Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question & Buncha Pics

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
I wasen't quite sure where to post this, but I have a question.
Baldwin has been especially clumsy lately. He is seriously falling over himself. The only thing I can think of is a couple things. Yesterday I gave him a bath, clipped nails and cleaned ears. I don't think it was the bath that messed him up, but I did clip 2 nails a bit short on his back foot :( but I don't think that would cause him to trip over himself. He is using that foot just fine and bearing weight on it. The other thing it might be is his ears. You think his equilibirum is off from me cleaning his ears?? Will is resolve itself? Or do you think it's something else?
Thanks!
Ohh, here's some pics of my handsome boy! :D

2-9.jpg

3-8.jpg

4-7.jpg

6-3.jpg

Ready to go back in! lol

5-6.jpg

He just wanted to cuddle and eat my fingers! :LOL:

b49c70c2.jpg

e817ac57.jpg

:ThumbsUp:

Bella07

Banned
Oh wow, he is so gorgeous! Really, stunning, I love his face! I'm sorry that he isn't act right. Perhaps it is an inner ear infection? My Golden had one a few months ago. Her balance was off, would walk in circles, and she just acted off....I didn't think it was an ear infection because her ears were clean, but the vet proved me wrong. She's all well now though. Maybe you should talk to your vet? I'm not sure...Well, Good Luck! Hope he feels better soon!

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
I used ear cleaner from the vet. I use q-tips to clean out the dirt that I can see in the ear- I never put the qtip IN the ear. Then with the cleaner I quirted a small amount into the ear and massaged the base of the ear and let him shake his head to get anything deep in there out. Make sense? That's how the vet suggested I clean them.
He was acting normal before the bath and for a while after. It was within the same day that he started falling. When he would jump off the couch he wouldn't land on his feet or when he would shake his head he would fall.

susi794

Staff member
One of our members had a terrible time with her baby after pouring liquid into his ears--it sounds to me like the ear cleaning is the culprit--you should take him to the vet. He's a pretty boy, for sure!

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
Dangit! Now I feel bad :( I will call his vet in the morning.
Thanks for all the input and wonderful comments on pics!
I just adore him! :D

MontyBurns

Lairian
He is soooo handsome! I went to the vet recently and they cleaned Mr. Burns' ear with a gauze because they said using a q-tip can cause equilibrium problems. I'm not sure if that could be it though in your case since I assume you have always used q-tips...hmmmm...

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i think i feel in love with him! "love at first sight!" and i know that "snuggled in your legs" pose... my little man does that!!

Maybe he got water/clearer in his ears?...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics:ThumbsUp:
As far as the falling, it sounds like it is from the ear. A qtip should not be used even if you just do the outside a small peice could fall off and go in the ear canal and cause this, we had this happen to another member once. Also try squirting the ear cleaner on a cotton ball and squeezing in around in the ear that way you won't be pouring in in the ear itself.
Best of luck and hope everything is fine.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What adorable toes!!

Dont feel bad...you didnt do anything wrong. It sounds as though you are cleaning the ears correctly! Some people and vets reccomend not using q tips, but as long as you are carefull and only put the q tip in as far as you can see, then they are ok to use. You do also have to make sure to look at the q tip, so you notice if an end comes off.
If he is unbalanced for a more than a day or two, definetely get his ears checked out. Severe ear infections cause balance problems, circling and vomiting but he may just have a mild one and since ear problems are painfull its good to catch it early.
Good luck! Love the photos!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh wow he is gorgeous!

Sounds like your on the right track as far as cleaning his ears. I would switch to using cottonballs tho. I tear mine in half (cuz they are so big) and put a little cleaner on them and clean that way. I then go back and clean out any "excess" fluid with the dry half of the cotton ball so no fluid stays in her ear.

Is this the first time you used the ear cleaner from the vets? It could be that the brand given just isn't working for him and may need something slightly different.

Goodluck tho and keep us posted. Hopefully its something easily treated!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't beat yourself up over following your vet's ear cleaning instructions. Hopefully his balance will be restored soon. Next time you can give the cotton ball method a try instead and see if that works better for Baldwin.

Back