Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about my Angels swollen "boobies"

Pam

Lairian
Hi everyone. So my Angel had a spay done a month ago (ovaries and uterus). All went well and healed well. Just last week I noticed her "boobies" were swollen around each nipple. All of them. Not red, not leaking and not too swollen. Now, a week later, they are hanging.. like they have milk. There is a bit of firmness to the hanging. Its more the hind 2 that hang but the rest are all a bit bigger and depending on how she sits, they look like they hang a bit. She is active, eating, pooping and seems fine when I rub her belly. I have been watching, hoping that it will go away and that its just a hormone thing.. however, Ive read that a false pregnancy doesnt happen in spayed babies and that mammary cancer is usually in some but not usually all of the glands.. cant find answers. I had her spayed with a state supplied voucher at a animal rescue vet. I had lost my job and I was almost homeless but Im just getting back on my feet. Im hoping to get some clue as to whether this is serious before I try to bring her to the vets. If I call Im sure they will say to bring her in so they can see it and I cant afford to go unless its vital. Her well being is the most important but I have no money to waste unless necessary.. she is 11 months old. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. Pam, and babies Finn and Angel.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone. So my Angel had a spay done a month ago (ovaries and uterus). All went well and healed well. Just last week I noticed her "boobies" were swollen around each nipple. All of them. Not red, not leaking and not too swollen. Now, a week later, they are hanging.. like they have milk. There is a bit of firmness to the hanging. Its more the hind 2 that hang but the rest are all a bit bigger and depending on how she sits, they look like they hang a bit. She is active, eating, pooping and seems fine when I rub her belly. I have been watching, hoping that it will go away and that its just a hormone thing.. however, Ive read that a false pregnancy doesnt happen in spayed babies and that mammary cancer is usually in some but not usually all of the glands.. cant find answers. I had her spayed with a state supplied voucher at a animal rescue vet. I had lost my job and I was almost homeless but Im just getting back on my feet. Im hoping to get some clue as to whether this is serious before I try to bring her to the vets. If I call Im sure they will say to bring her in so they can see it and I cant afford to go unless its vital. Her well being is the most important but I have no money to waste unless necessary.. she is 11 months old. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. Pam, and babies Finn and Angel.
Perhaps she went into heat just before the spay. If its "all" the boobs I would think it wouldn't be any type of tumors or cancer. Do you have a pic? :)

Pam

Lairian
She isnt showing signs of heat. Just puffy, hanging boobies. Her brother has been fixed since January and she was spayed May 13th. Had some signs of heat a few days after the surgery which the vet said was normal. The first pic is her just before the surgery.. the others are from today. She is a fuzzy girl.. Canadian Sphynx, her brother is smooth. Both born the same litter (only the 2 of them)and both 11 months old. The green stripe is her spay tattoo.

20161230_112152.jpg
20170615_080422.jpg
20170615_080430.jpg
20170615_080422.jpg
20170615_074823 (2).jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
She isnt showing signs of heat. Just puffy, hanging boobies. Her brother has been fixed since January and she was spayed May 13th. Had some signs of heat a few days after the surgery which the vet said was normal. The first pic is her just before the surgery.. the others are from today. She is a fuzzy girl.. Canadian Sphynx, her brother is smooth. Both born the same litter (only the 2 of them)and both 11 months old. The green stripe is her spay tattoo.

View attachment 78444 View attachment 78441 View attachment 78442 View attachment 78441 View attachment 78443
I would get a vet check. We have seen that if a vet misses something during the spay it can bring on hormonal changes like swollen mammary glands etc. Does she show any signs of being in heat? Is this even possible?!?!. @Pam
I second this. :)

Back