Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about recovery time from a spay

Kittay4me

Lairian
So my new kitty is still with the breeder and had her spay Monday morning. I'm to pick her up sometime this week and the breeder said if all goes well, I could take her on Wed. Is that too early? I would prefer to wait a little if she doesn't seem up to it and have expressed this to the breeder; basically just playing it by ear. I'm obviously eager to bring her home but if I don't pick her up Wed, then I would have to wait until the weekend. What's the average recovery time for a Sphynx spay?

Thanks guys!

She's the one in the teddy bear blanket :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57

Ella_B

Lairian
Berlin was bouncing around and trying to eat her stitches by the next day after her spay :Laugh:. They recover remarkably quickly for the most part, but I agree that playing it by ear is the best idea. I don't think a conscientious breeder will let a kitten go to a new home if she is feeling poorly.

Good luck with your new addition. She looks so sweet.

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Do you mean you are getting her this weds or next week.
If it is Jan 5th that is way to early.

TotenEngel

Banned
Most animals recover fine from spaying surgery very quickly.
Though, I would say if you are not happy with taking her that soon, ask the breeder to keep her a little longer for your piece of mind.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Leo goes for his today so I will let you know how he is. Boys do recover quicker as per usual their surgery is easier.

Kittay4me

Lairian
I'm going to talk to her tonight to see how she is doing, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait a little longer.

Good luck Leo!!!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is a very pretty little sphynx! It sounds like you would be more comfortable waiting til the weekend so talk with the breeder- I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Kittay4me

Lairian
Thank you! I can't wait to meet her. The anticipation is killing me... haha. She was supposed to be spayed last week but everything got set back due to the snow on the easy coast and the holidays. I do trust the breeder... she's been very informative and quick to answer any questions... but I guess it's just like being a new mom; I'm going to be super protective about everything.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

You are suppose to wait at least 10 days after a cat is altered to let them go to the new home.
I would have the breeder hold her longer.
Male are fine the same day they are altered but the breeder with them also just not as long.
Are her stitches dissolving or do they have to come out.
My cats did act normal but they still are sore from the surgery a few days after.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
When I brought Snuffie home she was altered about 8 days prior to me picking her up. Her stitches were the disolvable kind so there was no need for her to go back to the breeders vet. Even when I brought her home I took her to the vet the next day for a wellness check and had my vet give her tummy a look to make sure she was ok. All went well.
If your not comfortable bringing her home yet then wait, it won't hurt at all.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As I recall Pedda was a little sore the day after spaying but was back to normal by day 3. It never hurts to wait, I'd probably want to wait the few extra days too just to make her move easier on her.

Kittay4me

Lairian
hmm, I didn't ask about the dissolvable stitches, I just assumed. I'll ask her tomorrow. I'm definitely waiting. I'll probably pick her up Sunday if all goes well.

Thanks guys :)

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hmm, I didn't ask about the dissolvable stitches, I just assumed. I'll ask her tomorrow. I'm definitely waiting. I'll probably pick her up Sunday if all goes well.

Thanks guys :)

We had a girl/ kitten spayed on Thursday, she had dis-solvable stitches inside and glue outside. At the moment she has a raised bump under the incision as her body is reacting to the sutures. No infection and not a hernia (we saw the vet today) just a reaction, but I wouldn't be comfortable letting her go yet.

If you are more comfortable waiting a few more days then I think that would be good. She will get to heal in a place she is familiar with so no added stress and if anything was to happen then her breeder can take her to their vet and get it dealt with, so you don't have the stress, unexpected expenses etc.

Kittay4me

Lairian

I'll post more pictures as soon as she comes home. I decided to pick her up on Sunday. She's doing well so far and the incision is pretty much closed. The breeder has been putting vitamin E oil on it everyday to heal quicker. She's up and about :)

Can't wait though!

Kittay4me

Lairian
So she's home safe and sound and 98% healed. Thanks everyone for your advice on waiting. The wait was definitely worth it. Thanks to a snow storm today into tomorrow, I get to spend the every moment with her.

Kittay4me

Lairian
She's doing great! The first day or two she was still a bit timid of her surroundings, but by day three she was venturing out into the other rooms. She saw herself in the mirror for the first time and wasn't having it at all... haha... ears down, meowing away, and slowly backing up. Mostly she just wants to cuddle, follow me around, and lick fuzzy blankets.

I haven't named her yet... I have a few ideas but nothing has really stuck yet. She's very dainty and lady-like, so she definitely needs a name to embody that. So far it's between Harlow, Opal, Lady Violet, or Miss Prudence and Pru for short. Aaaah, I can't decide :Dizzy:

Back