Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Provo, Utha

Status
Not open for further replies.

susi794

Staff member
Poor little Pandora's ears are filthy--would think they would take the time to clean them before they took her rescue pic. I hope they both find homes soon.

holly_savage

Banned
I did not think a reputable rescue / animal shelter would adopt out any animal that had not been 'fixed'...and they are a "fundraiser"??? That sentence is irking me a little...so did the family give her up as a door prize? Maybe it's just too early and I am reading more into it...:Angry:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It seems that so many Sphynx on petfinder are declawed. The fact they were surrendered to rescues that know very little about caring for the breed (except for the price tag!) instead of being surrendered back to the breeder tells me they were probably bred by unknowlegable, uncaring breeders who didn't screen their buyers at all. These poor Sphynx may need more work and patience than the average Sphynx surrendered out of love. Although I understand that the rescues need money to operate, they shouldn't expect to recoup their financial losses with these kitties.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Even the best breeders can have nutty buyers though... Some people forget their breeder the moment their kitten is home- or a few years down the road, they can't remember the cattery name, can't find the papers, etc, and therefore never offer the kitten back.

I am a Craigslist haunt. I haunt it to ensure none of my kittens ever pop up there- I also keep an eye on the incoming cats at the animal shelters. Never had any of them show up, but am that paranoid about my babies that I just want to make sure.

Another thing- when a cat like this comes into a rescue- particularly one that sees a price tag- instead of contacting the breeder IF they have the info, they instead think of selling the cat and putting the money back into the rescue's pocket.

A GOOD rescue would take the time to contact the breeder and see if they wanted the baby back- the most I'd expect from them is to spay/neuter the kitten if it isn't fixed yet.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Playing the Devil's Advocate here :Wink: There are situations like mine....My breeder is no longer in business due to financial issues & has moved several times since. I've tried every avenue I can think of (emailing all her addresses, Googling her name & the cattery name, etc) & I can't get a hold of her. I've tried numerous times over the years but no success. I just wanted to share with her some pictures & tell her how much I love my babies. However, if I ever had to surrender one of them, they would have to go to a rescue group. That being said, I'm probably in the minority.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nah, I don't think you are- because there are a lot of fly-by-night breeders too.

We are officially retired from breeding Sphynxes, but my site will not go anywhere nor will my 'contact me' links. I promised lifetime support for my kittens and intend to give it, regardless.

I live about 4 hours from both those cats. If they weren't asking so much I'd rescue them. But at the current prices I might as well be buying from a breeder (not that I don't like breeders, I do. They just charge a lot.)

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feel the same way. One of the reasons I don't get pets from rescues is the outrageous new prices they are charging. It bothers me that I could get a puppy/kitten from a breeder for the same price as a rescue. I know I am in the minority there but I hate all the "hoops" you have to jump through to get a pet out of rescue. I have gotten pets from the shelter before, and I understand why all the hoops, I just don't feel like jumping through them. I also have a child now and it makes me very leary to adopt a pet I know nothing of its history.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Even the best breeders can have nutty buyers though... Some people forget their breeder the moment their kitten is home- or a few years down the road, they can't remember the cattery name, can't find the papers, etc, and therefore never offer the kitten back.

I completely forgot about nutty buyers. I can't imagine losing my pets paperwork. I know quite a few people who are probably just like this though.

Playing the Devil's Advocate here :Wink: There are situations like mine....My breeder is no longer in business due to financial issues & has moved several times since. I've tried every avenue I can think of (emailing all her addresses, Googling her name & the cattery name, etc) & I can't get a hold of her. I've tried numerous times over the years but no success. I just wanted to share with her some pictures & tell her how much I love my babies. However, if I ever had to surrender one of them, they would have to go to a rescue group. That being said, I'm probably in the minority.

Great point as well. I have actually come across broken links to catteries that are no longer in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back