Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Questions about my new baby

BrittaniE

Lairian
This is my new baby :) she is 12 weeks old...I did all my research before purchasing my baby on what to do how to care for and she is doing great...but my breeder seemed kinda off because she said cats don't come with papers. Which is fine but she never mentioned having her fixed or breeding rights. I had saw the parents and they were sphynx and hairless like they should be but now mine at 14 weeks seem to have a peach fuzzy tail and ears compared to her body. Normal? Does she look like a normal sphynx you you all? She is beautiful to me and my love but what makes a perfect and beautiful sphynx?

Attachments

A1ycia

Lairian
Each sphynx will have a different level of hair.
One of my babies is completely hairless and feels like rubber. My other girl feels like suede fabric and has a completely fuzzy tail. They're both from the same parents though; genetics just works in different ways!

Kinda seems odd you didn't sign a contract or talk about breedings rights at all... but perhaps the parents didn't have papers.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My girl has peach fuzz on her whole body (just not her tummy and under her chin) and she is a pure sphynx. It's short, almost invisible and very soft, like velvet. She has it on her tail and ears too.
That's a bit odd that the breeder didn't have/give you any documentation: registration papers or vet records. Do you know what vet the breeder used? You could probably call them and get some information.
If you ask the breeder questions does she answer? Maybe you just need to bluntly ask? Still odd that you'd have to ask though.
Someone else can probably be of more help and have more suggestions and information :) regardless your girl stunning!

BrittaniE

Lairian
Each sphynx will have a different level of hair.
One of my babies is completely hairless and feels like rubber. My other girl feels like suede fabric and has a completely fuzzy tail. They're both from the same parents though; genetics just works in different ways!

Kinda seems odd you didn't sign a contract or talk about breedings rights at all... but perhaps the parents didn't have papers.
Yeah I thought it was odd as well....she said that they didn't have papers but I thought man for $1200 shouldn't they? But it was fine I have always wanted one she did come with a health Guarantee and had vaccines done but I love her anyway :) her body is more like rubber and tail is more like suede how can you tell good genes or good coloring.

BrittaniE

Lairian
My girl has peach fuzz on her whole body (just not her tummy and under her chin) and she is a pure sphynx. It's short, almost invisible and very soft, like velvet. She has it on her tail and ears too.
That's a bit odd that the breeder didn't have/give you any documentation: registration papers or vet records. Do you know what vet the breeder used? You could probably call them and get some information.
If you ask the breeder questions does she answer? Maybe you just need to bluntly ask? Still odd that you'd have to ask though.
Someone else can probably be of more help and have more suggestions and information :) regardless your girl stunning!
She had vet docs and a health Guarantee and she does answer my questions when I ask but maybe I just don't know the right questions to ask? All I know is her male and female don't have papers i wonder why is that?

A1ycia

Lairian
I'm still waiting on papers for one of my cats... (some mix up happened where I got someone else's papers and they got mine..? ) so I guess she's unregistered until then; I paid quite a bit more though.

The main thing I look for in the adults is that they're healthy, that the parents have been tested for everything (including HCM). The other main thing I look at is their personality; just as every person has a different personality every cat does; but I would like to think they get some of their personality traits from their parents.

As for looks and color every person has their own personal preference. Both of mine are polar opposites. The main thing that matters at the end of the day is you're happy with your kitten. :) not everyone thinks my cats are cute and I've accepted that. But I love hem to death!

Attachments

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
At least you have those :)
I'm not sure why they wouldn't have papers, but I'm sure someone else here could have some sort of idea. @Yoda mom do you have any ideas?

BrittaniE

Lairian
I'm still waiting on papers for one of my cats... (some mix up happened where I got someone else's papers and they got mine..? ) so I guess she's unregistered until then; I paid quite a bit more though.

The main thing I look for in the adults is that they're healthy, that the parents have been tested for everything (including HCM). The other main thing I look at is their personality; just as every person has a different personality every cat does; but I would like to think they get some of their personality traits from their parents.

As for looks and color every person has their own personal preference. Both of mine are polar opposites. The main thing that matters at the end of the day is you're happy with your kitten. :) not everyone thinks my cats are cute and I've accepted that. But I love hem to death!
I think yours are adorable! What color would mine be? Her markings are getting more bold every day I love it!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She is a Sphynx and beautiful.
Reputable Breeder's, always, give you paper's.
To register your cat. The contact you get will guarantee
against certain diseases, HCM especially.They, will scan the breeder's for HCM. You will know, if they, are spayed or Nutered when, you get them.
Or you have to get it done. I would find out if she is spayed.
Here is a link that will help you.
What to expect from a responsible sphynx breeder

BrittaniE

Lairian
She is a Sphynx and beautiful.
Reputable Breeder's, always, give you paper's.
To register your cat. The contact you get will guarantee
against certain diseases, HCM especially.They, will scan the breeder's for HCM. You will know, if they, are spayed or Nutered when, you get them.
Or you have to get it done. I would find out if she is spayed.
Here is a link that will help you.
What to expect from a responsible sphynx breeder
She isn't spayed:( but I'm going to have her spayed I don't want to reproduce I don't know what I am doing...although the thought is nice so I dont have to spend another 1200 on another one later but I just want her:) what color would she be?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome. Your baby is adorable. Here is some info on the degree of hairlessness you might find helpful. As far as not having papers, if the parents are not CFA or TICA registered, then your baby cannot be, meaning they will not have papers as well. Unregistered kittens typically are sold for less than registered kittens. My sphynx cat is hairy and fuzzy! Why?

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@BrittaniE , welcome to the lair family! She is precious :) looking forward to pics and tales!

Did you decide a name!?

Love the baby kitty pic - yes she has personality! Adorable together :)

Good advice given about papers.
I would nicely directly ask her to be honest about the papers.
Sent papers to someone else mix up seems odd to me personally.
If the parents aren't registered the kittens are not.
I waited for papers for my first sphynx and they never came.
(In my heart I knew they weren't ever coming )
My first sphynx was a surprise gift - my fiancé never ask for a contract and papers were in the mail he said .
I had no recourse and just moved on - papers weren't going to make me love her more or less-
He also was told he got a "deal" - under a thousand. I called the breeder - she never did mail the alleged papers.

Do you have a written contract?
Most breeders I know keep all kitty paper work in a file system or 3 ring binder with sleeve protectors of paperwork , records,.

Keep us updated amd share lots of pics!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@BrittaniE Welcome to sphynxlair. What's your girls name?
She's gorgeous and a perfect sphynx! Sphynx all do have a different degree of fuzz. I have three sphynxes. My boy Ross I hairless, doesn't have a fluff of hair. My boy Toa has some soft peach fuzz on his body (you can't see it but you feel it when you touch him) and some fuzz on his nose and ears. My girl Jade has a hairless body but has some hair on her tail, in the winter more then in summer. All three are perfect if you ask me.

Natasja

BrittaniE

Lairian
@BrittaniE Welcome to sphynxlair. What's your girls name?
She's gorgeous and a perfect sphynx! Sphynx all do have a different degree of fuzz. I have three sphynxes. My boy Ross I hairless, doesn't have a fluff of hair. My boy Toa has some soft peach fuzz on his body (you can't see it but you feel it when you touch him) and some fuzz on his nose and ears. My girl Jade has a hairless body but has some hair on her tail, in the winter more then in summer. All three are perfect if you ask me.

Natasja
She is so amazing I love her so much...my husband named her Dobby but it completely fits her

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@BrittaniE Look at that huge smile on Olivia's face and Dobby laying on her lap so relaxed. What an adorable couple!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She isn't spayed:( but I'm going to have her spayed I don't want to reproduce I don't know what I am doing...although the thought is nice so I dont have to spend another 1200 on another one later but I just want her:) what color would she be?
As it's been mentioned, when, the parents aren't registered
the kittens of course can't be. But, $1200.00 is a little much
for a unregistered kitten. But, she's beautiful and by Grace
She will be a healthy and live a long life. Being registered
Won't make make her any better or healthier.

BrittaniE

Lairian
@BrittaniE Look at that huge smile on Olivia's face and Dobby laying on her lap so relaxed. What an adorable couple!
Every morning that is what they do Olivia comes and gets her out of my bed and carry her to the couch and watches cartoons woth a blanket untill they both fully wake up lol

BrittaniE

Lairian

As it's been mentioned, when, the parents aren't registered
the kittens of course can't be. But, $1200.00 is a little much
for a unregistered kitten. But, she's beautiful and by Grace
She will be a healthy and live a long life. Being registered
Won't make make her any better or healthier.
That is so true! What should I have the vet check for?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well, take a poop sample, fresh, when you go.
They can check rectal, listed to heart to see if they hear
a murmur, check teeth, eyes. Listen to lungs, stomach.
If you notice anything that doesn't seem right tell the Vet.
It's common to them to get a URI when, they go to a new home.
But not all do. Mine didn't. Check the skin. Ears, mouth.
These are the main things.