Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problems with foster dog and Kya

KyasMommy

Lairian
One of our foster dogs, Shandy, is about to drive me crazy. She just won't give Kya a minutes rest. We have been in the process of getting Shandy adopted but it won't happen overnight and it's never a guarantee that the adoption won't fall through at the last minute. It's not as simple as moving her to another foster home either because the group is low on foster homes. We are unsure the best way to handle the situation because this is the only dog in the house that can jump a baby gate. Shandy means no harm at all. She just wants to play but that doesn't make Kya feel any better. Kya was around dogs her whole life, but Shandy is a little over bearing. There is an extra bedroom in our house that is vacant and we have turned it into Kya's Room, but I don't want her separated from me. Keeping the foster sequestered is hard because she barks incessantly and it stresses both Kya and me out. I am trying to find comfort in the fact that this situation is not going to last forever because Shandy will be adopted eventually, but I am impatient and want Kya to be able to get used to her new home. She doesn't deserve this stress. As soon as we get these two fosters moved we are taking a break until Kya gets good and comfortable. Suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How frustrating it is to balance everyone's needs. I don't have any good advice other than keep trying to keep them separated. Hopefully things will get better with time.

Bella07

Banned
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I can't offer much advice, because honestly my three dogs don't even look at my cats. I foster animals as well, and with a few great photos, and a wonderful desciption, I have been very successful in finding animals homes on Craigslist, rather quickly. Not sure if you have tried that route yet...but, it was worth mentioning. Best of Luck!

KyasMommy

Lairian
There may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Yesterday, I got a call and did a home visit with a lady that is interested in adopting Shandy. She has already done her application, phone interview and now her 1st home visit. Her 2nd home visit will be tonight. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out. I am tired of Kya not having run of the house. She and I are currently spending the evenings locked in the computer room where I give her lots of cuddles as I surf the web or watch TV. I can't tell you how sweet this girl is. I just love her to bits.

Back