Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

questions

kiki3898

Lairian
Hi its been 5-6 days since I bathed Gracie and she is turning brown under her body and her faceand ears have a few brown sopts she is not greasie I tried a warm wash cloth and bath wipes but it didnt clean her the breeder I got her from said she doesnt get greasie and could go 2 wk for bath but shes dirty do u bath urs when they get dirty or wait till they get greasie I just dont wont to bath her to much and do u clip the back nails at same time u do front ones
ty Linda

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When wipes and warm cloths don't cut it the brown neck and pit marks, it means that a bath is around the corner. Since its already been 5-6 days, Gracie sounds like she will be needing another bath soon. I usually wait at least a week in between baths so as not to irritate or overdry my Sphynx's skin. Some weeks are better than others and you may be able to go for 2 weeks in between baths. I wipe off nails during bath time, and trim them every 2 weeks.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I normally give baths every 7 days(Friday). My older sphynx has a little bit of fuzzy and she is darker so the dirt is less noticeable. I'll usually let her go 2 weeks before bathing her but I still clean her ears weekly. My baby is less fuzzy and has more white/grey on her and the dirt shows after as little as 48 hrs. I always wait atleast 7 days tho. It looks dingy sometimes but it won't hurt her. I also always clean and trim nails after every bath. Its much easier to do at that time cuz you can wrap them in their towel and pull one foot out at a time.
You can also put a shirt on your sphynx and it will help to keep the elements off of them a little bit.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We bath once a week and we clip the nails first, yes front and back and also clean the ears then into the bath they go. Here a a few good Sphynxlair videos we made that i will share with you
P.s. we have a Sphynx shampoo we will be selling soon, it is held up on the labeling process. The company we use have problems with their program, it should be on the market shortly.

Replacement String:

also see here http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/clipping-your-sphynx-cat-nails-2361/

cleaning ears
Replacement String:

Last edited:

lawgrl

Lairian
kiki-are the brown spots just now turning up or did she turn brown in those spots right after (the next day) the last time you bathed her? Is the brown flaking off at all, or just kind of staying put? What kind of shampoo did you use when you bathed her last time?

I ask b/c when I first got Choppy I bathed him with shampoo that was too harsh for him and it gave him brown spots on his skin that eventually flaked off (the shampoo dried his skin out and it had to slough off to repair itself). I use a more gentle shampoo now and moisturize him afterward to keep his skin from getting too dry.

On the other hand, our other cat Twiggy just gets plain greasy/dirty between baths. She gets dirtiest in her "armpit" area and her belly. She seems to need a bath about every week (I put St. Ives Vitamin E lotion on her afterward to keep her skin from drying out). Babywipes don't really seem to cut her "grease" too much, so only a bath will get her really clean.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think there is something wrong with the nail clipping video. The cat is not crying, growling or hissing.:LOL::LOL:

Gizzymom

Banned
We bath once a week and we clip the nails first, yes front and back and also clean the ears then into the bath they go.

OMG!!! If I did all 3 to Gizmo in 1 day, he would kill me in my sleep!!!:LOL:

We do baths on Sundays, ears on Saturdays.... and nails as needed (approx every 2 weeks).... He is "OK" with baths and nails... gets VERY angry with ears:Angry:

I think you just have to see what routine works for you and your sphynx... I WISH I could get it all done in 1 day!

:ThumbsUp:

Back