Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about nail caps

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Just an inquiry:

I'm not planning on getting them but I did see them at PetSmart and they came in all sorts of colors and designs and was just wondering if anyone had ever used nail caps on any of their kitties or on Sphynx. I really just wanted to know how it worked out. I'm too scared to use them on Snuffie, I'd be scared she would get an infection or something if icky litter or poo got inside of them.

susi794

Staff member
I knew a girl that put them on her cats all the time --she said she had to replace them about every 3-4 weeks. They pop off pretty easily I think. Never heard of anyone getting infected from them, but only know of that one person .

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow,,,they are pretty neat looking. They had HOT PINK and ZEBRA STRIPES!! I'm a "out there" sort of person and I do have to admit,,,if Snuffie ever ends up in a parade I might want to try them out! lol But only for show, not a all the time thing. It just caught me off guard seeing them and I was like,,OMG! How cute! But I just worry trying new things with Snuffie. Currently trying a new ear cleaner,,thats enough of a gamble for me right now. lol And so far so good with the ear cleaner! lol

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cats had them off in 2.5 seconds. I was just thinking about trying it again because they shredded my NEW couch. JERKS! I have tried EVERYTHING. At this point my option is locking them up when I can't supervise them.

Ben even likes to scratch the wood cubboards. Jack is the carpet/cushion scratcher and Juno is the vertical scratcher.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I tried using them for a while. I never had a problem with infection, but the cats would lose them all over the house & sometimes would try to chew them off. If I remember right, I would say I'd have to replace 1-2 caps each week. It was a hassle to get the super-glue stuff into the cap and onto the claw without gluing your fingers to the cap or the cat's foot.

However, once they were on, they did what they are supposed to do. Not an awful product but a bit of maintenance.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My cats had them off in 2.5 seconds. I was just thinking about trying it again because they shredded my NEW couch. JERKS! I have tried EVERYTHING. At this point my option is locking them up when I can't supervise them.

Ben even likes to scratch the wood cubboards. Jack is the carpet/cushion scratcher and Juno is the vertical scratcher.

I have the cardboard vertical scratcher thing, Snuffie wont even sniff it. She has no interest, she does scratch on her cat tree pole thing tho. She doesn't claw up our furniture at all but we all have atleast one scratch down our back right now where she didn't get good footing on her landing when she jumped on our shoulder! lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I tried using them for a while. I never had a problem with infection, but the cats would lose them all over the house & sometimes would try to chew them off. If I remember right, I would say I'd have to replace 1-2 caps each week. It was a hassle to get the super-glue stuff into the cap and onto the claw without gluing your fingers to the cap or the cat's foot.

However, once they were on, they did what they are supposed to do. Not an awful product but a bit of maintenance.

Yea,,chewing them off. I wouldn't be able to put them on her back paws anyhow. She chews her back claws to the nubs for some reason and I wouldnt want her eating them. God only knows what sort of issue that would cause.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got some a long time ago for Butternutsquash. I still have them.

Someone told me at first kitty will pop them off pretty easy but as they get used to them they will last longer. But I have no firsthand experience. Frankly, I'm scared to put them on Buttersnorts, he would act like a maniac.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can hear them scratching on the couch right now. I was trying to let them have night time freedom but I am about to lock them in my son's bedroom. I am sick to death of the damage they cause. I have several posts, cardboards you name it. I have a feliway diffuser. I have sprays that are supposed to make them not scratch and sprays to attract. I have cat nip and blah blah blah, I have tried everything. I clip their nails twice per week. I even "gave" them an old ratty chair to scratch. Nope. You should see what they did to my son's chair. It had been in the house two hours before they ruined it while we were napping. Jack is the worst one.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I can hear them scratching on the couch right now. I was trying to let them have night time freedom but I am about to lock them in my son's bedroom. I am sick to death of the damage they cause. I have several posts, cardboards you name it. I have a feliway diffuser. I have sprays that are supposed to make them not scratch and sprays to attract. I have cat nip and blah blah blah, I have tried everything. I clip their nails twice per week. I even "gave" them an old ratty chair to scratch. Nope. You should see what they did to my son's chair. It had been in the house two hours before they ruined it while we were napping. Jack is the worst one.

Oh no! My hairy kitties always clawed furniture, I couldn't keep anything nice with them. Snuffie has tried a few times to endulge herself with my big red recliner,,you'll see it in many of her photos but I just snap at her little paws and she stops. Most of the time when we sleep or are not home she sleeps as well so we are good tho. (Except when we leave for more than 8 hours, she hates that and WILL make a mess to let us know she is NOT HAPPY!) The only complaints I hear about Snuffie is she doesn't cover her poo's in her litter box. I can live with that, I'll cover them for her..so what! lol I figure if that is her only flaw then I'm doing pretty good!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I was grooming full time, I had a client who brought her two cats in every other week to have her nail caps done.

First, putting the glue in the tiny cap and getting it on is a royal pain!

Second, according to this lady they lasted about a day or two, then started coming off one at a time, her particular cats did not chew them. when they came back in after about two weeks, they would have less than half of them still on.

third, they looked pretty once done, but seriously, to me, it looked uncomfortable. It did not seem as if they could fully retract their claws. Now, they never had any infection or medical problems in the time I knew them, but it just looked uncomfortable to me.

That's all of my experiance with them, hope it helps. I would do it as maybe halloween or some dress em up occasion, but not long term.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cats don't cover their poo either but I have the litter robot now, just haven't had time to even take it out of the box.

If I sticky taped what they scratch I would be broke from buying tape, and I would end up being taped to something for sure!

holly_savage

Banned
My cats don't cover their poo either but I have the litter robot now, just haven't had time to even take it out of the box.

If I sticky taped what they scratch I would be broke from buying tape, and I would end up being taped to something for sure!

I`m with you on this one...we have a love seat 3 arm chairs and an ottoman in the living room, she will scratch all and any of them, from any angle...so the tape thing would be dangerous..

The 9 sisal scratching posts and the 2 cardboard ones she turns her nose up at!

taminate

Lairian
I did the caps on my old "normal" cats, and my male would have them off ALL OF THEM in minutes... we ended up declawing him because the damage was so bad. After getting my sphynx I swore I would not declaw and there have been times I had considered the caps again-but my sphynx are crazy-im thinking they would hop and jump all over the place-that is what they do when my girls put "bracelets" on them :p I have been very fortunate that mine dont scratch much at all. WHen the full moon is out=my female likes to attack the carpet in one spot, but I am most annoyed with their back claws from when they pounce.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't wait until declawing is made illegal... behavior modifiction has always worked for me ssticky tape and water guns and patience... I mean people don't cut off their kids fingers when they make a mess, they teach them until they learn...

taminate

Lairian
I can't wait until declawing is made illegal... behavior modifiction has always worked for me ssticky tape and water guns and patience... I mean people don't cut off their kids fingers when they make a mess, they teach them until they learn...

I don't agree w/ it either-but I had my other cats when I lived in my moms house and it was her rules...I could never do it again!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you can get them on in the first place your doing good, but like everyone said. It's not worth the effort cause they come off to easy.

Back