Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Questions about Sphynx cat personality--any help appreciated!

ALD2K

Lairian
Hello SphynxLair. :)

I just lost my cat Luigi who was basically the "loaf" of my life. Before him I have had (and have) many "normal" cats with fur, so while I am an experienced cat mom I'm not experienced with Sphynxes beyond Luigi. I "inherited" Luigi from my brother who was his original dad.

Anyway, the wound is still very fresh for me so I am not yet ready to get another cat but I was wondering if all Sphynxes are like Luigi.

For example, he loved taking baths. He loved getting rubbed with his shampoo and would purr and purr.

He loved laying under blankets.

He slept on me every night and even tucked himself in like a little person! He would "find his comf" and just plop onto his side like a little human. It was the cutest thing.

Every time I sat, he would come up and sit on my lap or he would lie against me and let me cup his cute little butt in my hands and rest his head on my chest. :)

I know Sphynxes are all supposed to be very friendly, but I am just wondering if I get another one would they (generally) have the same or similar traits?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have had 3 sphynxies .. My first was honestly the other half of my soul and I still feel her loss 4 years later.

While my girls are amazing and I love them beyond words they do not have quite the same "aura" as my Skully.

They like baths and want to curl up and sleep with me, sit and watch tv with me, follow me around everywhere .. there is still that difference. I can't tell you what it is or why. I just know that they aren't Skully. That's not to say that they aren't perfect little sphynxies; they are! I'm just trying to say that you clearly had a magical bond with Luigi and you can't hold another kitten to his standards.

Elfie came to me as a rescue about 3mths after I lost Skulls and I have a very different bond with her. She needed me as much as I needed her. I was broken from my loss and she was broken from abuse and we helped one another heal and grow. For that she is incredibly special to me .. but there will never be anyone quite like Skully.

I am sorry you have to feel this loss and I hope you find another baby to help you heal and move forward.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have 3 sphynxies now, and they share many traits as you're beloved Luigi. While mine don't love baths, they will tolerate them. One of mine will even play with the bubbles or mechanical fish I put in the water.

All 3 of mine love blanket caves, I make one for them everyday in the living room when I leave for work.

Our first sphynx, Yoda, definitely has a special bond with my boyfriend. I think Yoda and him are soulmates. He loves to rub his face all over Ryan's, and just sit on his chest at night and watch TV.

My newest rescue girl, Raven, is literally my velcro kitty. She will follow me everywhere, chirp at me when she wants attention (all the time) and just loves to be with me/on me. The second I sit down she will jump up on me purring.

Every sphynx will have their own little personality, but I feel like you could definitely find another with the same/similar traits. {}

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ALD2K ((((((squeeze hugs)))
imho , There is always that “heart “ kitty
I truly believe they send us the one to love like they knew in this world

I was beyond devastated losimg my first sphynx Yoda girl to seizures . I still choke up -
I had to take the pain so she didn’t have to , to give her wings to fly pain free and whole .

by far the sphynx lair community was the most truly understanding and supportive during my loss as well as my Gotchas she sent me -

I had made memorial picture clock to remind me of the best of Times amd for her to let me know when it was time for her to send me the one to love - there is no time frame or wait time set to share sphynx love in their honor

There is nothing like sphynx love
each has their own personality that steals our hearts

Ironically the girl she sent me has sooo many of the same habits lots like a part of her is right there
She knew my heart was hurting and sent me 4 adoptees all within a few months
One boy even with the same name!

They are all adult adoptees - I was worried too about personalities , similarities etc
I found them just as cuddly amd Velcro as if I had them from kittens

But They do not like spa day !
each has their own sphynx personality that stole my heart
Just as Velcro fun loving as my first
when they cuddle with me I gently stroke them thanking her for sending me the one(s)

Luigi was an amazing boy loved beyond measure
he touched our hearts forever too - he helped sooo many members and kitties here too
Bless you

Toa and Ross

Staff member
You'll feel when you're ready for a new sphynx. It's never too soon or too late when you let your heart speak. I've had 4 sphynxes and although they're all different they have in common that they know the way to get into my heart. Each on their own way. And I love them each on their own way.
A new sphynx will not be like Luigi. But he or she will give you lots of love and joy when you're ready

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm just so sad! :(

Of course you are.
It takes time; and you'll know when it's time to open your heart again. I believe with my whole heart that our lost babies help guild us to what we need next.

ALD2K

Lairian
It's so funny in a way because my first cat ever (his name was Tabby--very original, I know. lol) had some very interesting and endearing quirks! And then we got another cat, Rocco, and he was like the personality double of Tabby. My mom always said Tabby sent him to us. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Big sigh...I know how hard it is. We have lost 2 nakeds and one was my heart cat. Then a 20 year old Bengal that was my hubby’s heart cat. My heart cat made me fall in love with this breed and made such a mark on my heart that I will forever be an ambassador of the breed. We see many members come and go in the community...because it can some times feel repetitive sharing and resharing info some get bored but for me...I hope that each and every member that joins is supported and gets to feel the same excitement...with their first baby, second baby or 10th baby. When we have lost our cats, we never looked at it as replacing them...we looked at new babies as additions. New excitement, new personalities and we simply allowed ourselves to open our hearts to love again. Our additions have healed our hearts and if you feel you can give that love again just allow yourself to do it. I’d like to think Luigi is telling you to love another baby like he was loved. Don’t compare...just open up your heart and spoil yourself and a baby again. @ALD2K

Last edited:

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sadness is to be expected. It would be weird if you weren’t! It just speaks to how close you two were. A beautiful relationship.

Take your time grieving. You will know when the time is right to bring another kitty into your life. The amount of time is different for everyone. It took be a little over a year after losing my childhood dog before I was ready for another pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro