Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Putting clothes on your Sphynx

linathehuman

Lairian
So I was just wondering at what age your cats were when you first introduced them to wearing clothing. And how did they react to it at first?

I asked my breeder if she puts clothes on her cats and she said no because her cats don't like them and she's worried that they're going to get them dirty in the litter box. She's also located in Texas so I wouldn't think it's necessary the majority of the year.

I was planning on bringing a shirt with me when I pick up Merlin at the airport for the plane ride home, but after learning that he has never worn an article of clothing, I'm considering introducing him to the experience at a more comfortable time for him. "Hi! I'm your new mom. Now let me stuff you into this tiny shirt that you will probably hate and then take you on an airplane that you will also probably hate!" lol :LOL: Just want my baby to be as relaxed as possible.

I live in CO so winters here get cold, and even during the summer we don't like to keep the temperature in our apartment anywhere above 75 degrees. So alongside having heating pads and heated blankets available to him at all times, I'm thinking it might be beneficial to try to get him used to wearing an extra layer at times to keep him warm.

Anyone have any tips or experiences to share?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My girl Izmae, doesn't, like clothes. At all.
I just put, them, on sometimes, to take a pic.
But, as long, as you have throws and a bed they are fine.
75°is very warm.
I keep my house 70, all year round. They, don't have, to wear clothes.
It's us, wanting, to dress them up, more, than, them, wanting to wear them.
If you do put clothes on him, don't leave them on, when you leave.

linathehuman

Lairian
My girl Izmae, doesn't, like clothes. At all.
I just put, them, on sometimes, to take a pic.
But, as long, as you have throws and a bed they are fine.
75°is very warm.
I keep my house 70, all year round. They, don't have, to wear clothes.
It's us, wanting, to dress them up, more, than, them, wanting to wear them.
If you do put clothes on him, don't leave them on, when you leave.
Thank you for your response! Very reassuring. I read somewhere else (maybe on this forum even?) that an environment below 80 degrees is bad for them, but it sounds like that only applies to an environment without some kind of extra heat source? As long as you think he'll be good with a couple of throws then I won't put too much more thought into it.

I suppose I'll probably know right away whether or not he's into the idea of wearing clothing. And if he's not, I'm totally not planning on forcing him to. Except maybe however, like you, for the occasional photo-op :LOL:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So I was just wondering at what age your cats were when you first introduced them to wearing clothing. And how did they react to it at first?

I asked my breeder if she puts clothes on her cats and she said no because her cats don't like them and she's worried that they're going to get them dirty in the litter box. She's also located in Texas so I wouldn't think it's necessary the majority of the year.

I was planning on bringing a shirt with me when I pick up Merlin at the airport for the plane ride home, but after learning that he has never worn an article of clothing, I'm considering introducing him to the experience at a more comfortable time for him. "Hi! I'm your new mom. Now let me stuff you into this tiny shirt that you will probably hate and then take you on an airplane that you will also probably hate!" lol :LOL: Just want my baby to be as relaxed as possible.

I live in CO so winters here get cold, and even during the summer we don't like to keep the temperature in our apartment anywhere above 75 degrees. So alongside having heating pads and heated blankets available to him at all times, I'm thinking it might be beneficial to try to get him used to wearing an extra layer at times to keep him warm.

@linathehuman I picked up six sphynx kittens (all on separate occasions) from breeders in Florida (and I live in NY). I took six jets home with the little ones and I will tell you that it's freezing on the planes. Both my breeders even warned me to make sure they are wearing clothing in the airport and during the flights.

So for the first four, I had clothing for them as that breeder didn't supply the clothing. But the second breeder made sock clothes for each of them. I also brought my own clothing for them as well.

While flying, I even had them on my lap with a blanket or my sweatshirt jacket for extra warmth along with their clothing. When you make airline reservations for your kitten, be sure to ask the airline if there is a specific seat that the carrier cannot go under because of wires, etc. I was told by JetBlue not to put the pet carrier under the middle seat in the front of me because that's the seat with all the wires!

I've traveled on JetBlue and United Airlines all those times with my kittens and both airlines were very pet friendly and there was no problem holding the kitten for the entire flight.

Are you also aware that during security screening you will have to hold your kitten while the carrier goes for an x-ray? Once you get to the other side of the x-ray machine, you will probably have someone swiping down your hands and/or the kitten for explosives!

I didn't allow anyone from security touch my babies as many of them wanted to out of curiosity. Their disposable gloves are filthy dirty and I wasn't going to ask them to change their gloves first before touching my babies. So I just said, "I'm sorry, no, the kitten is too young and vulnerable to illnesses right now."

So getting back to them wearing clothing: Right away ... especially when you are flying. Sometimes at the beginning when you put clothing on a kitten, they will stand still and then fall over sideways. That's only when they are at home, etc. and standing up. I only keep clothing on the babies at home or on everyone after a bath if it's chilly from the wintertime or the a/c during warm weather. If you ever want your sphynx to wear clothing, it's best to start them right from the beginning. Same with a puppy.

I also put clothing on them when they go to the vet. Not necessarily to be cute, but it's chilly out most of the time or the car is chilly and the vet's office is chilly. It also makes them feel a bit more secure having some clothing on them fitting nice and snug (not tight) when they are leaving the house with you.

linathehuman

Lairian

@linathehuman I picked up six sphynx kittens (all on separate occasions) from breeders in Florida (and I live in NY). I took six jets home with the little ones and I will tell you that it's freezing on the planes. Both my breeders even warned me to make sure they are wearing clothing in the airport and during the flights.

So for the first four, I had clothing for them as that breeder didn't supply the clothing. But the second breeder made sock clothes for each of them. I also brought my own clothing for them as well.

While flying, I even had them on my lap with a blanket or my sweatshirt jacket for extra warmth along with their clothing. When you make airline reservations for your kitten, be sure to ask the airline if there is a specific seat that the carrier cannot go under because of wires, etc. I was told by JetBlue not to put the pet carrier under the middle seat in the front of me because that's the seat with all the wires!

I've traveled on JetBlue and United Airlines all those times with my kittens and both airlines were very pet friendly and there was no problem holding the kitten for the entire flight.

Are you also aware that during security screening you will have to hold your kitten while the carrier goes for an x-ray? Once you get to the other side of the x-ray machine, you will probably have someone swiping down your hands and/or the kitten for explosives!

I didn't allow anyone from security touch my babies as many of them wanted to out of curiosity. Their disposable gloves are filthy dirty and I wasn't going to ask them to change their gloves first before touching my babies. So I just said, "I'm sorry, no, the kitten is too young and vulnerable to illnesses right now."

So getting back to them wearing clothing: Right away ... especially when you are flying. Sometimes at the beginning when you put clothing on a kitten, they will stand still and then fall over sideways. That's only when they are at home, etc. and standing up. I only keep clothing on the babies at home or on everyone after a bath if it's chilly from the wintertime or the a/c during warm weather. If you ever want your sphynx to wear clothing, it's best to start them right from the beginning. Same with a puppy.

I also put clothing on them when they go to the vet. Not necessarily to be cute, but it's chilly out most of the time or the car is chilly and the vet's office is chilly. It also makes them feel a bit more secure having some clothing on them fitting nice and snug (not tight) when they are leaving the house with you.
Hi @GoldHazel ! Thank you so much for your input. I was aware of the bit about taking him through security only because there was a really helpful thread on here about traveling with Sphynxes. I did not even think about him coming into contact with icky TSA gloves so I will keep that in mind on gotcha day. The whole reasoning for me taking him in cabin in the first place as opposed to having him shipped was to avoid any kind of illnesses or things he could catch from other animals in pet cargo with his young immune system. The thought of that makes me so uneasy!

It's been awhile since I've been on an airplane and I've never carried a pet in cabin with me. I'm flying Southwest and I'm really hoping they are as pet friendly as you describe the other airlines being with you. I would love nothing more than to be able to take him out of the carrier and have him on my lap during the duration of the flight. Did you have a harness/leash on the babies when they were out of the carrier in case they decided to be squirmy and slip out of your lap?

Okay, so, since I'm flying, I will definitely bring some clothing with me to slip on him before the flight. My main concern was just stressing the little guy out. But how traumatizing could a piece of clothing really be? I was already planning on providing some warm blankets. Do you have any preference in material for the clothing? I know some are probably wayyy toastier than others.

By the way, I loved the visual I got of a kitten standing still and falling over sideways. :LOL:

Thanks again!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We don't use clothes nor is it necessary to use them unless I would imagine your home had no heat resource at all. If your comfortable in your home your cats will be as well, a few throw blankets here and there will do just fine and they are smart enough to find a place to stay warm. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Great advice. If you are going to hold your baby if they let you) in the cabin, definitely use a harness. You can never be too careful.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi @GoldHazel ! Thank you so much for your input. I was aware of the bit about taking him through security only because there was a really helpful thread on here about traveling with Sphynxes. I did not even think about him coming into contact with icky TSA gloves so I will keep that in mind on gotcha day. The whole reasoning for me taking him in cabin in the first place as opposed to having him shipped was to avoid any kind of illnesses or things he could catch from other animals in pet cargo with his young immune system. The thought of that makes me so uneasy!

It's been awhile since I've been on an airplane and I've never carried a pet in cabin with me. I'm flying Southwest and I'm really hoping they are as pet friendly as you describe the other airlines being with you. I would love nothing more than to be able to take him out of the carrier and have him on my lap during the duration of the flight. Did you have a harness/leash on the babies when they were out of the carrier in case they decided to be squirmy and slip out of your lap?

Okay, so, since I'm flying, I will definitely bring some clothing with me to slip on him before the flight. My main concern was just stressing the little guy out. But how traumatizing could a piece of clothing really be? I was already planning on providing some warm blankets. Do you have any preference in material for the clothing? I know some are probably wayyy toastier than others.

By the way, I loved the visual I got of a kitten standing still and falling over sideways. :LOL:

Thanks again!
@linathehuman you are absolutely doing the right thing by flying to the breeder to personally pick up your new baby. I've heard a few horror stories about the nakeds freezing to death and other stories. When I first found my first breeder, I spoke to my vet about it. He asked me if I was planning on picking him up or shipping him. When I told him that I was personally picking him up, my vet was VERY pleased as he knew of horror stories over the years as well.

Before I began "collecting" the sphynx breed, I had furry SHD cats my entire life. So keeping their personalities in mind, I got a harness and leash the first time I picked up my #1 naked. I was a bit nervous about him squirming in my arms and freaking out during security check, etc. Looking back on it now, it was a breeze and I worried needlessly. The sphynx personalities are very different and just want to be with you, etc. Of course, I held them all securely and right up against my body. They weren't going anywhere.

So what I'm saying is that I've never used the harness and leash again because of my first experience traveling with my #1 naked. Never had a problem. They didn't squirm in my arms during security, they didn't look to get away while sitting on my lap on the plane. They were all very content just to be held by their mommy. If it was a furry SHD, forget about it! LOL My older son has had to travel with his furry SHD cat a number of times and the cat needs to be medicated, harnessed/leashed and cover his eyes during security!

IF you encounter any nervousness from your kitten during security check, just cover it's eyes. Out of sight...out of mind! Works like a charm. And please don't be nervous, they can sense that and feed off of your nervousness. Take a deep breath, stand up tall and I assure you, everything will be fine. :)

I don't know about Southwest and their pet policies. I personally never brought a pet aboard that airline. The only thing I know about Southwest is that their nickname is, "Southworst". Maybe they got better, but up until a few years ago, they didn't have a great track record for being reliable (on time, etc.). So check your flight for delays before you head out to the airport. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

About the clothing: I assure you that putting clothing on your kitten for traveling won't cause stress. If anything, not putting clothing on can make your kitten very chilly at the airport and during the flight.

I have no carpeting in my house, the floors tend to be very chilly. In general, I no longer put clothing on my nakeds unless we are leaving the house or after a bath in the cooler weather. I always, always kept clothing on the babies (changing the outfits often). They are very intelligent and "heat seekers" so you'll always find a sphynx in that one sunny spot on the floor or on the back of a couch, etc. If you put blankets out on your couches, your bed and in pet beds, trust me, a sphynx will find it and know what to do with it. I don't have a preference for material for the clothing. It's all weather-related...meaning that in the wintertime, I want sweaters on them or even a t-shirt with a sweater over it when it's really cold out and I have to take them out. If you need a sweater or coat outside, then so does a naked is a good "rule". But if you want your naked to wear clothing, it's best to start right away.

linathehuman

Lairian
@GoldHazel Thank you so, so much for sharing your experiences. It actually makes me feel a lot more confident going into this! I'm thinking of this as my little adventure to go get her and bring her home (oh, by the way, found out my "him" is actually a "her" today). With gotcha day being so far away still, seems like I have way too much time on my hands to think of all the things that could go wrong. Ha! Just want to cover all bases.

Thanks @admin and @Catzzzmeow! Much appreciated (y)

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Clothing is not a must it solely depends on how they are with it if they hate it there is not one reason they should. So test out how yours reacts to it once your baby is home. I also wouldn't leave the clothes on them when you not at home

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel Thank you so, so much for sharing your experiences. It actually makes me feel a lot more confident going into this! I'm thinking of this as my little adventure to go get her and bring her home (oh, by the way, found out my "him" is actually a "her" today). With gotcha day being so far away still, seems like I have way too much time on my hands to think of all the things that could go wrong. Ha! Just want to cover all bases.

Thanks @admin and @Catzzzmeow! Much appreciated (y)
@linathehuman wow, your he is a she now? I hope you didn't go out and buy all blue. :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Max and Min were both introduced to clothes right away. The breeder had them in shirts the day I took them home. Most of the time I let them run around naked, but I have t-shirts, sweaters, and hoodies for different occasions and weather. Our house can sometimes be cool, so clothes are a thing every so often. We do always have a few cave beds with heaters on as well, but they do like to roam.

Also, Max goes outside, and Min will too, so clothes are quite important for outings.

As always, clothe only when supervised. Wash clothing in baby safe detergent. Keep clothed for a limited time (a few hours a day). Wear each item only once, and then wash.

Can't wait for your gotcha day pics!!!!!

12524428_10209011373347313_5450346501421075761_n.jpg

972110_10208906119516033_7478873541381375703_n.jpg

12072753_10207816772603041_5907569144729128508_n.jpg

12799453_10208734993517990_8976428246697087638_n.jpg

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The girls and I do don't like clothes. But, the new guy Nigel acts like they are just a second skin. I haven't had anyone except for my peterbald wear clothes as well as he does. Being he is small guy I will probably have him wear one quite a bit when it is chilly.
Start young and often with supervision.

Arili O

Lairian

I'm not hugely experienced with hairless cats since my Jamie is my first one, but I've been putting him in shirts since I brought him home (we also live in CO btw, and I keep the thermostat at 72) about a month ago and he didn't care a bit, despite never wearing one before. I make him shirts out of socks and he's totally chill about it. His breeder doesn't put shirts on her cats but they just moved here from Utah, so. /shrug However, even if your kitten isn't a fan at first, I'm sure it's like getting your cat used to a collar or harness - when my previous cat was a kitten, I'd put his harness on and he'd fall over "dead". I'd ignore him and eventually he'd get up and move around. After a couple weeks of wearing it about an hour a day he was completely used to it.

linathehuman

Lairian
Max and Min were both introduced to clothes right away. The breeder had them in shirts the day I took them home. Most of the time I let them run around naked, but I have t-shirts, sweaters, and hoodies for different occasions and weather. Our house can sometimes be cool, so clothes are a thing every so often. We do always have a few cave beds with heaters on as well, but they do like to roam.

Also, Max goes outside, and Min will too, so clothes are quite important for outings.

As always, clothe only when supervised. Wash clothing in baby safe detergent. Keep clothed for a limited time (a few hours a day). Wear each item only once, and then wash.

Can't wait for your gotcha day pics!!!!!

View attachment 67922

View attachment 67923

View attachment 67924

View attachment 67925
Your babies are SOO stunning!

I think the hoodie is my favorite. Very stylish :)

linathehuman

Lairian
I'm not hugely experienced with hairless cats since my Jamie is my first one, but I've been putting him in shirts since I brought him home (we also live in CO btw, and I keep the thermostat at 72) about a month ago and he didn't care a bit, despite never wearing one before. I make him shirts out of socks and he's totally chill about it. His breeder doesn't put shirts on her cats but they just moved here from Utah, so. /shrug However, even if your kitten isn't a fan at first, I'm sure it's like getting your cat used to a collar or harness - when my previous cat was a kitten, I'd put his harness on and he'd fall over "dead". I'd ignore him and eventually he'd get up and move around. After a couple weeks of wearing it about an hour a day he was completely used to it.
I'm curious to know how you make these sock shirts. Anywhere online I could go to find patterns? That would certainly be a much cheaper option.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@linathehuman that is the purrfect outfit for a young sphynx. It fits them purrfectly and it's inexpensive. All you have to do is cut out tiny holes for the two arms and cut off the toe area.

Here are a few pics of some of the ones I made:
Sunday, November 24, 2013.  On the airplane on the way home..jpg

This particular one I used the cut toe area as a hat and I made the larger area into a dress for Miss Violet. (Shorter by the belly and longer and wavy everywhere else).

Sissy looking pretty 12-15-13.jpg

Here is a smaller version on Sissy (RIP). It's more like a shirt here.

mms1972

Lairian
We only do sweaters in the winter when it's super cold here in WI. Even then... Only for a few hours at a time. My older guy turns into a statue when he has one on and won't hardly move lol. My kitten wore sock sweater and didn't seem to mind them at all.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We only do sweaters in the winter when it's super cold here in WI. Even then... Only for a few hours at a time. My older guy turns into a statue when he has one on and won't hardly move lol. My kitten wore sock sweater and didn't seem to mind them at all.
@mms1972 I had to laugh out loud when I read your statue description. Grayson gets low to the ground to walk like if though he's got an enemy nearby and wants to go and hide. But once he gets on the couch wearing clothing (if the clothes are loose fitting), he'll cry for someone to get him off the couch and put him on the floor.

Arili O

Lairian
I'm curious to know how you make these sock shirts. Anywhere online I could go to find patterns? That would certainly be a much cheaper option.
Here's a link with pictures:
Puppy Sweater : Recycled Socks - All

Voila! Takes you like 45 seconds to make a kitty shirt once you know what you're doing.

You can use a sock with a longer ankle/leg portion to make a cowlneck or turtleneck sweater, and I also do one more step on mine: after cutting off the toe portion of the sock, I cut long slits parallel to the end cut, about a quarter inch in from the edge or so. This turns the .. "bottom end," I guess, of your cat's shirt into two straps that you can loop his/her hind legs through, which keeps the shirt from rolling up into the armpits because Sphynxs have little pot bellies. You can see the end result in this pic of my Jamester.

He's almost 5 months old now so I use men's business socks. Before I was using big kids' socks but now they're not big enough around for him. The low-cut socks like they use in the demo I linked are pretty great for basic shirts.

I hope this helps!

linathehuman

Lairian
Here's a link with pictures:
Puppy Sweater : Recycled Socks - All

Voila! Takes you like 45 seconds to make a kitty shirt once you know what you're doing.

You can use a sock with a longer ankle/leg portion to make a cowlneck or turtleneck sweater, and I also do one more step on mine: after cutting off the toe portion of the sock, I cut long slits parallel to the end cut, about a quarter inch in from the edge or so. This turns the .. "bottom end," I guess, of your cat's shirt into two straps that you can loop his/her hind legs through, which keeps the shirt from rolling up into the armpits because Sphynxs have little pot bellies. You can see the end result in this pic of my Jamester.

He's almost 5 months old now so I use men's business socks. Before I was using big kids' socks but now they're not big enough around for him. The low-cut socks like they use in the demo I linked are pretty great for basic shirts.

I hope this helps!
Love! Thank you SO much. I'll definitely be trying this out.