Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about high areas in house

AshJoJo

Lairian
Hi everyone,
We have high ledges in our home where there are areas that look out over the living room. My sphynx kitten loves to hop up on them and sit or walk around. It drives me crazy because I am petrified he is going to fall. I continuously go up and down the stairs to get him and/or check on him. I'm not sure what else I can do…does anyone have any suggestions or similar situations? Thank you for the advice, it's truly appreciated!

Ashley

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Ashely. I don't really have much advice wise for you, as we don't have any high areas in our house. But I hope someone else will be able to give you some advice. I totally understand how that would be scary watching your kitten go up high!!!

AshJoJo

Lairian
Hi Ashely. I don't really have much advice wise for you, as we don't have any high areas in our house. But I hope someone else will be able to give you some advice. I totally understand how that would be scary watching your kitten go up high!!!
Thank you so much, it is so stressful, I am anxious all the time!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AshJoJo , Can you post a pic of the high areas and we can brain storm ideas?

My adult adoptees always always jump and walk on the ledge areas of the kitchen vaulted ceilings and perch like gargoyles then hop run all over the top of the cabinets!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Are you saying the banisters are open? He might fall through
or fall off the top of the railing? Pictures would help. Would
be a better explanation.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I couldn't agree more with some kind of covering , netting system straight up and down like the golf course -
The pics will definitely help us brain storm

Also, I would include treat train to a spot to sit - like a favorite perch or cat tree far away from this area

AshJoJo

Lairian
I couldn't agree more with some kind of covering , netting system straight up and down like the golf course -
The pics will definitely help us brain storm

Also, I would include treat train to a spot to sit - like a favorite perch or cat tree far away from this area
I think we definitely need to cover it up too you're right. I need to look up how to treat train to another spot to sit. This is all so helpful❤️❤️

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know how you feel! All I can say is that cats have incredible balance! I have an area of the house that I get worried about with falling. It's basically the top floor looking over the stairs, hard to describe it. But of my 13 years being a cat owner and having had three cats, not once has anyone fell.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Don't have any good advice to offer cause the parts in your house seem difficult to cover up completly. Are you at home a lot? Then you can try to train your boy to stay away from the edges. It's maybe not the most kind way but spraying a little water on your little man when he walks on the edges is most of the time very affective. Specially when you make sure he doesn't connect the water with you. But maybe there are more nice way to train cats?
Good luck. Hope you'll find a way. Cause we all know the worries about our babies!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there. Beautiful home!

A couple ideas spring to mind.

What about buying some really nice sturdy fabric and having it firmly fixed (test for strength) to the walls of the hole so that if you naked falls, it won't be far. You can make it very decorative and exotic I would think.

But if you really want to cover it up and also provide a space for your Sphynx, you could have some sturdy wood cut to fill the hole and mount it securely to the walls in the hole (but down from the ledge a bit). This would create a lowered play space for your Sphynx that you could set up with a bed, blankets, toys etc. The underside could be decorated with an art piece, fabric etc.

I'd definitely just set up a play space!

Let us know what you decide.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Xandria wow what a great idea with the wood! It would be a beautiful cover and a playfield for the sphynx. Maybe you should think about getting a job as a home decorator?

Back