Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question, Do your sphynx get eye boogers what can I do to stop them?

Marissa17a

Lairian
Hello,
I'm a new sphynx mom, just received my baby boy like 3 weeks ago but noticed a few days later after bringing him home he's been getting eye boogers / watery eyes all the time & I always have to be wiping his eyes is this normal for the breed, how can I get his eye boogers to clear up & stop I hate seeing him like this :unsure: even though he's very active eats well & drinks & uses potty fine I would like answers or advice ?
Thank you !! :)

Last edited:

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello,
I'm a new sphynx mom, just received my baby boy like 3 weeks ago but noticed a few days later after bringing him home he's been getting eye boogers / watery eyes all the time & I always have to be wiping his eyes is this normal for the breed, how can I get his eye boogers to clear up & stop I hate seeing him like this :unsure: even though he's very active eats well & drinks & uses potty fine I would like answers or advice ?
Thank you !! :)
Eye goobers are one of the "perks" of owning a sphynx. They can be quite gross but you'll get used to them. Wiping your baby's face will help. You can also use your finger to remove the boogers gently. If his eyes are super watery instead of producing one large juicy (gross I know) booger each then maybe it's a sign of URI. My cats eyes get super watery when they are potentially getting a kitty cold. I'd recommend llysine in the diet if that's the case.

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi @Marissa17a ! Did I miss a post from you? I didn't see anything about your "gotcha" day! How exciting that your lil guy is home! What did you name him?
I had 2 rescues before but once we got them healthy, we didn't have daily eye boogers. They did get them, but not where they needed to be wiped EVERY DAY. And Buck has been home for a week and a few days and I think I've only wiped his eyes maybe twice. I do use l lysine, we used it with our other 2 also. If your lil loves eyes are THAT watery every day, maybe you should have him looked at. Has he had a well check yet?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the discharge is not yellowish it is pretty normal. If it is yellowish, it usually is a sign of a URI. Our kitten has the worst eye boogers of any Sphynx we have had. BTW congrats on your new baby!

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you can get in the habit of washing his face and eye's every
morning it will help.
I buy baby wash cloths, the oil get's in their eyes because
They have no eyelashes. As long as there's no yellow
or green discharge. Then, it's a infection. A Vet visit is
In order.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
The floor of my house is coveres in eye boogers so if you find a way to stop it, I would love to hear:).

Welcome to sphynxlair! Congratulations with your boy. Do you have pics of him to share?

You can try washing his face with a washcloth or special wipes for cats to get rid of the eyeboogers. Reddish/brown boogers are normal. If it gets yellowish there could be a problem.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wipe Max and Mins' faces every day... but... some days they decide to make a big booger after the face wipe. Then one of two things happen:
1. In the throes of trying to gently remove booger with my finger, they shake their head, sending the booger flying in some unseen direction which I will find weeks later and wonder how many house guests found them before me.
or
2. I manage to remove the eye booger and think I've removed it from myself, only to discover later in the day the booger is still on my finger or hiding under my fingernail.

Eye boogers happen.
Poop happens.
It's a Sphynx thing.

Marissa17a

Lairian
Eye goobers are one of the "perks" of owning a sphynx. They can be quite gross but you'll get used to them. Wiping your baby's face will help. You can also use your finger to remove the boogers gently. If his eyes are super watery instead of producing one large juicy (gross I know) booger each then maybe it's a sign of URI. My cats eyes get super watery when they are potentially getting a kitty cold. I'd recommend llysine in the diet if that's the case.
What is lysine if u don't mind me being asking sorry I'm new to all of this, he's been getting large juicy green boogies & really watery eyes wear it looks like sometimes he's crying :unsure:

Marissa17a

Lairian
Hi @Marissa17a ! Did I miss a post from you? I didn't see anything about your "gotcha" day! How exciting that your lil guy is home! What did you name him?
I had 2 rescues before but once we got them healthy, we didn't have daily eye boogers. They did get them, but not where they needed to be wiped EVERY DAY. And Buck has been home for a week and a few days and I think I've only wiped his eyes maybe twice. I do use l lysine, we used it with our other 2 also. If your lil loves eyes are THAT watery every day, maybe you should have him looked at. Has he had a well check yet?
Hello,
I named him EGYPT he's very precious he's already melting my heart lol but when I picked him up his eyes were fine & a few days later they were getting green slimy boogers and really bad watery eyes where can I find that lysine at? And how do I give it to him? Also I didn't get to post gotcha day my internet was down & just got it back up, is last seen at the vet was 5 / 15 / 17 but his eyes were fine then , my baby on pictures below the day I got him :happy:

Attachments

• received_1357290184387287.jpeg
    received_1357290184387287.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Marissa17a

Lairian
Hello,
He's getting both juicy & really watery eyes may I ask u what is a URI sorry new to all of this?

Marissa17a

Lairian
As long as the discharge is not yellowish it is pretty normal. If it is yellowish, it usually is a sign of a URI. Our kitten has the worst eye boogers of any Sphynx we have had. BTW congrats on your new baby!

Patti
Thank you so much... He's discharged is a light green / watery eyes

Marissa17a

Lairian
I wipe Max and Mins' faces every day... but... some days they decide to make a big booger after the face wipe. Then one of two things happen:
1. In the throes of trying to gently remove booger with my finger, they shake their head, sending the booger flying in some unseen direction which I will find weeks later and wonder how many house guests found them before me.
or
2. I manage to remove the eye booger and think I've removed it from myself, only to discover later in the day the booger is still on my finger or hiding under my fingernail.

Eye boogers happen.
Poop happens.
It's a Sphynx thing.
OK thank you !!

Marissa17a

Lairian
If you can get in the habit of washing his face and eye's every
morning it will help.
I buy baby wash cloths, the oil get's in their eyes because
They have no eyelashes. As long as there's no yellow
or green discharge. Then, it's a infection. A Vet visit is
In order.
Yes his eye discharge is a light green & watery eyes his last visit to the visit to the vet was the 15th of may but he didn't have it then !!

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes his eye discharge is a light green & watery eyes his last visit to the visit to the vet was the 15th of may but he didn't have it then !!

You should get it checked out at the vet, it sounds like an infection. Some antibiotic eye drops should clear it up. Terramycin is great to have at home, it's an ointment you can put on their eyes the second their eyes start looking off/having abnormal discharge to prevent it developing into an infection.

Marissa17a

Lairian
You should get it checked out at the vet, it sounds like an infection. Some antibiotic eye drops should clear it up. Terramycin is great to have at home, it's an ointment you can put on their eyes the second their eyes start looking off/having abnormal discharge to prevent it developing into an infection.
OK thank you where can I find that ointment?

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Marissa17a Egypt is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I get the powder form of l lysine and sprinkle it on his wet food in the morning and at night. I buy it through Amazon. Let us know how Egypt is doing!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend seeing a vet and you can order L-Lysine on Amazon or some pet supply stores carry it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Marissa17a , keep us updated often
I too am a big fan of Terramycin opthalmic ointment for eyes.
(Available on line )

Also, some get allergies from anything from fabric softeners , carpet Deodorizers , perfumed scemted litter.
I am currently using either Dr elseys unscented litter or Frisco unscented litter

Head smooches sent

Back