Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Product recommendations: wool cat cave

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Who here has purchased or even made (go you!) a wool cat cave for their sphynx? I want to get one for Kenzo, but I want to make sure the texture isn’t offputting to their naked bods. Also, if your cat cave doesn’t appear wilted, please PM me the company name! The prices seem to range from $30 (wilted & crumpled) to $175 ( sturdy & smooth), with not much in between. I’d like a price I can stomach, but also a quality product! Thank you!

Expensive, but solid:
6E79E5AD-8C59-4983-BB42-2C6257AAA38C.jpeg

Cheaper, but floppy/wrinkled:
60C93BD4-DBA7-4FBA-B5BA-EECC89602E5C.png

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Funny, yesterday I was at a petstore and doubing if I should by a wool cat cave. But had the same question as you: will the wool not be itchy to their naked body?
So following and curious what members will say!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I don't have a wool cat cave. But Orpheus as 2 crochet Woolen beds and lots of crocheted wool blankets made by his grandma that he loves. He has never had a problem with it being itchy or uncomfortable but my mum did make sure to choose high ply and very soft wool for his bed/blankets :) but he loves them.

So I would recommend just making sure the wool feels soft to the touch and seems of a high quality.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We don’t have a cat cave, but I spin, knit, weave and felt wool, mohair and all kinds of luxury fibers, like silk and angora (rabbit hair). Cleo has slept under a wool-and-mohair shawl most evenings all of her life. Wool felt is remarkably soft, and these cats’ skins are pretty tough. If your cat isn’t allergic to wool, and if he or she likes to sleep in cave-like places, then the cave may be worth the price. But, many cats like to chew or suck on wool, and they could get very sick.

BTW, unless you are an extremely dedicated crafter, buy the cave. It probably costs just as much to buy the wool to felt, and felting something that big is an extremely messy, wet, hard job. The people who sell cat caves earn every penny, considering what a hard, wet, messy and smelly job it is.

Here’s Cleo under her shawl on my lap.
07EAF95D-6402-49E5-A2FD-562BEDC6F74C.jpeg

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh I have never seen these before! But I have a lot of wool knitted blankets n Binky loves them!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We have one. This was the day we bought it. It’s now up by our desk and our squad rotate in and out as they check out hubby as he works from home. Their favorite spot is under piles of blankets rather than any bed we have bought so far. But I just love this bed.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have one. This was the day we bought it. It’s now up by our desk and our squad rotate in and out as they check out hubby as he works from home. Their favorite spot is under piles of blankets rather than any bed we have bought so far. But I just love this bed.
I’d forgotten about your cave. It’s still one of the nicest ones I have seen. Is it standing up to the wear and tear of 4cats?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Cleopatra Beers yes it is in great shape. I put a small baby blanket in the bottom so I can wash it easily. I think because I picked one with stuff at the top really was key, or Jouët would want to stand on it and crush it regularly lol.

I once watched how they make the caves and you are so right...what a mess. No money would be worth it for me to even think about trying to make one.