Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Questions about the Berries..

J

Jinxlover

They are getting bigger and I have no clue how to take care of kittens.LOL..

My first question is about Blueberry
..When is she going to come back into heat?? I have been told she will come in when the kittens are 3-4 weeks old(they are 3 weeks now) and I have been told she will not come in as long as the babies are nursing?? Both of these come from people that know nothing:LOL:. Part 2 of question== When can I spay her?? Do I have to hold off tell the kittens are done nursing???

Now the Berries(they are 3 weeks old today)
#1 When can I start giving the kittens a bath.. They are nasty dirty little grubs. (maybe just a warm wash cloth for now)
#2 When do I put a litter box down for them? Boo has a big one in there but the babies will never get in it.
#3 When and what do I start feeding them?
#4 When do I get the kittens fixed?
#5 when do I give them there first shot.. The vet told me to bring them in at 6 weeks for there first one,that sounded kind of young to me.

Thanks.. (told you I didn't know how to take care of them:LOL:)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can start wiping them down with baby wipes now.
She can come into heat even when she is nursing.
I would not alter her until her milk goes down.
It is more complicated when they have milk.
At 4 weeks you can give them a little food.
I would wait until the are at least 3.1 pounds or at least 3 months old before you alter them.
I would do the shots at 8 weeks and the rabies at 4 months.
Do not give the fip or the leukemia shots.
I would do the Purvax shots since they are safer.
That is what my sphynxs get.

Annelies

Lairian
I know that my breeder started bathing Smeagol and his brother when they were about 6 - 8 weeks old. She always started bathing the kittens at 6 - 8 weeks, she says. So they get used to it.

When do we get a photo-update?

:BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

..When is she going to come back into heat?? I have been told she will come in when the kittens are 3-4 weeks old(they are 3 weeks now) and I have been told she will not come in as long as the babies are nursing?? Both of these come from people that know nothing:LOL:. Part 2 of question== When can I spay her?? Do I have to hold off tell the kittens are done nursing???

#1 When can I start giving the kittens a bath.. They are nasty dirty little grubs. (maybe just a warm wash cloth for now)
#2 When do I put a litter box down for them? Boo has a big one in there but the babies will never get in it.
#5 when do I give them there first shot.. The vet told me to bring them in at 6 weeks for there first one,that sounded kind of young to me.

Yes I would wait until all the milk is gone to spay her, Athena does not go into heat until they stop and then it is crazy:Hysterical:
Talk to your vet about having the babies fixed, mine will not do it until they are 6 months old, because of health concerns it can cause. Some vets that work with shelters and such will do it at 3lbs.

You can start wiping them down, but I hold off on the bath until about 5 or 6 weeks of age.
Mom should be eating kitten food while nursing so the babies should start taking a interest in the food at 4 to 5 weeks, and eating regularly at 5 to 6 weeks.
After they start eating you will have to show them the litter box or you will have a mess, mommy kitty will not clean up food poop. I do one at a time until they go potty start with a clean box and I sit with the kitten and put them in and scratch the litter with your hand and then their paw if they jump out of the box put them back in. Some get it in 5 minutes some in 5 hours:Sweat: but don't worry they will get it.
I would visit the vet at 8 wks and then I wait till just about 12 wks to take them back for a check up and distemper vaccine. You also need to de-worm them all including mommy after a litter. Worms lay dormant and having babies can bring them back so I always do this just in case so I know it will not be a problem, I have never had any worms and I don't want to start.
You are doing great taking care of them and it is great that this happened to be your pick.

J

Jinxlover

I do one at a time until they go potty start with a clean box and I sit with the kitten and put them in and scratch the litter with your hand and then their paw if they jump out of the box put them back in. Some get it in 5 minutes some in 5 hours:Sweat: but don't worry they will get it.

WHY am I doing that:Surprise:...I thought there momma would teach them that.. It's a good thing you told me. They would have been pooping all over and I would have been wondering why Blueberry was slacking off :LOL::LOL:..

gizmo6370

Banned

Okay....she can go in heat when the kittens are 3 or 4 weeks old....
I would wait with the spaying of Blueberry a few weeks after the kittens have moved away...because you don't want to stress her out....of everything what is going on in her life at that point....give her some time....

Bath time from 5 or 6 weeks old....
Solid food around 4 and a half weeks old...then you have to put down a litterbox for the little ones...and have them potty trained = )
Kittens can be spayed around 12 weeks old....
First shot 9 weeks....second one at 12 weeks
Deworm at 4....6...and 8 weeks....you have to deworm every pet in the household....dogs included....

Good luck:Smile:....you are doing just fine for so far :Wink:

susi794

Staff member
I've got nothing more to add, except that on occasion, I have bathed a kitten before 5 to 6 weeks when they were extremely dirty...I don't have good luck with wipes--Boo gets a contact allergy and they don't really get anybody clean here--have used the ones for babies and also the ones for pets. I do use them for toenail cleaning though.

Back