Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question on skin? Other than coconut oil.

Notorious

Lairian
Hey there,
I've been lurking for some time after just recently acquiring two sphynx. One in particular seem's to have really bad skin, just on his back - it's dry, peels sometimes, and darker than his normal coloring I've taken him to three vets and all have just told me to put coconut oil on him, which I've been doing... but I thought I would post a couple pictures up and see what other sphynx owners could tell me. I want to be sure I'm doing all that I can do make sure he gets the best treatment.

I think what happened to him, is he is allergic to cotton. I used to have him wearing clothes (100% cotton), and noticed he was licking a lot and bumps started to show up on his neck (hives?). So I took the clothes off, and notices he was pink, and bumpy from it. Afterwards about two days, his back turned dark, maybe scabbing (see the pictures)? Just want to be sure coconut oil is all that can be done for him.

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you

2ps20p2.jpg

2rnuhed.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there,
I've been lurking for some time after just recently acquiring two sphynx. One in particular seem's to have really bad skin, just on his back - it's dry, peels sometimes, and darker than his normal coloring I've taken him to three vets and all have just told me to put coconut oil on him, which I've been doing... but I thought I would post a couple pictures up and see what other sphynx owners could tell me. I want to be sure I'm doing all that I can do make sure he gets the best treatment.

I think what happened to him, is he is allergic to cotton. I used to have him wearing clothes (100% cotton), and noticed he was licking a lot and bumps started to show up on his neck (hives?). So I took the clothes off, and notices he was pink, and bumpy from it. Afterwards about two days, his back turned dark, maybe scabbing (see the pictures)? Just want to be sure coconut oil is all that can be done for him.

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you

2ps20p2.jpg

2rnuhed.jpg
Welcome @Notorious! I guess the coconut oil will be of some help with the chapping and dry skin. I would leave him free of clothes for awhile and let him build up his natural oils (sebum) which helps in maintaining a healthy barrier to reduce water loss or moisture. Also when his skin becomes better, you may want to try D'grease shampoo, its highly recommended here on the Lair with many members. Hope it gets better soon! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Notorious , congrats on your new babies! Hope to see pics!
We skip clothes , have clear skin using Hylyt Shampoo for baths every 6 weeks or so-

I dont use coconut oil or D'Grease because my adoptees hate water/ baths and it really needs really good rinsing-
Mine get quickies with Hylyt and so far so good :)

I even very dilute a few drops of Hylyt shampoo in warm water pitcher and do wipe downs with baby face cloths in between baths and have clear skin on all 4 adoptees.

Batman came to me with flank pigmentation from sunbathing- went away on its own with restricting window bathing..

Does your baby sunbath?
I will try to find a pic of Batmans skin that cleared on its own and no more occurrences

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 66

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with the above. Also, wash all Sphynx bedding and blankets a couple times per week and use mild detergent.

Max wears clothes a couple times per week, but only for about 8 hours a day tops. Clothes are washed after one wearing.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. I use HyLyT Shampoo and
it's very good shampoo. I would keep the clothes off of him.
When you do let him ever wear them again, I would only leave them
on 3-4 hrs. Always put on clean next day.
Keep the throws, blankets, bedding, changed frequent also.
Coconut oil makes them oily. More than normal. I would keep him out
of the Sun. Bathe once a week.

deanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I never use coconut oil because it seems to make mine dirtier faster lol. I highly recomment using the HyLyT shampoo. My babies are so soft and smooth after I started using it.

Jacks153

Lairian
@Notorious @deanna @Hairless Blessing @Yoda mom

HI ALL !!!

Did you know the sphynx breed has their own line of soap specifically made for them & the uniqueness of their skin sensitivity? It's called PAWFECT & Its here in the sphynx lair store. You can also get it at www.OrganicallyBeautifulByJC.com its 100 % organic and made with the best ingredients that keeps your babies smooth and soft without stripping their natural oils. Tons of reviews. You'll love it! Better then Hylyt! Comes in a variety of scents Hemp Rose, Hemp Citrus , Hemp Lavender just to name a few!

Back