does he hold his pinky out when he drinks? :Laugh:

I wish he had that much class! Generally it just gets splashed around everywhere lol

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
On the american pedigree charts (what are they called really?) that comes with a registered cat you natrually see the name of parents and grandparents etc but don't you also see the color codes for them?
Now I am not a genetics guy yet, studying it a bit though, but can't you at least exclude some color codes for a kitten with that information and maybe even find what few are even possible?
But I guess it is still up to a correct judgement of color in the earlier generations then ofc but there should be more rights than wrongs in those charts, right?
Serious breeders also make sure what colors their cats are so the info should be right in most generations on the charts I suppose.

So, the final queastion being:
Do you have that information? Maybe these guys who knows better than most of us can use it to narrow the possibilities a bit. :)

ktate88

Banned
I stick with seal mink ( aqua eyes ) and white....you can look at the edges of his ears...if this is really black...then he is seal ( seal just means black ):Wink:

Oh laawwd, I know dog colorings but not kitties :Dizzy: Brindle, blue, silver, fawn, parti...lol

Would he be a seal mink tuxedo? Or is that too much? I thought seal meant colored nose, too?

Sir just plopped on me and ears do look kinda black. I'll check him good in the sunlight tomorrow.

gizmo6370

Banned
He came to me described as chocolate and white bicolor...

As i said earlier in an other thread....choc and lilac are hard colors to determine...so a lot of breeders are calling their kittens choc or lilac when they are really not....so the only way to know for sure...is DNA testing on color....
We bought our russian boy Zodiac ( choc mink ) after he was DNA tested on choc....

If your not breeding...then the colors are not that importent on the pedigree....but if you are breeding....then the color has to be correct...or else you are gonna get a litter of kittens with colors that is not possible...

gizmo6370

Banned
Would he be a seal mink tuxedo? Or is that too much? I thought seal meant colored nose, too?

Sir just plopped on me and ears do look kinda black. I'll check him good in the sunlight tomorrow.

Seal mink tux ( tux is white belly and white paws ) could be....he can also be called an seal mink bi color ( bi color means half white half other color )...
Nope seal is another name for black...if Niles wasn't a mink...he would just be a regular black and white....but because he's a mink it is called seal :Smile:

Back