Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question for Litter Robot Users

LLevenson

Lairian
Hi!

I have a question/favor to ask of litter robot users. Would anyone be willing to measure and tell me the overall dimensions (globe + drawer/base) of the litter robot, specifically the one with the bubble? I looked on the website but it gives several dimensions and I just can't tell what the answer is.

I want to know b/c my husband and I are almost finished w/ a garage remodel and part of this remodel is that we added a kitty door through a wall into the garage. The kitty door is actually in the wall of our dining area (only wall shared with the garage) and the door will open into a "box" that will house the litter box (fully enclosed so Arias can't free roam in the garage!). I am tossing around the idea of getting a litter robot b/c I know that once the litter box is "out of sight" I am worried it will become "out of mind" too! I thought that perhaps a litter robot would make it so that I only have to think about it once a week and make cleanup/litter changes/scooping much easier. I read the other threads about it and it looks like if you can get your kitty to use it, it rocks!

So I guess my question is, what size box would I (well, lets be honest, my hubby) need to build to house the litter robot? We are hoping to build this box next week, so I just want to know how big to build it and if the litter robot is even an option.

my husband thinks it's going to have to be huge and complains that a majority of the costs of our garage remodel are going towards the cat pooping! :LOL: oh, and in case anyone is worried, since our garage is quite small and we have an old house w/ very little storage, our garage is not used to park a car, just to store stuff/laundry...so there won't be any car fumes to worry about! Arias is already quite intrigued with the kitty door and if my hubby stands on the other side, Arias goes right through, so it's awesome that he is already cool with the concept!

Thanks in advance!!!
LeAnna

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so glad that my husband and I are not the only ones that think about our critters when we remodel our home :) I love it!!!

Nair Bare

Lairian
I sent Peeve upstairs with a yardstick and this is what he reports........

Highest point from floor to ridge in globe is 29 inches

Longest distance from front of drawer step to end of bubble was 25 inches

Widest point across the globe was 23 inches

It is always better to give yourself a little fudge factor when building something, I speak from experience.

And if you are going to put the entire unit in a box you might want to do what I did, especially since you will need a power outlet nearby too. One of my BIG Scottish Folds did not like to go into such a dark area, so I put the unit in front of a night light that is always on. The additional light penetrates the clear bubble and illuminates the interior of the globe. Now the scaredy-cat doesn't hesitate to use the facilities.

LLevenson

Lairian
Thank you Nair Bare!!

now we have to measure and figure out if/how we can make this work!!! I really appreciate Peeve taking measurements for us!! great suggestion on the night light....we are tossing around the idea of the side of the box that will open for cleaning might be plexi-glass so that light can come in (and Arias can have a "view" into the garage to satisfy his curiosity!)

Nair Bare

Lairian
As you build this box, remember you will be taking the entire globe off sometimes for a deep cleaning. How are you going to handle the top of your enclosure box? Where will the hinges be so you can work around the open lid? Perhaps the top of your box will be completely removable? Are you going to fill the globe from the dump ports on the side of the globe or through the front opening?
You may be wiser to get the Robot and use it for awhile to see how you are going to tend its needs.
Peeve thinks the plexiglass is an excellent idea because you will want to see the "fill line" inside the dark globe. If you over-load it, it just dumps the excess litter in the drawer. But if you under-load it, it can become a smear mess all around the inside of the unit. Let there be light!

LLevenson

Lairian
can I consult you on all our house projects??? :Wink: great idea about the top needing to have the ability to open as well as the side. We will put hinges on both so that we have full access. We just measured this evening and it looks like it will fit! It will stick out a little farther than we wanted but only by a few inches and I think we are wiling to give a few inches for freedom from daily scooping! Thank you so much for measuring and for the great ideas! I will have to post pics once it's all completed!

beeblebrox

Lairian
I see someone answered your litter box dimensions question :)

I just wanted to add that the Litter Robot is the best thing since sliced bread. We have 3 of them and love 'em! You will have to keep in mind cleaning the robot when planning your project. Sometimes the side disposal holes get mucked up so you'll have to have access to the side. You will also want to wash the inside and outside sometimes. I spray my with vinegar after each empty and I have no odor issue what so ever.

The cool thing too is that I train all our newborn kittens to use the robot so even though their pet home may not have a robot, they will be used to going into covered spaces for their private bizness.

Another thing I use around the house are the top entry boxes which really keep tracking litter down to a minimum.

Kitty Kisses!

Dez

LLevenson

Lairian
Thanks Dez!

It's great to hear rave reviews. I actually just finished ordering one! I am very excited! Arias already uses a covered box so I am hoping this won't be that big of a stretch for him. He's very smart and tolerant of litter box changes (we travel a lot with him and all I have to do is show him once where the box is and he never has any issues/tantrums). hopefully the liter robot will arrive this coming week, he can get used to it, and in the mean time, the box will be built and then we will all live in no-more-litter-tracking/smell heaven!