Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

PSA: Sphynxie Skin & UV Rays

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As Summer is in full swing, I wanted to write up my yearly UV warning. The reality is that UV rays are not just limited to Summer -- we are affected by UV far more often than you may think; even overcast days still project UV. And if we humans are at risk, so are our Sphynx.

What is UV? Ultraviolet radiation is cast by the sun and causes skin cancer along with a host of other health issues. You can read more here: UV index and sun safety - Canada.ca

What is a UV Index? A measurement of Ultraviolet Radiation ranging from 0 (no UV) to 11+ (extremely high UV). If fair skinned humans should only be exposed to a UV of 1 or 2 for 30-60 minutes, you can imagine the effect on our naked companions. Personally, I never let Max and Min outside for more than 15 minutes when the UV is 1 or 2. You can read more here: Environment and Climate Change Canada - Weather and Meteorology - Sun Protection Messages

What can UV penetrate? A fair amount, actually. Car windows and house windows, unless treated for UV protection, and even clothes (again, unless treated for UV protection or with a tight weave). Obviously there's more protection behind clothes and windows than standing outside and exposing yourself directly to UV. HOWEVER, if you have a Sphynxie sun worshipper who lays in windows exposed to direct sunlight, you may wish to consider some protective measures. Also, seriously consider protections in the car if you go roadtripping with your nakeds.

What options are available to reduce UV exposure? Thankfully, there are a few.

1. Prevent exposure outright. Keep your Sphynx out of the windows. *insert laughter here* Yeah, I know... not going to happen. But it's easier in cars to keep them from exposure by way of blankets or cat carriers. House windows... not so much unless you can close off rooms.

2. Treat windows with UV protection film. Such film or screens are available at DIY hardware type stores, or by hiring a professional. There are some great portable UV protection screens for cars available (car window uv shade); - Google Search some of these may work for house windows too.

We had our windows tinted professionally rather than using a kit (looked very messy to do yourself). The cost was C$7/s.f. supplied and installed -- three floors of windows (109 s.f.). It really wasn't that expensive (~$800), in my opinion.

Our lower two floors used a slightly dark tint (Llumar R-50 SR CDF) while the top floor used a darker tint (Llumar R-35 SR CDF) (we're south facing and that upper floor gets HOT in the Summer).

Llumar spec sheet here: http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/northamericanarchitecturalsolarcontrolspecifications.pdf

3. UV protection clothing. While UV protection clothing certainly helps, it doesn't prevent UV completely, but it will give you a little longer outside with your naked(s). Be aware, however, that the clothing generally doesn't cover the head, so don't be outside for too long.

I only go out when the UV is a 1 or 2 with UV protection clothing, but we stay out a maximum of 1 hour and I try to keep Max and Min in the shade.

If you don't have UV protection clothing or wish the expense, a tight weave shirt will certainly help. If you plan on buying UV protection clothing for your naked, make sure they'll wear a shirt first... some really don't like to wear clothes.

Why not use Sunblock? Never put sunblock on your Sphynx. There is no safe for Sphynx sunblock -- and even if there is, scrutinize the ingredients. Read more here: Is sunblock or sunscreen safe for my sphynx cat?

What is my UV? I'm glad you asked. I LOVE this app, which is available on all devices. UVLens – Keeping you safe in the sun . I NEVER take Max or Min out when the UV is higher than 2 (unless it's a quick dash somewhere). The measurement must be in the "green" (mossy green or blue green).

UV.png

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now! Everyone have a great weekend coming up!

And... just because...

maximillian_von_strange_102734118912_n (1).jpg

maximillian_von_strange_698558140416_n.jpg

maximillian_von_strange_808815493120_n.jpg

maximillian_von_strange_247879974912_n.jpg

maximillian_von_strange_616671109120_n.jpg

maximillian_von_strange_880899444736_n (1).jpg

Yes, they're modelling their new UV protection shirts!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the reminder! Always a welcome one with the sun really coming on now. I need to redo a couple of windows with the film in the upstairs

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Xandria , thank you for the incredible information ! @admin
Could this be added as a sticky ?

max and Min are purrfect models !
Lots of head smooches and hugs to you !

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Great information @Xandria. Good for every sphynx owner to be aware of.

And Max and Min rocks their outfits. They look super cool and are super protected.

I think this should be called the "Max and Min fashionline, fashion for cool cats":)

Back