Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Purchasing a Sphynx kitten! HELP!

stephanie c

Lairian
Hello everyone,
I am in need of some desperate help! I have been researching the Sphynx breed for a couple months now in hopes of soon purchasing one. I am fascinated by them, they are beautiful cats with lots of personality! I have been in contact with various breeders in the past few weeks and i am having some trouble figuring out which may be reputable breeders.

What should i be on the look out for? Some scan for HCM others don't, should i stay away from the ones who don't? Does anyone know of any good breeders in the MA/NY area?

I am hoping to bring a new kitty into my family within the next few months. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome!! Here is what I look for in a breeder:
  • Scans for HCM yearly, and does not breed cats until both have been scanned
  • A reasonable contract, preferably with a health / HCM guarentee
  • Reputable! helps to have recommendations, a good website and online presence. (I search google for reviews on them too.)
  • Lets kittens go at a good age - no earlier than 12 weeks.
  • Open to answering questions, and if nearby - you paying visits. People underestimate the value of a breeder that will keep in contact with you once your kitten is home.
Something I wish I had told myself when I was looking.. be patient!! If you have to wait on a waitlist for a kitten, it could be a sign that the breeder is good. Don't go with a breeder who is sub par just because they have kittens available right now, I know it's tough when you see their cute little faces but try your best ;) .. finding a good breeder is so worth the wait! what is a few more months when you will have that cat for years to come.

If you have to travel or have the kitten shipped (in a good way - ie. not cargo) just to find a good breeder... it's worth it! Don't go with a sub par breeder just because that's all there is nearby.

This is all just my opinion, but I hope it helps! This has all come from my experience getting two sphynx from separate breeders within the past year. I wish I knew then what I know now..... !

Keep us updated on how your search is going. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. There is some people here
around those areas, that might, start a private conversation with you.
That might recommend some breeders in that area. Best Wishes.

stephanie c

Lairian
  • Reputable! helps to have recommendations, a good website and online presence. (I search google for reviews on them too.)
  • Open to answering questions, and if nearby - you paying visits. People underestimate the value of a breeder that will keep in contact with you once your kitten is home.
Something I wish I had told myself when I was looking.. be patient!! If you have to wait on a waitlist for a kitten, it could be a sign that the breeder is good. Don't go with a breeder who is sub par just because they have kittens available right now, I know it's tough when you see their cute little faces but try your best ;) .. finding a good breeder is so worth the wait! what is a few more months when you will have that cat for years to come.

If you have to travel or have the kitten shipped (in a good way - ie. not cargo) just to find a good breeder... it's worth it! Don't go with a sub par breeder just because that's all there is nearby.

This is all just my opinion, but I hope it helps! This has all come from my experience getting two sphynx from separate breeders within the past year. I wish I knew then what I know now..... !

Thank you for your response. It is very tempting when they are so cute!!! But i would rather wait a few months and have a happy and healthy kitty :) Your advice is very helpful, and i will take it into consideration while on my sphynx search. I will keep updating, hopefully i run into the perfect breeder soon :)
Do you recommend any breeders?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and good luck to you! You live in an area where several of our members also live, so someone should be able to help you. I agree with the list that @zoinks posted, especially with the visiting. When we looked for a breeder, we were actually first looking in California. Then we found our breeder, who happens to live very close to us. It has been wonderful to be able to visit our Marcus as he has grown. But even more importantly, we were able to see how she treats her breeding queens and kings and her setup. After all, it is easy to say on a website that kittens are raised "underfoot." But you really don't know if the breeder is allowing the kittens to have the run of the house until you see it. Our breeder does use cages (very spacious ones), but she uses them mostly when the kits are tiny and when she can't supervise them for safety sake. She also uses them for the adults, when the girls are in season and can't be bred for whatever reason, or again, when they can't be out for other reasons. Visiting your breeder is a great way to see if her cats are well socialized and taken care of.

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
Ironically I just got my contract for Munnkie today and was hoping to ask you a question or two or anyone else on here that knows! I am worried about what you say about HCM. The parents are both cleared but do not get tested every year. I think it was two years ago. Should I be worried? Also my contract does not state anything about HCM specifically...should I be worried? It does say however that if a kitten dies within 3 years due to a congenital or hereditary defect, the seller will replace my cat. Is that basically a health/hcm guarantee? It also says that if I vaccinate the kitten for FIP, FeLV, or FIV, they all warranties of health are void. Is this bad??? I have a dog and I know that my contract was a little different and REQUIRED me to get him all shots possible. So I am confused haha. Sorry for the really long message!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MunnkieSphynx hmmm.. 2 years isn't completely unreasonable I'd say. Some people have their cats scanned every 18 months. I would be asking when they are next being scanned, where they get scanned, etc.

3 years health guarantee is very good but I don't think HCM would be classed as congenital or hereditary and therefore not covered. Not every breeder has an HCM clause, Alfie's didn't and unluckily he ended up diagnosed at 1 year. Some other breeders offer a 1/3/5 year guarantee. It's tricky though as often it is outside the breeders hands, a cat can develop HCM when it's parents are both negative.

You could ask them about HCM, if it is covered at all.

About the vaccinations, sounds like she is anti-vaccination. There are a lot of people like that, even on this site too. Personally I think it is in bad taste that the health guarantee is void if you do believe in vaccinations but it has some logic to it. The only mandatory vaccination here is rabies. We get all done where some people only get the bare minimum. I would have a search on the site for "vaccine" get some opinions and make your own decision.

This is just my 2c , some others might disagree, but hope it helps :)

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The FVRCP vaccines are required where I live as well as rabies. The rest are optional. Dr. Lisa Person that a lot of raw feeders are familiar with has a page on her web site dealing with vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically I just got my contract for Munnkie today and was hoping to ask you a question or two or anyone else on here that knows! I am worried about what you say about HCM. The parents are both cleared but do not get tested every year. I think it was two years ago. Should I be worried? Also my contract does not state anything about HCM specifically...should I be worried? It does say however that if a kitten dies within 3 years due to a congenital or hereditary defect, the seller will replace my cat. Is that basically a health/hcm guarantee? It also says that if I vaccinate the kitten for FIP, FeLV, or FIV, they all warranties of health are void. Is this bad??? I have a dog and I know that my contract was a little different and REQUIRED me to get him all shots possible. So I am confused haha. Sorry for the really long message!
@MunnkieSphynx hmmm.. 2 years isn't completely unreasonable I'd say. Some people have their cats scanned every 18 months. I would be asking when they are next being scanned, where they get scanned, etc.

3 years health guarantee is very good but I don't think HCM would be classed as congenital or hereditary and therefore not covered. Not every breeder has an HCM clause, Alfie's didn't and unluckily he ended up diagnosed at 1 year. Some other breeders offer a 1/3/5 year guarantee. It's tricky though as often it is outside the breeders hands, a cat can develop HCM when it's parents are both negative.

About the vaccinations, sounds like she is anti-vaccination. There are a lot of people like that, even on this site too. Personally I think it is in bad taste that the health guarantee is void if you do believe in vaccinations but it has some logic to it. The only mandatory vaccination here is rabies. We get all done where some people only get the bare minimum. I would have a search on the site for "vaccine" get some opinions and make your own decision.

I just updated your question @MunnkieSphynx here on the particular vaccines that can "void" breeder guarantees. FHV Vaccines

Wig

Lairian
You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing research! A good breeder scans for HCM and gives you guarantee against it also! Good luck and take your time :)

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
Should this worry me? She seems to be a very reputable breeder and I have only found a couple cats from her but all seem very healthy. She doesn't even want me to get rabies actually and I think its technically state law in California. Or at least I know that its mandatory for my dog. I guess a lot of sphynx have bad reactions to rabies? Not sure :/ I agree with you. I don't think the contract should be void if I decide to give him shots but I guess I won't be giving him any. I am only worried because I am going to be taking him places with me.

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
Okay I texted her and she said that the 3 year health guarantee does cover HCM and that none of her cats have ever had it. I feel better now haha

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Rabies vaccines are the law in every state in the US that I know of, except for possibly Hawaii, which requires quarantine for animals coming into the state. We had a furry cat who was very sensitive to all vaccines. to the point that we just stopped giving them to him after he was about 5 years old. BUT we also do not allow our cats outside to interact with any other animals. We DO take Cleopatra with us on errands and out on her leash and stroller, so she is vaccinated and Marcus will be vaccinated also. If you decide to not vaccinate you cats, just know that if you ever have to transport them by air or across state or country borders, you will probably have to vaccinate them and be required to provide proof of vaccination for each animal. We have moved our cats across state lines several times, and I know that the California inspection stations have asked us for vaccination records.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MunnkieSphynx Ah that's good then :) 3 years is a reasonable guarantee.

It is a good sign that none of her cats have had it, if she has been breeding for a long time.

Rabies is the law in California - we live there too - and our vet pushes it on us - it's not optional (I guess if we didn't want it, we'd have to find another vet)

@Cleopatra Beers has good advice on vaccinations.. We follow the same kind of thing here as our boys come out with us sometimes, and if I ever got deported from the US they would have to travel to the UK ;)

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
She can tell you anything she wants. You really need to see the scan results with your own eyes.
I do not have any doubts, however I can see them when I go visit him in a few weeks. I have talked to at least 5 people with cats from her and none have any issues. I think you may have misunderstood. I was more questioning health guarantee. (Which she said she covers for 3 years) There is no doubt in my mind that she is not only reputable but also responsible. She is a pretty well known breeder in my area and is well known because of her healthy kittens. :)

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
@MunnkieSphynx Ah that's good then :) 3 years is a reasonable guarantee.

It is a good sign that none of her cats have had it, if she has been breeding for a long time.

Rabies is the law in California - we live there too - and our vet pushes it on us - it's not optional (I guess if we didn't want it, we'd have to find another vet)

@Cleopatra Beers has good advice on vaccinations.. We follow the same kind of thing here as our boys come out with us sometimes, and if I ever got deported from the US they would have to travel to the UK ;)
I talked to her on the phone today she said that none of her cats have ever had it and that if one tested positive he/she would be fixed at that time. She also told me that she has not heard from anyone she has sold a kitten too, telling her that one has HCM or has died from any kind of health problem. She has a very open communication with people (texting, phone, instagram, website and Facebook) and I talk to her at least once a week. I feel much better now especially after she clarified that the health guarantee does cover HCM. I reread the contract and did not see anything about Rabies so there is no problem with me getting that. :)

stephanie c

Lairian
I want to give you guys an update! I have just put a deposit for a beautiful blue mink boy sphynx! He is adorable and the breeder is awesome and scans for HCM. He will be ready for August and I couldn't be more excited! I want to thank everyone for all of your advice and help :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Terrific! So happy your journey for your baby has been going well. Let the count down to Gotcha Day begin!

Patti