Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Purevax Brand Rabies vaccine

Yoda mom

Staff member
My vets office has several signs posted that she will only use Purevax Brand Rabies vaccine because of less
Side effects - (sarcomas at site injections etc)

has anyone here specifically asked what brand of vaccinations their vets offices uses and why?

Now I am wondering what brand shelters and the low cost vaccination weekend clinics are using?

what Brand Vaccine have fellow lair kitties had reactions to?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My vets office has several signs posted that she will only use Purevax Brand Rabies vaccine because of less
Side effects - (sarcomas at site injections etc)

has anyone here specifically asked what brand of vaccinations their vets offices uses and why?

Now I am wondering what brand shelters and the low cost vaccination weekend clinics are using?

what Brand Vaccine have fellow lair kitties had reactions to?
Good question, I don't recall what we used, it does sound familiar however. I did find this post however, Jabs.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@admin, thank you for the link -

Now along with "NO ketamine " I will be adding " Purevax only Vaccines"

To their charts or to confirm if I ever go to a different vet

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom I absolutely tell my vet what vaccine to give and what not to give my nakeds.

I made it clear to him years ago that I do not want Meril 3vac (sp?) and that I only want Pure Vac (sp?) instead.

I don't know if Meril 3vac is the same as what Patti just mentioned, but I know that the Meril 3vac has caused many problems with pets and my vet absolutely agreed with me that the regular Pure Vac is much safer!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmmm... my vet uses the following (but I don't have my nakeds vaccinated for rabies)

We use Defensor3 Rabies vaccine made by Zoetis Animal Health. It is what's known as a "killed virus" vaccine, which means that the virus has been grown in a lab and the infectious parts removed to create the vaccine.

DEFENSOR3

Can anyone comment on this vaccine?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@GoldHazel I think you and I are on the same page PUREVAX is a trademark of Merial. In essence the same thing. I have attached why Merial is considered safer than others and you can see the labels on their lines say both PUREVAX and Merial. Maybe there was a specific one that was not as safe and that's why developed this?
My vet explained why it is safer and Merial has been the first to develop this Vaccine that does not have the extra chemicals to activate it. There is not a 100% guarantee of an issue, but much definitely safer.

11154791328810e1ded7fcf26078075f.jpg
698c85703ae249fa57c9467262a21b90.jpg

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow I cannot read the print in the attachment you posted. But regardless, what my vet told me is that PUREVAX was the safer way to go because it's not a live vaccine.

Many companies, whether it's medicines, foods or any other product out there make the same or similar products under different names. Take vitamins for example, a number of years ago a doctor told us that as long as a vitamin is made in the USA, it's ALL the same no matter what brands you buy or what stores you buy it in.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmmm... my vet uses the following (but I don't have my nakeds vaccinated for rabies)

We use Defensor3 Rabies vaccine made by Zoetis Animal Health. It is what's known as a "killed virus" vaccine, which means that the virus has been grown in a lab and the infectious parts removed to create the vaccine.

DEFENSOR3

Can anyone comment on this vaccine?

@Xandria I don't know anything about the name of the vaccine you just mentioned, but I like the fact that it's not a live vaccine. :)

Back