Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Purchasing a Sphynx kitten! HELP!

Rainy19437

Lairian
Just read your post and hope you found your forever baby by now. This is my new baby, even though he doesn't live with me yet.

SamhainPrincess

Lairian
I am getting my baby from A breeder and the woman who runs it has been so nice and helpful. I think she has a new litter coming available too

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainy19437

Lairian
I am getting my baby from A breeder and the woman who runs it has been so nice and helpful. I think she has a new litter coming available too
Welcome to the lair. My baby won't be able to live with me until November 16 Th. He is still much to young. Attached is his latest picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 83

Mariechovi

Lairian
Welcome!! Here is what I look for in a breeder:
  • Scans for HCM yearly, and does not breed cats until both have been scanned
  • A reasonable contract, preferably with a health / HCM guarentee
  • Reputable! helps to have recommendations, a good website and online presence. (I search google for reviews on them too.)
  • Lets kittens go at a good age - no earlier than 12 weeks.
  • Open to answering questions, and if nearby - you paying visits. People underestimate the value of a breeder that will keep in contact with you once your kitten is home.
Something I wish I had told myself when I was looking.. be patient!! If you have to wait on a waitlist for a kitten, it could be a sign that the breeder is good. Don't go with a breeder who is sub par just because they have kittens available right now, I know it's tough when you see their cute little faces but try your best ;) .. finding a good breeder is so worth the wait! what is a few more months when you will have that cat for years to come.

If you have to travel or have the kitten shipped (in a good way - ie. not cargo) just to find a good breeder... it's worth it! Don't go with a sub par breeder just because that's all there is nearby.

This is all just my opinion, but I hope it helps! This has all come from my experience getting two sphynx from separate breeders within the past year. I wish I knew then what I know now..... !

Keep us updated on how your search is going. :)

Agree with all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kemibello

Lairian
Thank you for your response. It is very tempting when they are so cute!!! But i would rather wait a few months and have a happy and healthy kitty :) Your advice is very helpful, and i will take it into consideration while on my sphynx search. I will keep updating, hopefully i run into the perfect breeder soon :)
Do you recommend any breeders?
I know a breeder who is amazing !!!! I just recently got a kitten from her and she breeds the most beautiful kittens. She has all social media and a website. PM me for her breeder name /info

Last edited by a moderator:

jana888

Lairian
Where are you?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Hi, I’m in Ontario Canada and I find that they are super expensive and my budget is under $900 Canadian for the adoption. I don’t mind buying from the states, thing is that I don’t know of any legitimate Cattery’s with reasonable prices to adopt.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a friend who has a friend that is getting a Sphynx kitten from Russia. The Russian breeder is flying it over on her lap in the plane. Amazingly the cost of the plane ticket plus the price of kitten is LESS than buying a kitten from a breeder in the USA.

You might also keep an eye on Hoobly ads. There are all kinds of people selling there so you see prices that run the whole gamut.

jana888

Lairian
I have a friend who has a friend that is getting a Sphynx kitten from Russia. The Russian breeder is flying it over on her lap in the plane. Amazingly the cost of the plane ticket plus the price of kitten is LESS than buying a kitten from a breeder in the USA.

You might also keep an eye on Hoobly ads. There are all kinds of people selling there so you see prices that run the whole gamut.
Hi again, I saw the ad and sent out a msg but when taking a closer look the phone number on the picture is a US number so its not Canadian :(
Are you able to provide more details on your friends friend breeder?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jana888, kudos to you for researching for a responsible breeder. you can start your own post giving your location for recommendations. we have several Canadian members :)

Tagging @Bailey21 , and @BSphynx , to PM breeder recommendations.

SkinFerFur

Lairian
Rabies vaccines are the law in every state in the US that I know of, except for possibly Hawaii, which requires quarantine for animals coming into the state. We had a furry cat who was very sensitive to all vaccines. to the point that we just stopped giving them to him after he was about 5 years old. BUT we also do not allow our cats outside to interact with any other animals. We DO take Cleopatra with us on errands and out on her leash and stroller, so she is vaccinated and Marcus will be vaccinated also. If you decide to not vaccinate you cats, just know that if you ever have to transport them by air or across state or country borders, you will probably have to vaccinate them and be required to provide proof of vaccination for each animal. We have moved our cats across state lines several times, and I know that the California inspection stations have asked us for vaccination records.
They definitely do require them when bringing a cat to the US from Canada. I live in North Dakota, just 30 minutes from the border. I got both of my breeding pair from Windsor, CA. Of course, I had to show the border guys that I am a "Business" to be allowed to go up and get my kittens during the Pandemic when the borders were closed to most traffic. But all such health reccords were neccesary.

tennisplayer

Lairian
Here are pointers to get a good kitten:
- The kittens are not discounted, I expect to pay the market price or above
- The website has as much about the mother and father of the kittens including awards about the parents
- In talking with the sellers of the kittens, they are vetting you. You are being put on a waiting list because their kittens sell before they even make it on a website.
- The seller usually has more than 2 to 4 parents and they work with other breeders of champion cats. These cats are so rare that all the champion owners know each other because they need breed with such a small pool of available cats
- The contract you get will have a hefty price if you decide not to fix the cat. The seller will always fix the cat before they sell them.
- The seller will talk your ear off about the genes of the breed and the contract may include 1 or 2 scans after they are released to you. They will know where to take the kittens for scans and know all the vets in the area because they see them many times a year
- The seller will usually have lots of pictures of all the litters. You should be able to tell that the kittens match the parents, otherwise something is suspect
- If you can talk to the seller by phone you will most likely hear cats in the background and the seller talking to them - no joke.

Last edited:
Back