Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

questions

kiki3898

Lairian
How long does it usuly take kittens to get use to there new home? And how long before leaving her by herself I just got her last nite and dont wont to leave her, I read they dont like to be by there self for long time, how long is to long? I dont work so it wouldnt be more then 4hrs, Im probly asking goofie questions but im doing it any way I havent had a baby in 12 hrs Thanks Linda

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The biggest advice I can offer is baby proof your home. Make sure any cords or shoe laces or anything your kitten can "get into" is put away.

As long as your kitten is over 12 to 16 weeks old I don't think leaving them for up to 4 hours would be an issue. These cats dont like to be left alone ..I know mine dont anyhow! Whenever possible I always take them with me. It helps to socialize them as well.

And no - your not asking crazy questions...rather be safe than sorry!!:Wink:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The biggest advice I can offer is baby proof your home. Make sure any cords or shoe laces or anything your kitten can "get into" is put away.

As long as your kitten is over 12 to 16 weeks old I don't think leaving them for up to 4 hours would be an issue. These cats dont like to be left alone ..I know mine dont anyhow! Whenever possible I always take them with me. It helps to socialize them as well.

And no - your not asking crazy questions...rather be safe than sorry!!:Wink:
What great advice!
My Nudie is 4 months now and it only took a few eeks for her to totally adjust (she owns the place now:LOL:) I don't work and take her with me everywhere-people love to see these guys! The more time I spend with Nudie the more she loves me and I love her.
P.S.- All questions are great questions in the lair

LLevenson

Lairian
the 3rd day after bringing Arias home I had to leave for a whole day (gone at 7am and back at 10pm) and my hubby was gone on business. I literally cried the night before b/c I was already so attached and was scared that Arias would get into some sort of trouble while I was gone and that I would come home to an injured/dead/frightened kitten (yes, I can be overly dramatic!). SO I obviously don't think you are asking silly questions!!

What I ended up doing was locking him in 1 room (our guest room that has the least amount of stuff/furniture/cords in it. I also had a friend come by mid-day to feed and play with him, but seeing as those you will only be gone 4 hours, you shouldn't need that. I put his toys, litter box, and water all in the room with him. baby proofing is great advice and I think containment is also good just so you know they aren't roaming around in a still unfamiliar home. Good luck!!

sphynxluvr

Lairian
I agree with everyone else. Baby PROOF!! Make sure you really baby proof a room and keep them in that room when youre out. Meanwhile when youre home, still make sure the house is baby proofed, but let them explore the rest of the house so that you can keep an eye on them. You will know when the time is right to leave them alone about the house.Have plenty of warm snuggly spots available for them to sleep in cause they will most likely be doing that the whole time you are gone!!! :LOL:
My kitties love BASKETS!! I have baskets all over the house in SUNNY SPOTS and secluded spots and they just love to cuddle in them. I also went and bought, very cheaply, fleece material remnants from walmart or any place that sells material. They are already cut and I just fit them into a basket and the kitties know just how to look absolutely adorable in them, and they are easy to clean. Bedtime is the best, if you are able too, let them get under the covers they make the best bedtime friends. Eventually you may find your sphynx telling you when "IT'S BEDTIME!!" MEOW.........
Enjoy every moment you can!! They are truly remarkable!!:Adore: