Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question for Breeders.....

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When you have babies born that look alike how do you tell them apart? Especially when someone says" I want that one"?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not a breeder but I spent time over a couple days at the breeders when I got Sophie. She had 3 kitties left from Sophie's litter- all black! The first day I couldn't tell which was which but by the end I could. I could tell since the boy- was a boy- and the girl was a little thinner and darker than Sophie. But the breeder could tell from the ear placement and her "break" (I still don't know what this is!) they see things my un-trained eyes cannot!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I read your diary post so your question worries me only because it seems like you are questioning your breeder?
We have never had this problem but I am always prepared to mark them when they are born so I can keep A record of who was born when and then know who is who as they grow ect.
After A deposit is given I would say this is very important.
I have A friend who had A litter of golden's and I was there when they where born and I marked each one with A color with non toxic paint and that was how she new who was who.
Please just do your self a favor if you are questioning this just call the breeder and ask her how she is going about this, it will make you feel better. Remember there is no such thing as too many questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well Caspers breeder said she is going to memorize her but now she has another litter in with them so now I guess I am just being paranoid that we are going to end up with a different kitty. Not sure if we will know. I know I have seen some do different things like the nails and ribbons. And I guess they do memorize :Cool:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I read your diary post so your question worries me only because it seems like you are questioning your breeder?
We have never had this problem but I am always prepared to mark them when they are born so I can keep A record of who was born when and then know who is who as they grow ect.
After A deposit is given I would say this is very important.
I have A friend who had A litter of golden's and I was there when they where born and I marked each one with A color with non toxic paint and that was how she new who was who.
Please just do your self a favor if you are questioning this just call the breeder and ask her how she is going about this, it will make you feel better. Remember there is no such thing as to many questions.

I know I just feel bad and and feel that she will be upset that I am not sure in her capabilities. I guess I will try and ask her.

dragynflye

Lairian
dog breeders use different color collars or ribbons. when you have an entire litter of black great danes, you need a way to tell them apart! rat breeders use different colors of food coloring on the tips of their tails. it's non toxic and lasts for several days before mama starts grooming it off and their tails need to be re-dipped.

gizmo6370

Banned
There are different ways to tell them apart....nailpolish is one of them....all kind of colors collars....but most of the time....you see the difference...because you see them all day....and some are boys...some are girls....one is more heavy then the other etc. etc.
And remember....there are no stupid questions :ThumbsUp: :Wink:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Forgive me...but if you don't trust her capabilities in telling two cats apart...why in the world do you trust her to breed healthy cats?

I do trust her, I just was worried that she wouldnt be able to tell them apart. But thats just me being crazy and not being a breeder. So now I know that many breeders can tell them apart just by meerly seeing them everyday. I guess its kind of like having twins?? Parents can usually tell them apart! I had triplet sisters and I could tell them apart I just never thought of it that way with kitties:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
I'm not a breeder but I spent time over a couple days at the breeders when I got Sophie. She had 3 kitties left from Sophie's litter- all black! The first day I couldn't tell which was which but by the end I could. I could tell since the boy- was a boy- and the girl was a little thinner and darker than Sophie. But the breeder could tell from the ear placement and her "break" (I still don't know what this is!) they see things my un-trained eyes cannot!
The break is the way the bridge of their nose joins their forehead--ideally there is a dip. Where the forehead "breaks" to form the nose.
Also, when you have the babies and interact with them daily, there is always something different that you can make note of--I have been breeding for about two years and have never had a litter I couldn't tell apart, once I really looked them over. If you have concerns, voice them to your breeder.

MeXaHuK

Lairian
Hallo habe eine Frage.
Ich habe eine Canadian Sphynx und möchte fragen kann man canadian sphynxe mit den Don-Sphynx verpaaren oder geht das nicht. Und wenn nicht warum?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hallo habe eine Frage.
Ich habe eine Canadian Sphynx und möchte fragen kann man canadian sphynxe mit den Don-Sphynx verpaaren oder geht das nicht. Und wenn nicht warum?

Hello have a question.
Can I have a Canadian Sphynx and mà ¶ chte ask you canadian sphinx with the Don Sphynx breed or does not do that. And if not why?

Back