Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Questions

DrJRobinson

Lairian
So, my kittens are fourteen weeks old now. They are brother and sister. I'm concerned about their playing. This is my first time owning cats, so I don't know what to consider normal. They "play" constantly, and it looks so rough. They both have scratches all over their bodies. I attempt to separate them occasionally, but they will cry until I reunite them. Whenever they are not "playing" or eating, they are curled up together sleeping. I presume they enjoy each others' company. Is there "playing" normal?

My second question concerns feeding. The breeder advised me to be careful of overfeeding. At first, I gave the recommended amount of food and distributed it three times daily. However, they seemed to be starving because they would constantly cry whenever I would go in the kitchen and would not stop until I gave them something more to eat. A few days ago, I purchased bulk feeders for food and water. I do notice they have been eating more than what I had been feeding them, but their begging has decreased significantly. Should I allow them to eat as much as they want?

Lastly, is it wrong to feed my cats small bites of what I am eating? They seem to really like sweets, and I have been weak in allowing them to lick the last bite of my desert.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your kittens playing sounds perfectly normal. That's Mother Nature's way of preparing them to hunt and defend themselves. It will diminish when they enter adulthood but expect them to continue doing it to some extent for the rest of their lives.

I don't agree with limiting food for a kitten. They have huge food requirements to fuel their growing bodies. I've seen many fat adults but never a fat kitten. Let them eat as much as they want. If they have weight issues as adults then you can consider controlling their intake at that time.

They say that cats don't have tastebuds for sweetness but I'm not sure cats agree with that. But do avoid chocolate because that's a known poison. FYI, Pedda has to stamp everything on my plate with her Seal of Approval before I'm allowed to eat.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a cat (most of the time) can't eat too much for the first 8 months or so, after that you evaluate food vs weight -- the measured amounts are a guideline.

are far as scratching, kittens have little paws full of razors, I'd recommend trimming the nails. Let them fight, it's how they learn what is too rough of play.

giving occasional treats is fine, but I would recommend always placing any treats in a specific spot. that way the kitties don't get taught to 'demand' food -- I'd hate it if my guys tried to steal my popcorn when I'm on the couch!

LadyZephyr

Lairian
I think the rough play is completely normal, I only have one sphynx kitty at the minute so any of my exposed flesh gets a good raking when it's 'Happy Hour' at our place, bloody scratches and all (which I'm trying to discourage but is proving difficult). At least they're roughousing with each other and not your hands and feet, we trim Bluebelle's claws every week to minimise the damage to our skin so I'm guessing you could do the same for your little ones so they dont damage each other. We're getting our second baby in 3 weeks or so and I'm lookin forward to the break from broken skin lol Rather each other than you :) and about the eating, our little one eats like a proper piggy, 4 meals a day or so and I'm not talkin small portions of wet food either and she still tries to dive head first into our plates, she doesnt seem like she's getting fat so I reckon it's ok :) Plus isn't it true that Sphynx have higher metabolic rates than other cats to regulate their body tempurature due to lack of fur? I kinda keep that in mind when she's being a little piggy with food lol

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have always free fed my cats. I do not like getting early am wake up calls from them wanting food. Jack is getting a lil belly I have noticed but I do not plan on ever stopping free feeding them unless their bellies drag on the ground. They were out of food yesterday and I knew the second I got home because they would not leave me alone and were being super annoying. I would avoid feeding them off your plate as then they will think they can just help themselves. I have a huge problem with food theives and I lock them in a seperate room at meal times because of it.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello DrJ, am so glad to hear that your kitties are settling in and as with any new parent you are worried about them, it shows that they are loved:ThumbsUp:

I have 3 kittens right now, and they tear through the house and attack each other and play like hellions! It's healthy and normal, accidents can happen such as a scratched eye, but it's like your mom saying "Don't play too rough or you'll put your eye out!" kids will be kids and kittens will be kittens. Enjoy their antics, and if it seems too rough to you there is no harm in breaking them up at times. But be warned they may turn on you, and then you will bear the wrath of kitten play! lol

I free feed my cats, meaning I leave dry food out all the time and give wet food twice a day to the kittens. Gummi, my sphynx kitty will eat until her sides poke out! If you feel your babies are hungry feed em! I have never liked rigid schedules for feeding babies human or animal. As for licking your desserts~ almost all of us share with our kittens, but be careful of certain foods as was mentioned, and milk products like ice cream may cause upset tummies!

here are some pics of my kittens beating each other up!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are just being kittens.
Mine play rough also.
Sphynx kittens will not over eat.
They have high metabolism.
My cats like to steal cheetos for some reason.
I would not feed any milk or chocolate it is bad for cats.
Also sphynx cats will get hives and rashes easy from many foods.

Bella07

Banned
Their playing sounds completely normal! So, no worries there.

As to feeding, my take on it is when they are kittens, let them eat as much as they want. They are growing, they need food to nourish it. When they reach the 1 year old mark, then you can start watching how much they eat to make sure they are eating a healthy amount of food.

And I must warn you.....kittens grow up FAST! One minute they are cute little babies, and before you know it, they are all grown up. So enjoy their kittenhood while it lasts!

Add: I free feed my adult cats as well. They are ages 6 and 14. My 6 year old eats way too much food, and is a whopping 18 pounds. My 14 year old, eats until she is satisfied, and remains a healthy 7 pounds for her size. So, in my experience, some cats will over eat, while others eat what they need! Good Luck and Enjoy.

KushielsTart

Lairian
I free feed as well. I've found that if you are using a high protein food with no fillers, you won't have to worry about them gaining weight. We also give one can of wet food every day to two days. They seem to know how much food they need. As far as the fighting - one of these days you'll step on a tail or a paw under foot and hear real pain sounds compared to playing pain sounds. :Wink: We recently got a new kitten and my 7 year old female has lost over a pound just from all the play fighting with him. I think it's made her younger and happier than she's been in years.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying Ova and Scrote. Everyone has already given you wonderful advice. If you are not sure about how to go about clipping their nails (or cleaning ears or bathing for that matter), there are a few threads and videos here that may help.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The kitty-play time sounds normal and healthy to me. I have 2 females and 1 male. and sometimes i think my male is being soo rough and i break it up and then my female's tail is wagging away and she is still antagonizing him! so i just stopped breaking it up! haha. that's how they play. blood has been shed on rare occations in my house... but they still play like that. they're cats... they have nails... it happens.

As for the feeding, i have allowed my cats to free feed, and one of my girlys are "borderline obesses" oops :) but she's healthy. So i think i would suggest feeding times, opposed to free feed. I feed my cats once a day, i fill their bowls, about 1 cup per bowl/3 bowls. everyone has their own bowl. that food usually lasts until the next feeding. they're kittens, so you have to monitor. Ive always heard that a kitten and puppy will actually eat themselves to death- that is something to consider. while at the vet, talking about my fat-cat, she suggested 3/4cup of food per cat/per day. and that's for an adult cat.

As for table food, my cats LOVE table food, however, i only give moderation. and NEVER chocolate! my cats pretty much BEG for my dinner/dessert every night! and ya know what?-i give it to them! LOL- i probably am not the person to ask! lol. but you can give small bits of things.. yogurt is a great suppliment for cats if they want that sweet dessert taste. i also feed my cats canned pumpkin which they LOVE!! make sure that you feed is ok.. like vanilla ice cream, etc.. definitely no chocolate, grapes, and things like that.

i think everything is ok within moderation. be careful with over feeding though. they're just kittens.

Edit: i read everyone else's responses... i was basing my food experience off more adult cats. i leave food out all day the one cup per day, but my cats dont eat their whole cup.. usually some is left over.
i THOUGHT a kitten/puppy could over eat- but i'm going to assume i am wrong. there are many breeders on here.. and 2/3 of my cats were adults when i got them.

dont take my food advice LOL

Bella07

Banned
My one cat loves popcorn! If she smells me eating it, then she'll come down and beg for it. She never begs for anything, other than the popcorn. She loves it! I always bite the kernel off for her, just so I know she won't choke on it :) My other girl loves to lick meat, especially baked chicken and ham. If I eat cereal, they both love to lap up the milk leftover.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
both of mine love the popcorn -- I just can't have them sticking their nose in my bowl.

you could say I have food aggression:LOL:

I just make sure the kitties only get treats in their treat bowl so the don't even try taking them. The only exception is the hand-fed treats I give for training

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bronxe LOVES popcorn too!! he's like a crazy-man over it! he'll bite me if i dont give it to him!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it is important to add that you should avoid sugary treats...since you mentioned giving your cats some of your desert.
Cats get cavities just like people.
Now is a good time to get them used to brushing!
I also give Nofuratu nibbles off my plate, with the exception of chocolate, sugary foods.....large amounts of dairy are bad.....difficult to digest.........also foods with high onion/garlic amounts.
I know onion/garlic is toxic to dogs and have just asumed it is for cats as well.
So Nofuratu only gets a tiny lick of guacamole, because it has lots of garlic and he could eat a whole bowl if you let him.
Someone mentioned yogurt earlier, and he loves that too....the probiotic kind.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Found out this weekend that Snuffie LOVES popcorn!! This weekend was the first time ever that she got into the trash and come to find out she was eating left over out of the bag and licking up all the buttery goodness!!! lol Crazy cat!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree too, clip the claws once a week. I have dry food out all the time for all cats of all ages. Wet food and raw and cooked meats are served in the morning and at bedtime for the 4 month old Sphynx. I do not let my baby eat from my plate or offer food from my plate (Okay I fibbed). I try not to do it and when he begs I have cooked chicken that I get out for him and put it in his feeding spot so that my guests won't be bothered by a greedy guts cat. My sister's cat had diabetes. I don't want to go there with my baby. Enjoy your little wonders.:Smile::Smile::Smile: