Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Quirky waterbowl question.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
When I first got Snuffie I had the cutest food bowl and water bowl for her. Of course I quickly learned that the water dish was for looks only because it was just too tipsy topsy so I gave her a plain plastic food storage bowl. Not as cute as I wanted but whatever works! Anyhow, she has always nudged her water dish a little to get the water moving, I'm assuming to see it since its clear?!? But today she has topped it over 3 times and even knocked over her food dish a few times. Is she boycotting on me or going on strike? Any stories or suggestions or maybe she was just bored. Just wanted the gangs thoughts. Thanks!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Beltane, my furry 9 year old cat, has an annoying habit of splashing water with his paws several times a day. I don't even think it's when he drinks....the theory in our house is that he either likes the sound or the feeling of the splashing on his paws.
I don't know why they do the things they do!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Too funny because Athena just started doing the same thing and I thought it was because she is board in the bedroom with the babies all day.
I think I am going to get the fountain look sturdy and amusing? I think Brooke the gadget queen has one and loves it? :BigSmile:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Silly girl! No spills here (yet!).

I bought one of those water fountain drinking thingies and our cat with hair was drinking out of it properly (drinking at the top where the fresh water is coming from), but Stella was drinking in the bottom of the bowl where some dirt and hair from the hairy cat will collect prior to washing it. Not cool! I was using filtered water that was being filtered again, lol.

Brooke

Banned
Too funny because Athena just started doing the same thing and I thought it was because she is board in the bedroom with the babies all day.
I think I am going to get the fountain look sturdy and amusing? I think Brooke the gadget queen has one and loves it? :BigSmile:

I do have the fountain, and the cats love it! I started with the Petmate one but had to throw it away because it was noisy and then it broke and would leak water all over the place and then - funny you should mention this tonight - I just threw my Catit fountain away about 2 hours ago. It still works perfectly and is super quiet but it's impossible to clean. It's a weird shape, with all these bubbles formed into the plastic. I was scrubbing and scrubbing and got pissed at it and threw it in the trash. $50 sitting in the garbage can right now. :Angry: It had this nasty white scale on it that wouldn't come off. Now I'm going to buy a couple of the Petco ones for $17.99. They look like they'd be easy to wash!

susi794

Staff member
I bought another one of those after I clogged up the first one. Cleans like a dream, works well. Way better than the more expensive one I own and have sitting on my counter taken apart and unused.

tulababy2010

Lairian
my cats drink like cows... assuming that cows drink alot... lol.. i used to have a fountian and it was nice got it at petsmart don't remember the brand though... my hairy cats loved it but drank it up way too fast then it would make this horrible motor noise. you have to be sure to change the filter thing like it says to keep the water fresh... and sometimes they don't have the filters and boy is that freakin annoying! sooo... i have one of thouse things that u fill up every day and it refills as the cats drink!! and all 3 of mine love it! its cheap and fabulous... i got mine at walmart!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, my bengal is OBSSESSED with tipping over anything with water in, cups, glasses, bowls. Drives me in sane! I think she finds it funny. I got a water fountain which is impossible for her to knock over but she still plays in it! Puts toys in the water and then gets them back out.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thanks ladies for all your input. I'm going to try out one of the refillable 2 quart water fountains and see how it goes. Thanks again. No water spills today as of yet. I think I figured it out tho. I had taken her place mats up to clean them and she started her shinanigans. Today I layed them back down and she is happy. Why didnt she just say so????!!!! LOL

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, my bengal is OBSSESSED with tipping over anything with water in, cups, glasses, bowls. Drives me in sane! I think she finds it funny. I got a water fountain which is impossible for her to knock over but she still plays in it! Puts toys in the water and then gets them back out.

Lol, our hairy cat Izzy use to toss her colorful mice into the water dish. The water would turn a slight hint of the color of the mouse. :Dizzy:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I also had a Catit fountain and boy was it hard to clean. I have mine sitting in the garage. It was a PIA waste of money if you ask me. I am back to a regular bowl right now, but will check out the Petmate one that the others were talking about.

Brooke

Banned
I also had a Catit fountain and boy was it hard to clean. I have mine sitting in the garage. It was a PIA waste of money if you ask me. I am back to a regular bowl right now, but will check out the Petmate one that the others were talking about.

I had the Petmate fountain, too, and it broke and leaked all over the place. Apparently the $17.99 Petco one is the way to go. I just ordered it online, fingers crossed!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had the Petmate fountain, too, and it broke and leaked all over the place. Apparently the $17.99 Petco one is the way to go. I just ordered it online, fingers crossed!

Brooke, I purchased the $17.99 PetCo fountain for my kitties for Christmas and I like it a lot! It's easy to assemble and take apart to clean. It's not as quiet as I'd like but it works pretty good for as cheap as it was. All of my cats like to drink from it. :ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie hasn't played in her water since! lol It was totally the lack of her placemats missing but as soon as I dig myself out from the snow I'm going out and getting her a fountain. lol

Back