Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Puppies!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some of you remember our new borzoi bitch, Widget. When we got her, she ran away and spent a week in the woods. When we found her she was traumatized and it has been a long road gaining her trust. On top of everything, she went into heat the day after she got home, and well..

We now have 10 TEN OMG! Beautiful perfect borzoi babies! Ollie is the father. I thought you guys would like to see some baby pics:Laugh:

Widget in the awesome whelping box my husband built for her!
018-6.jpg

First born "Moose" he is a big boy!
038.jpg

Six puppies in and I thought we were done...Silly me!
043-3.jpg

All ten clean and dry, 4 girls, 6 boys!
053-6.jpg

Tired mom!
055.jpg

Close up of the horde, lol
053-7.jpg

Daddy!
043-2.jpg

Last edited:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
wow!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES!!!! and OMG LOVE the baby snuggled on momma's neck! our puppies used to do that with Valerie, it was always my fave moments!!! good luck with everyone!!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:Dizzy:Wow...beautiful little puppies! What will you do with them?

Send them to you?:LOL:

We will start looking for prospective homes soon. I'm not sure how to find them the very best homes, but I have some ideas. Of course advice from my friends here is welcome. We will probably keep one also.

I would like to raise and show Borzoi in the future.

susi794

Staff member
Send them to you?:LOL:

We will start looking for prospective homes soon. I'm not sure how to find them the very best homes, but I have some ideas. Of course advice from my friends here is welcome. We will probably keep one also.

I would like to raise and show Borzoi in the future.

I know nothing about the Borzoi--how much will you be charging for them? How big do they get? Ollie looks pretty big. What is their temperment like? Maybe we can all help you find homes for them.....they sure are cute.

Bella07

Banned
Oh I would love bring a Borzoi into my home. I love their long sleek bodies, and the puppies are gorgeous. But, with three dogs already, I have reached my max! You must update us with pictures as they grow. And I really think that Susi will be calling one of these puppies her own in the near future :Wink:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know nothing about the Borzoi--how much will you be charging for them? How big do they get? Ollie looks pretty big. What is their temperment like? Maybe we can all help you find homes for them.....they sure are cute.

They are a large breed, Widget is smaller than standard. I am by no means a zoi expert, Ollie and Widget are my first. But I have spent a lot of time around sighthounds and am a long time lover of sighthounds. In my personal experience, they bond stronger than other breeds. They will not be lab obedient, but rather consider themselves more your equal than your dog. They carry their soul in their eyes. They are compassionate and gentle and I could not ever ask for a better friend. Indoors, they are highly decorative. Ollie is like a big dog skin rug, lol. They love nothing more than a soft bed. They are not high energy indoors and take up less space then you would imagine. Outdoors they are active, and do love to run if given the chance. Sighthounds should be leashed when not in a secure fence. To me, they are perfection in a dog suit, lovely, and soft, and captivating. Nothing soothes your soul like a sight hounds eyes.
They DO shed a lot, and require a good brushing. Here is a good wiki description of the breed:

Borzoi are large Russian sighthounds which look similar to a number of central Asian breeds such as the Afghan hound, Saluki and the Kyrgyz Taigan. As a general approximation, "long-haired greyhound" is a useful description. Borzoi can come in almost any color or color combination.The long top-coat is silky and quite flat, with varying degrees of waviness or curling. The soft undercoat thickens in winter or cold climates, but is shed in hot weather to prevent overheating. In its texture and distribution over the body, the borzoi coat is unique.
The borzoi coat is silky and flat, often wavy or slightly curly

Borzoi males frequently reach in excess of 100 pounds (45kg), ~120 pounds. Males should stand at least 30 inches (about 80 centimeters) at the shoulder, while females shouldn't be less than 26 inches (about 66 centimeters). Despite their size, the overall impression is of streamlining and grace, with a curvy shapeliness and compact strength.
[edit] Temperament
Borzoi are gracious couch potatoes at home.

The borzoi is a quiet but athletic and independent dog. Most borzoi are almost silent, barking only very rarely. They do not have strong territorial drives and cannot be relied on to raise the alarm upon sighting a human intruder. They are gentle and highly sensitive dogs with a natural respect for humans, and as adults they are decorative couch potatoes with remarkably gracious house-manners. Borzois should never display dominance or aggression towards people. Typically however, they are rather reserved and sensitive to invasion of their personal space; this can make them nervous around children unless they are brought up with them from an early age. Despite their size they adapt very well to suburban living, provided they have a spacious yard and regular opportunities for free exercise.

A common misunderstanding about the intelligence of breeds in the Hound group stems from their independent nature, which conflicts with the frequent confusion between the concepts of "intelligence" and "obedience" in discussions of canine brainpower. Stanley Coren's survey of canine obedience trainers, published in the book The Intelligence of Dogs, reported that borzoi obeyed the first command less than 25% of the time. Coren's test however was by his own admission heavily weighted towards the "obedience" interpretation of intelligence and based on a better understanding of "working" breeds than hounds. Unfortunately the publicity given to this report has led to unfair denigration of breeds which are under-represented in obedience clubs and poorly understood by the average obedience trainer.[3] "Work" for hound breeds is done out of hearing and often out of sight of the human companion; it is an activity for which the dogs are "released", rather than an activity which is "commanded". In obedience terms, borzoi are selective learners who quickly become bored with repetitive, apparently pointless, activity, and they can be very stubborn when they are not properly motivated. For example, food rewards, or "baiting", may work well for some individuals, but not all. Nevertheless, borzoi are definitely capable of enjoying and performing well in competitive obedience and agility trials with the right kind of training.[4] Like other sighthounds they do not cope well with harsh treatment or training based on punishment, and will be extremely unhappy if raised voices and threats are a part of their daily life. However like any intelligent dog, borzoi respond extremely well to the guidance, support, and clear communication of a benevolent human leadership.

Borzoi were bred to pursue, or "course", game and have a powerful instinct to chase things that run from them. Built for speed and endurance, they can cover long distances in a very short time. A fully-fenced yard is an absolute necessity for keeping any sighthound. They are highly independent and will range far and wide without containment, with little regard for road traffic. For off-lead exercise, a borzoi needs a very large field or park, either fully fenced or well away from any roads, to ensure its safety.

Borzoi are born with specialized coursing skills, but these are quite different from the dog-fighting instincts seen in some breeds. It is quite common for borzoi at play to course (run down) another dog, seize it by the neck and hold it immobile. Young pups do this with their littermates, trading off as to who is the prey. It is a specific hunting behavior, not a fighting or territorial domination behavior.

Borzoi can be raised very successfully to live with cats and other small animals provided they are introduced to them at a young age. Some, however, will possess the hunting instinct to such a degree that they find it impossible not to chase a cat that is moving quickly. The hunting instinct is triggered by movement and much depends on how the cat behaves.

Borzois vary widely in colour

Life expectancy is 7 to 10 years. Exceptional individuals have lived to be more than 14 years of age. Dogs that are physically fit and vigorous in their youth through middle age are more vigorous and healthy as elderly dogs, all other factors being equal. In the UK various cancers, followed by cardiac problems, seem to be the most frequent causes of premature death [1].

As for price, it will be far less than you would expect. Both parents are AKC/UKC but the pups will not have papers. They are being placed as pets only and I am more concerned about them finding good, permanant homes. I would be happy to discuss fees in PM. They have had dewclaws removed already and will be temperment tested, vacc. and wormed. They will be raised indoors with love, socializing, and be around kids, cats and other dogs large and small.

Here is Ollie at the humane society dogwalk this Saturday:
olliedogwalk.jpg

susi794

Staff member
Oh I would love bring a Borzoi into my home. I love their long sleek bodies, and the puppies are gorgeous. But, with three dogs already, I have reached my max! You must update us with pictures as they grow. And I really think that Susi will be calling one of these puppies her own in the near future :Wink:

This isn't a breed that would be good for someone who can't walk well, Bella--or I'd love to take one. If I ever get another dog, it will be something very small, like a chihuahua--that can get all the exercise it needs when it goes out into the yardBig dogs need to be walked, exercised, and as much as I love them, I just can't do that.
Was just thinking if Bronwyn posted some info about them, someone here might think this is the perfect dog for them and offer one or more of the pups a good home.
Hugs and puppy kisses,
Susi and the gang

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This isn't a breed that would be good for someone who can't walk well, Bella--or I'd love to take one. If I ever get another dog, it will be something very small, like a chihuahua--that can get all the exercise it needs when it goes out into the yardBig dogs need to be walked, exercised, and as much as I love them, I just can't do that.
Was just thinking if Bronwyn posted some info about them, someone here might think this is the perfect dog for them and offer one or more of the pups a good home.
Hugs and puppy kisses,
Susi and the gang

I wish I lived near you, then you could get a big dog and I could take it for walks for you :BigSmile:

A man brought his Chihuahua to the vet the other day when I was there, I looked in it's carrier and his cat was sitting right next to it, it was so cute!!!!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gorgeous puppies and congrats :)

You will probably want a questionnaire that vets people- you probably do want an active home for them- they might be couch potatoes, but there are also many Borzois that excel in obedience, lure coursing, etc, so you might have better success looking into active type homes. There is also a Borzoi rescue- they might have already vetted homes that are looking for puppies that they could recommend.

Good luck. Hope you post growing up pics.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, you were right when you called them a horde. Good luck raising such a large litter. They're all beautiful.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks- I'm glad you like it! Because there are some nights where I'm like... UUUUH- I have to take a pic of BUUUG and I have to drag myself to do it! Of course, then I get cuddles and take the pics and rush to my computer to see which ones turn out good- LOL!

You should do a Daily Puppy from this day onward!

Moonlight

Lairian
I can't wait to see them grow. And I got to meet the parents in person! (Lovely dogs btw).

If I weren't full with fosters and my personal animals, I would be VERY tempted.

Back