Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

QUESTION?

tulababy2010

Lairian
this might be a bit much, however i have been wondering this for a while. tula has normal poo its solid and about 2 times a day, but... it has an oder from outta this world. it's just REALLY strong. my other 2 hairy cats don't have that outta this world poo smell, but my sphynx does. is this normal? they even all eat the same kinda food... i don't know what the heck is goin on down there!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy has really stinky poop too. He eats Innova dry and Wellness wet food, so I don't know what the problem is, but it would be nice to fix it!! Lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie's litter box doesn't smell but after she goes I have to wipe her down pretty good cuz she sure can clear a room!!! I think I just have really good litter that gives good odor block!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Our 2 seem normal nothing too bad but alot of the members here seem to have some stinky poo:Surprise: Leo is more gassy then Athena but in the poop department they are the same.

PitRottMommy

Banned
this might be a bit much, however i have been wondering this for a while. tula has normal poo its solid and about 2 times a day, but... it has an oder from outta this world. it's just REALLY strong. my other 2 hairy cats don't have that outta this world poo smell, but my sphynx does. is this normal? they even all eat the same kinda food... i don't know what the heck is goin on down there!

What type of food are you feeding (be specific), Tulababy?

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maggie has the same prob!!! Even the vet said they have nvr smelled poop so stinky!!! She deff clears rooms lol!

tulababy2010

Lairian
i feed her iams pro health in the purple bag. infact all my cats eat that... i dunno what to do... it's horrible! as far as clearing a room... tula clears the whole house! the second she poo's if im home i clean the box... but the smell sticks around for a while!! christina what kinda litter do you use?

PitRottMommy

Banned
You will likely see a benefit in odor if you switched to a higher quality food. Iams puts a lot of filler and items known to cause illness in cats. In addition, the grain and fillers often cause GI gas, cramping, malodorous stools, etc. Highlighted are the culprits in the food you mentioned:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Fish Oil (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract.

Try a food that is more gentle on the stomach without fillers and with a lower grade of salt. High salt content leads to kidney problems/failure:

Fresh deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh deboned salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, fresh deboned lake whitefish, peas, fresh deboned walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh deboned turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Katelyn-

I use Tidy Cats clat litter for Multiple cats. I litterally have an alarm set on my cell to remind to clean her box daily because there is ZERO smell to remind me. (I scoop her box once a day and change litter once to twice a week as needed) Usually the only way I know she has been is if she just went and walks into the room I'm in and sticks her butt in my face. Then she gets the wipe down and sulks but, if I didn't have that litter I dont know what I would do. I use the same food as you so I know what you mean about the smell. I also have snuffie on Iams canned kitten food and she gets the kibble all the time.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
PitRottMommy-

I envy you for your vast knowledge. I only wish I could keep up! lol I do want to try to switch Snuffie to raw feeding and I even ground up a chicken leg for her one night as a test but she would have NOTHING to do with it. (She will eat cooked chicken all day if I let her tho!) I know I was missing the additives of some of the added vitamins and what not but I only tried it as a test. Snuffie and Tula come from the same breeder and she had them on Iams so we kept them on the same food as to not disrupt what they were used to. I know how to ween a kitty onto new food and I'm not worried about that. I guess my concern is this...is a raw diet more costly? I'm not broke by no means but I like to have a heads up prior to diving into something to ensure my financial success with it. I just need to do more reasearch I'm sure. Grinding up raw meat and bones and getting all the percentages right isn't calming to me either because I'm scared I'll mess it up and get my Snuffie sick or not have her diet right. Anyhow, I'm rambeling. You always have great info and I appreciate it!!!

gizmo6370

Banned
Dont you have in the US something like Carnibest or Bibi ?
Carnibest and Bibi are saugases with raw meat.....it's a complete meal....so you don't have to put anything in it....all what your cat need....is already in the sausage....bones...taurine..etc. etc.
You keep them in the freezer....and you can take out....any amount that you need on a day....:ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
Dont you have in the US something like Carnibest or Bibi ?
Carnibest and Bibi are saugases with raw meat.....it's a complete meal....so you don't have to put anything in it....all what your cat need....is already in the sausage....bones...taurine..etc. etc.
You keep them in the freezer....and you can take out....any amount that you need on a day....:ThumbsUp:

Yes, we have a lot of commercially made frozen raw pet foods here. Some of the popular brands are Nature's Variety, Primal, Bravo...but there are many, many more. And, like gizmo said, they are already ground up and nutritionally complete - no need to worry about adding supplements, grinding, or getting the measurements right. You just thaw out the portions and serve. Very easy!

J

Jinxlover

Blueberry can clear a room to, I just thought it was normal (she's my first cat) She is still on Iams from the breeder. I wanted her to settle in before I changed her.

Brooke

Banned
ok... so where can we get this Nature's Variety, Primal, Bravo etc? i'm still confused on what they even are.

Here are the store locators on their websites below (you can also read more about the products on these sites):

Nature's Variety

Primal

Bravo

There are lots of other brands, but these are the largest companies, and the most readily available. They are sold usually in smaller pet stores, the ones that carry higher-end foods, though I think some Petco's carry them, too. You buy them frozen, usually in nuggets or patties. I've used both Nature's Variety and Primal. When I got home with the bag, I would separate the servings into individual ziploc freezer baggies and then each night I would just take 2 baggies out of the freezer, put them into the fridge, and in the morning it would be thawed out and I'd just mash it up onto a plate for the cats. The second baggie of food would be thawed out for their evening meal, and then I'd take 2 more baggies out of the freezer for the next day... a very easy and convenient way to feed raw!

If I only had one cat, I'd still be doing it that way. I've only switched to making their food myself because of the price - it was just too expensive to feed 4 of them!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Awesome Brooke! Thank you for the quick links. Only one brand is local to me but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep you posted!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Jinxlover...Blueberry is gorgeous!!

I am also thinking of switching to raw. With everything that PittRottMommy and Brooke say, it sounds like the better way to go.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Ditto lemmysmommy....we all have a lot of time, love and money invested in our babies. I want mine at her full potential to give her the longest and happiest life ever! I hate to think that I may not currently be providing her the best diet and I look forward to trying out the pre packaged raw food. Having to make it myself was too scary. LOL

Brooke

Banned
Awesome Brooke! Thank you for the quick links. Only one brand is local to me but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep you posted!

You're very welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing how Snuffie does! Some kitties take to eating it right away and some are a little hesitant and need some coaxing, so come back for some tips if you need them. Even if it takes a bit of work in the beginning, believe me when I tell you - it's worth it!

Side note: Helen took a poop yesterday and I was so tempted to take a photo and post it here so everyone could see what a raw food poo looks like! :LOL: It was one for the photo album, I tell ya. :Hysterical:

tulababy2010

Lairian
freakin awesome... they sell them all really colse to me but one store sells all of them... going today... im stoked.. ill let u know how it goes!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Brooke

Banned
freakin awesome... they sell them all really colse to me but one store sells all of them... going today... im stoked.. ill let u know how it goes!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Very cool! Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Ok Brooke, you peeked my interest, What did it look like? I don't know if I should be scared or amused. lol

:LOL: You really wanna know, huh? Very small, dry and almost crumbly, and no smell. I actually swept it up with a mini broom and dustpan (Helen doesn't always go in the box, long story, still trying to figure out a solution) immediately after she went, and it didn't leave any "residue" on the floor or on the broom. Raw poo is the sh*t!! :ThumbsUp: :LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow - thats neat. Can't say I've ever experienced that with a kitty before. I'm excited to start Snuffie on her new food and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted for sure!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Side note: Helen took a poop yesterday and I was so tempted to take a photo and post it here so everyone could see what a raw food poo looks like! :LOL: It was one for the photo album, I tell ya. :Hysterical:

:LOL:
I just turned to Stella who was walking by me and said to her "You wanna see sphynx poo?!" She ran quickly in my direction. She probably thought I said "food". lol

Back