Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problums

BlueGirl

Lairian
Hey, I picked up my first spynx kitten Loki, a few days ago and I'm compeltly inlove with him. Unfortunatly I took him to the vet jsut to get him checked over and it turns out his breeder has been lying to me all along. I was told when I got him that he had scratched his eye and he was being given drops to help it clear up. however Ive now found out that my poor baby has clamidia.

He's getting some antibiotics now, but I'm just totaly heart broken, I've been trying to reserch as much as I can about it but it sounds like the kind of thing thats going to flair up from time to time.

I was just wondering if any of you have delt with this before, or know anything about it. will I be able to extend my kitty family, or is it too risky?

Thanks
Kate

ranalashae

Banned
We have had threads on here before about this problem. Search Chlamydia in this forum and see what you get. I remember a couple people saying that is was totally manageable if you keep on top of it. Hope this helps some!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry, I have no advice, but I was wondering about your breeder, Have you told them? What was the reaction?

BlueGirl

Lairian
thanks have looked up the other posts and it's helped a little, i'm just worried that it could be infectious to any other cats

I'm just furious with the breeder, she knew that he had it but just told me it was a little scratch and it should be gone in a week. I cant belive she would do that and not let me know! My poor baby i just hope the other kittens got good homes, it seems like she's just a bad breeder out to make money! Makes me so mad!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh, BlueGirl. I'm so sorry to hear Loki has Chlamydia. Your first few days with him were supposed to be filled with love and joy, not worry and frustration. I hope
Bella07's links help.

Lots of love to Loki. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Cleo had it and it was hard to get rid of.
She caught it at a cat show last Oct.
Also my Mentor has been dealing with it.
Do you want her email so you can talk to her?
Cleo gave it to my Oreo but know of the other cats got it.
Her treatment was 1 month of Baytril and Eye Cream.
It started to come back so we did more meds and everything has been fine since then.
Shame in that breeder for giving you a sick cat and lying about it.
PM me if you want my mentors email.

BlueGirl

Lairian
My Cleo had it and it was hard to get rid of.
She caught it at a cat show last Oct.
Also my Mentor has been dealing with it.
Do you want her email so you can talk to her?
Cleo gave it to my Oreo but know of the other cats got it.
Her treatment was 1 month of Baytril and Eye Cream.
It started to come back so we did more meds and everything has been fine since then.
Shame in that breeder for giving you a sick cat and lying about it.
PM me if you want my mentors email.

Hey thats great to know it does go away, the way my vet spoke it made it sound like something that would keep coming back. Do they always carry it or is it safe for them to mix with other cats once its cleared up?
Thanks

BlueGirl

Lairian
Just thought I'd put some photos up of him, you can see that his eye is cloudy and hurting him, but he's still as mad as ever!

Attachments

• DSCF5002.jpg
    DSCF5002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF5004.jpg
    DSCF5004.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF5014.jpg
    DSCF5014.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF4979.jpg
    DSCF4979.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can put the kitten with the other cats later on.
I would wait at least 2 months though.
Your kitten can be a carrier now also.
It is pretty nasty.
Cleos eye dripped pus and her whole face was swollen.
All my cats stay together.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here's an honest to goodness question, though...

How do you know it's chlamydia? Did your vet actually do a culture?

Unless Loki's breeder is one of those notorious for sending out sick cats- she may very well have thought the cat had a scratched eye. URIs happen in catteries, as well- as much preventative measures one can take- things still pop up.

What has your breeder done since you talked to her about this situation? You should have had 72 hours or so to take Loki into the vet and have him checked out in order to ensure you got a healthy baby- did you do this?

Things happen in catteries- that's just a fact- the real proof in whether or not you chose a good breeder is what happens after the fact. If it was MY kitten, I would want a culture proving it was chlamydia and then we would work things out from there.

BlueGirl

Lairian
Here's an honest to goodness question, though...

How do you know it's chlamydia? Did your vet actually do a culture?

Unless Loki's breeder is one of those notorious for sending out sick cats- she may very well have thought the cat had a scratched eye. URIs happen in catteries, as well- as much preventative measures one can take- things still pop up.

What has your breeder done since you talked to her about this situation? You should have had 72 hours or so to take Loki into the vet and have him checked out in order to ensure you got a healthy baby- did you do this?

Things happen in catteries- that's just a fact- the real proof in whether or not you chose a good breeder is what happens after the fact. If it was MY kitten, I would want a culture proving it was chlamydia and then we would work things out from there.

Yeah he has his eye swabed and tested a week before I got him. I took him to the vet the day after I got him to make sure all was well. The vet then looked at his eye and said it probbaly is a scratch, they then phoned the breeders vet to get his history and were told that he proved positive for chlamydia a week earlyer. The breeder didnt tell me, just said it was clearing up. I'm really not sure what to do, the breeder hasnt goten back to me yet.

BlueGirl

Lairian
yeah :Cry: How would i go about registering a complaint about the breeder? Ive been lucky in the past and never had to think about it!

All things considered tho, at least his eye isnt too bad. Sounds like poor Cleo had an awful time of it, Loki's not that bad (touch wood) for now anyway.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can you pm me the breeders name.
It might be one of the ones I am thinking it was.
Also what is the kitten registered in?
I can tell you who to complain to.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't blame you for being mad, I'd be furious. It looks like she deliberately sent out a sick kitten and didn't give a damn that the stress of a new home might make Loki worse.

Things happen in catteries but most buyers can deal with anything as long as you're honest with them. Apparently this one wasn't.

Sorry to hear about your boy's issues and the experience you are having with all of this.

He is an adorable kitten! I love the picture of him where he is pawing at the camera.

I hope the medication starts working and his little eye gets better soon!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I can't blame you for being upset at all. I hope he heals quickly and atleast he has you to watch out for him now and take wonderful care of him.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It took me 8 months to get it out of this house. 2 out of 3 had it. You need DOXI! Can you pm me the breeder too if you get a chance? Wondering if it is from the same place I got mine.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear about this! Poor Loki and stupid, irresponsible breeder! :Angry:

I have to say that he is just the cutest little thing!! He's blessed to have a good caring mummy like you...he'll get better with your continued love, care and treatment.

X

Back