Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Questions from new worried mama

byulbunny

Lairian
Hey everybody! Loki has been here nearly a week now and he's just a bundle of joy. He's so sweet, cuddly and affectionate - even snuggles up to me under the blankets!

I have some questions though as a worried first-time mother - gnawing little things that have been bothering me. With that said, I have booked him for a checkup this coming Sunday, but wished to stop here too for more sphynx-specific advice.

Do note, he's a bambino (I know some do not agree with this breed, please don't bring negativity to me if this is so).

Questions!

1. He keeps shaking/flicking his paws. All of them. Not necessarily at the same time but at random intervals. At first I thought it was bits of litter being stuck (which is definitely sometimes the case) but it seems to be too often. Might something be wrong with his little legs?

2. When I pick him up sometimes he appears out of breath or like he might be struggling - there's no signs of distress and he doesn't struggle or the likes. Just can't help but feel concerned.

3. What is the best way to go about cleaning the inside of his ears & his face? They're quite mucky!

4. He'll let me know (aka move/leave) if he gets too hot in bed with me, right? He's such a hot pudding sometimes!

5. He purrs all the time - the moment I touch him/pet him/give him attention he's just a purry ball of "Give me more, mama". He seriously loves attention and buffing into my hand and arm and often "mrrts" to get my attention. He was like this immediately upon arrival. Is this a good thing?

Sorry for the huge post. Time for pictures!

Have a wonderful weekend xo

Attachments

• 20211105_070411.jpg
    20211105_070411.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211105_070335.jpg
    20211105_070335.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211102_152711.jpg
    20211102_152711.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211102_000916.jpg
    20211102_000916.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 33

Yoda mom

Staff member
@byulbunny , all paws are family.. all nakids and furbabies too.. Loki is precious.
there is no negativity allowed in this group.

you can share videos here if you like so we can take a look.. also good to show vet on your appointment. always good for a wellness check. as a routine I ask vet to take a good listen to the heart .

what type of litter do you use? some stick more than others.
any sneezing? etc?

I use cotton face cloths to wipe faces. there are some videos in the help center on ear cleaning. members in your area can chime in with product info.
always good for a wellness check for peace of mind. I remember when I was a new mum... we are here for you!

tagging @Sheldon13 , @Catzzzmeow , with kitten experience.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
1). I have hardwood floors in my house. During the cooler months my kitty flicks her paws too. I always think it is because the floor is cold on her toe beans.
3). I use a wet facecloth for her face and qtips in her ears.
4). If my kitty gets too hot she sticks her legs out of the blankets.
5). It definitely is a good thing to have an affectionate cat!

Your kitty is cute. I don’t think you will get negative comments on this site. We all love Sphynx kitties here! But guaranteed you will get at least one negative comment from guests in your home. My cousins wife actually gags when she sees my kitty. I have a daughter-in-law who won’t even touch my kitty. I figure it’s their loss!

byulbunny

Lairian
@byulbunny , all paws are family.. all nakids and furbabies too.. Loki is precious.
there is no negativity allowed in this group.

you can share videos here if you like so we can take a look.. also good to show vet on your appointment. always good for a wellness check. as a routine I ask vet to take a good listen to the heart .

what type of litter do you use? some stick more than others.
any sneezing? etc?

I use cotton face cloths to wipe faces. there are some videos in the help center on ear cleaning. members in your area can chime in with product info.
always good for a wellness check for peace of mind. I remember when I was a new mum... we are here for you!

tagging @Sheldon13 , @Catzzzmeow , with kitten experience.
I'm really glad to hear this! ♡ and thanks so much for the kind reply

I'll try to catch a video clip of him doing it and upload when I'm able! It might be something and nothing but I'm definitely glad I made him an appointment - get him all checked out. Will mention to give his heart a good listen too, thanks!

No sneezing etc - I'm using tigerino natural clay clumping litter. I'll probably change it after this weekend as he definitely isn't a fan of the little bits getting in-between his paws (I've noticed they obviously stick around long enough to end up tossed around the bed lol)

I actually just watched that video! Was really super helpful and looks so much less invasive than only using cotton buds. My local pet shop thankfully sells epiotic online so it's good to know how to use it in other ways as opposed to dropping it in the ear itself. Much prefer the cotton ball method

Thanks so much ♡♡♡

Yoda mom

Staff member
@byulbunny , we are here for you... sharing when I wet the cotton rounds ( I actually use the flat 100% cotton cosmetic rounds and give a good squeeze before wiping ears out and hold head back a little while they are on my lap as to not let it drip near the eyes). epi otic is popular in group. I use trizultra w/keto my vet got me hooked on over a decade ago . you will get in a routine in no time! keep us updated! hugs n head smooches

Back