Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

rabies shot

BrownEyesRC

Lairian
Hello,

I am trying to decide if Baby Harley needs the Rabies shot or not? This is the only one left he has not received.
I was told at 17 weeks by my vet that he weighed to little (2lbs 11ozs) to get it because it would make him not feel so well afterwards.
Can any of you parents give me your two cents about rabies shots and our Sphynx babies?

Looking for a little more info before deciding.
Renea

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I HATE all shots!!!..But they are necessary...Most places it the law to give a rabies shot...

Bells had a rabies shot before Susi shipped him to me, then when I took him in to get neutered they gave him a 2nd rabies shot WITHOUT asking me:Angry::Angry:..I just flipped out!!..I hate giving one but TWO!!!.....I will not be back to that vet.....They even had his records and STILL gave him the shot......I still get miffed:Angry::Angry: every time I think about it...

Last edited:

BrownEyesRC

Lairian
I HATE all shots!!!..But they are necessary...Most places it the law to give a rabies shot...

Bells had a rabies shot before Susi shipped him to me, then then I took him in to get neutered they gave him a 2nd rabies shot WITHOUT asking me:Angry::Angry:..I just flipped out!!..I hate giving one but TWO!!!.....I will not be back to that vet.....They even had his records and STILL gave him the shot......I still get miffed:Angry::Angry: every time I think about it...
YIKES
Sorry, Didnt mean to get you upset. I would be upset too.
I just talked to our new vet in town, she said she could give him a steriod shot to help counter react the side effects of the rabies, Hmmmmmm. I am in a county that it is my decision, if I travel with him, which I plan on, he will need it. I just dont like making them feel bad.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just talked to our new vet in town, she said she could give him a steriod shot to help counter react the side effects of the rabies,
Geez.... why do vets throw steroids and antibiotics at these poor animals???? My vet used Benadryl on Spockie because we knew reacted badly to vaccines. I hated doing to him but it's the law (stupid!:Angry::Angry:). He was miserable for several days and the swelling(it was the exact pattern has the shot under the skin) that ensued on his upper thigh stayed there for 10 weeks. I emailed a Oncologist DVM who has done studies on Rabies Carcinomas and he suggested to get it surgically removed. By that time it had shrunk down to dime sz. I emailed pictures to my vet and on the next visit he agreed w/me no more shots for Spockie!:ThumbsUp:

BrownEyesRC

Lairian
Geez.... why do vets throw steroids and antibiotics at these poor animals???? My vet used Benadryl on Spockie because we knew reacted badly to vaccines. I hated doing to him but it's the law (stupid!:Angry::Angry:). He was miserable for several days and the swelling(it was the exact pattern has the shot under the skin) that ensued on his upper thigh stayed there for 10 weeks. I emailed a Oncologist DVM who has done studies on Rabies Carcinomas and he suggested to get it surgically removed. By that time it had shrunk down to dime sz. I emailed pictures to my vet and on the next visit he agreed w/me no more shots for Spockie!:ThumbsUp:
Ok, NOW I am more worried, I have an appointment the 15th to take Baby Harley into the new vet, should I rethink that? They (husband and wife) fresh out of vet school (grad May 2011) just got into town and opened this Tuesday. I can continue to take him to other vet (he has been once-my other felines (since passed of old age 17yrs) had been several times over the last 10 years), 43 miles one way, but they have seen 2 Sphynx total. New vet has treated a Sphynx for allergies before. So my Sphynx treating vets arent there really. Driving to the metromess would be to far and stressful I think, not to mention expensive.

What does the rabies usually do to them, being under 5lbs? If only the shot itself is giving?
With his last shot, he was lazy for a day, could tell he didnt feel to good, stayed in my lap. He was 17 weeks for this one.

Thank you,
Renea

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok, NOW I am more worried, I have an appointment the 15th to take Baby Harley into the new vet, should I rethink that? They (husband and wife) fresh out of vet school (grad May 2011) just got into town and opened this Tuesday. I can continue to take him to other vet (he has been once-my other felines (since passed of old age 17yrs) had been several times over the last 10 years), 43 miles one way, but they have seen 2 Sphynx total. New vet has treated a Sphynx for allergies before. So my Sphynx treating vets arent there really. Driving to the metromess would be to far and stressful I think, not to mention expensive.

What does the rabies usually do to them, being under 5lbs? If only the shot itself is giving?
With his last shot, he was lazy for a day, could tell he didnt feel to good, stayed in my lap. He was 17 weeks for this one.

Thank you,
Renea
Renea.... I'm sorry but I can't/won't give advice on whether to give vaccines or not. You have to educate yourself about them and then make the decision yourself. I do recommend that your kitten be healthy as Hell before any new vaccines are given. Build up his/her immunity system with L-Lysine for a few months if it were me. Here is an excellent paper from "National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, 2003 " and I've also uploaded a paper from a DVM... Hope this helps w/your dilemma!

Attachments

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We have to do rabies shots here because it is the law, that being said we have never had a problem with them. When Leo got his first one from the old vet that I hated he did get a large bump that lasted a while. By the time he and Athena where due for there booster we changed vets and I found one that we love, I asked him about the lump and he said it was the way the shot is given and what spot. He gave them both the shot with just a very small bump that lasted just a few days. If the person giving it is rough or uses a larger needle the bump will be larger.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, in the US, Rabies vaccines are mandatory by law, I believe in all states. The breeder took my Boone to the vet for his Rabies shot just before she shipped him to me. Its required before any animal can be flown on an airplane. I didn't find any lump on him @ all.:Smile:

BrownEyesRC

Lairian
My other felines never had issues with their shots in the 17yrs of their lives.
With reading all the issues of the Sphynx I have been concerned and wondered about it.
New breed to me and want what is Best for him.
Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you again,
Renea

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
I live in Idaho and we dont have to have rabies shots. I did to me male and femae but both had the lump under the skin for 7 months. I don't do the kittens. I leave it up to their new owners if they want to do it. If your cat never goes outside and never has other animals come in, there is no reason they need it. Less vacs the better with these babies.

bthomas

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I live in Idaho and we dont have to have rabies shots. I did to me male and femae but both had the lump under the skin for 7 months. I don't do the kittens. I leave it up to their new owners if they want to do it. If your cat never goes outside and never has other animals come in, there is no reason they need it. Less vacs the better with these babies.
What part of Idaho? I grew up in southeastern Idaho, and went to school in Boise. Just curious!

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I plan on first year shots and then just the rabies because it's mandatory..... every 3 years.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have to do rabies shots here because it is the law, that being said we have never had a problem with them. When Leo got his first one from the old vet that I hated he did get a large bump that lasted a while. By the time he and Athena where due for there booster we changed vets and I found one that we love, I asked him about the lump and he said it was the way the shot is given and what spot. He gave them both the shot with just a very small bump that lasted just a few days. If the person giving it is rough or uses a larger needle the bump will be larger.
Yes, it's the law and a very stupid one! Too many of our pedigree cats are getting Sarcoma's from them! So, to make the guardian feel better they are giving the rabies vaccine in the tail or lower on the right leg! If there is a Sarcoma develops so they can amputate either the tail or right leg! YIKES! ! :Angry: Stop the Madness!..... So that's the solution????

Respectfully Heather, your vet is not quite telling you the truth! When a lump appears it's because of a severe immune system reaction. Some cats and dogs can tolerate it, others don't and have been known to come down with cancer at the injection site! We have a new member that has a kitty who is going through this terrifying disease while her husband is deployed.

I palpitate Dr. Spock daily feeling for lumps!

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I plan on first year shots and then just the rabies because it's mandatory..... every 3 years.
Nikki,
I would rethink that notion of boosters... Please read some of the links I provided about boosters for any vaccines! Rabies vaccine stay in the animal for several years if not the life of the cat. There is no need for boosters of those either!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe some of my experiences/knowledge can help you. Im a retired vet tech, 13 yrs in the business and have been retired about 10 yrs now. Being out of the field a decade means I dont always have up to date info of course, and I am not saying my opinion is the correct one. Its just an opinion.

I think rabies shots are neccesary, but not as often as they are reccomended, and they should be given in a leg so if something happens it can be amputated.

Even house cats need a rabies shot because they can catch a pest within the home that carries rabies, or they may escape from the home and catch something while they are out. Also depending where you live, if your pet has a rabies vaccine, it helps protect them from being destroyed (legally) if they bite another pet or human and the law/spca gets involved. And, if we stop vaccinating for a certain disease, then it is likely to come back again into the population.

I have had phonecalls/visits with panicked owners when their unvaccinated pet catches a wild animal...and the owners are flipping out worrying about their pet, and/or their human children sleeping with that pet. Ive dealt with owners who have had their pets bite a neighbor and have to deal with the legal repercussions of their pet never being vaccinated. Usually though, it just means the pet is under house arrest for a month, in our area, but some communities have strict laws. Ive also had to deal with owners that dont believe in vaccines, who bring in a pet on deaths door with distemper (feline) or parvovirus (canine) that could have prevented with a vaccine, and that upsets me. I have never experienced a pet with rabies in 13 yrs though, but I believe thats because we vaccinate for that the most.

I have seen some animals get flulike symptoms from their rabies shot, not too badly or too often. Ive never experienced any vaccine induced sarcomas. So it doesnt happen often, and i think the benefit outweighs the risk (not enough to vaccinate over and over though).

That being said, I dont think animals should be vaccinated every year, or even every 3 yrs against rabies. I was vaccinated for rabies around age 18 and only recieved one shot, instead of the 2 or 3 required because I went into anyphlactic shock. Every year for 10 yrs I had my rabies titre checked (blood test) and my vaccine levels were well within acceptable range. Of course every animal immune system is different by my experience of 1 shot lasting a minimum of a decade, leads me to believe we are overvaccinating our pets! I know lots of people in vet medicine that have acceptible rabies titres, 20 yrs after their initial shots.

So I tell people get the initial puppy/kitten shot of rabies, which can not be done sooner than 16 wks of age. Then maybe consider a 2nd booster the next year, and after that think about doing it less often or not again. I even think the 3 yr rabies vaccine is overkill. Some vets are now looking into testing your pets blood titres instead of just vaccinating annually, and I think that is fabulous.

Also you mentioned you have an older experienced vet, and some newer vets. Im a big fan of recent graduates, simply because they have the latest info on everything. Experience is good, but Ive also worked with a lot of "old school" vets stuck in their ways who use drugs that are now proven to be bad, or they dont beleive in pain control etc....If you go to a clinic that has both older vets and new grads I think that is ideal because they both learn from eachother. But otherwise I like new grads, and usually they are humble enough to know when to ask for assistance from other vets, and they know all the new safer procedures/protocols.

So in short, vaccines, including rabies are important and should be given, but precautions should be taken, and we are definetely overvaccinating after initial puppy kitten shots. Of course you should keep researching and form your own opinion. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Nikki,
I would rethink that notion of boosters... Please read some of the links I provided about boosters for any vaccines! Rabies vaccine stay in the animal for several years if not the life of the cat. There is no need for boosters of those either!

I know..... but it is mandatoryt:Angry: but thanks for the info

BrownEyesRC

Lairian
Maybe some of my experiences/knowledge can help you. Im a retired vet tech, 13 yrs in the business and have been retired about 10 yrs now. Being out of the field a decade means I dont always have up to date info of course, and I am not saying my opinion is the correct one. Its just an opinion.

I think rabies shots are neccesary, but not as often as they are reccomended, and they should be given in a leg so if something happens it can be amputated.

Even house cats need a rabies shot because they can catch a pest within the home that carries rabies, or they may escape from the home and catch something while they are out. Also depending where you live, if your pet has a rabies vaccine, it helps protect them from being destroyed (legally) if they bite another pet or human and the law/spca gets involved. And, if we stop vaccinating for a certain disease, then it is likely to come back again into the population.

I have had phonecalls/visits with panicked owners when their unvaccinated pet catches a wild animal...and the owners are flipping out worrying about their pet, and/or their human children sleeping with that pet. Ive dealt with owners who have had their pets bite a neighbor and have to deal with the legal repercussions of their pet never being vaccinated. Usually though, it just means the pet is under house arrest for a month, in our area, but some communities have strict laws. Ive also had to deal with owners that dont believe in vaccines, who bring in a pet on deaths door with distemper (feline) or parvovirus (canine) that could have prevented with a vaccine, and that upsets me. I have never experienced a pet with rabies in 13 yrs though, but I believe thats because we vaccinate for that the most.

I have seen some animals get flulike symptoms from their rabies shot, not too badly or too often. Ive never experienced any vaccine induced sarcomas. So it doesnt happen often, and i think the benefit outweighs the risk (not enough to vaccinate over and over though).

That being said, I dont think animals should be vaccinated every year, or even every 3 yrs against rabies. I was vaccinated for rabies around age 18 and only recieved one shot, instead of the 2 or 3 required because I went into anyphlactic shock. Every year for 10 yrs I had my rabies titre checked (blood test) and my vaccine levels were well within acceptable range. Of course every animal immune system is different by my experience of 1 shot lasting a minimum of a decade, leads me to believe we are overvaccinating our pets! I know lots of people in vet medicine that have acceptible rabies titres, 20 yrs after their initial shots.

So I tell people get the initial puppy/kitten shot of rabies, which can not be done sooner than 16 wks of age. Then maybe consider a 2nd booster the next year, and after that think about doing it less often or not again. I even think the 3 yr rabies vaccine is overkill. Some vets are now looking into testing your pets blood titres instead of just vaccinating annually, and I think that is fabulous.

Also you mentioned you have an older experienced vet, and some newer vets. Im a big fan of recent graduates, simply because they have the latest info on everything. Experience is good, but Ive also worked with a lot of "old school" vets stuck in their ways who use drugs that are now proven to be bad, or they dont beleive in pain control etc....If you go to a clinic that has both older vets and new grads I think that is ideal because they both learn from eachother. But otherwise I like new grads, and usually they are humble enough to know when to ask for assistance from other vets, and they know all the new safer procedures/protocols.

So in short, vaccines, including rabies are important and should be given, but precautions should be taken, and we are definetely overvaccinating after initial puppy kitten shots. Of course you should keep researching and form your own opinion. Hope this helps.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Thank you so much

I am going to the Two Newly Graduated Vets the 15th, to see if I like them and have them check Harley out. He has already been to the experienced (only 2 Sphynx seen) vet in another town to get his first checkup and shots. If I like them, then we will go from there. All he likes his the Rabies shot. I am thinking without the steriods, as the steriods would be another unnes injection that could cause issues.

Our county does not require rabies shots for indoor animals, it is up to the owners.
I live on acrage and would like for Harley to go outside with me ONLY, and feel he should have it just in case something were to happen. And I want to take him with me traveling. I just worry about him becoming ill from the shot being so small. We will weigh him and go from there on the 15th. Possibly a half dose depending on his weight so he isnt overloaded on meds.
I will be comfortable with it or HE AND I WILL LEAVE WITH NO SHOT.

Thank you for all your info,
Renea

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Well thanks guys. I guess I will start doing rabies shots again. Im from Saslmon Idaho, Thomas. Small little village with only 2 vets. lol Witch have never seen a sphynx in their lives. Very challenging here.

bthomas

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well thanks guys. I guess I will start doing rabies shots again. Im from Saslmon Idaho, Thomas. Small little village with only 2 vets. lol Witch have never seen a sphynx in their lives. Very challenging here.
My dads family is from salmon- I LOVE it there! We go for family reunions every year.
Can't beat Idaho!

bmckee

Lairian
Hi all. I am a registered veterinary technician and I would like to shed some new information on vaccines and their purpose. When it comes to rabies it is mandatory. Rabies laws are very strict, and the reason they are in place is to protect US from contracting rabies.
The good thing is there are manufactures out there that recognize that cats are very sensitive to vaccines and they have formulated vaccines that are "cat friendly"
Merial is the BEST for this. They developed a rabies vaccine for cats only that is only a 1 year vaccine and I have NEVER seen a reaction with this vaccine when used properly. It is injectable and is given in the right rear leg. It has been developed to prevent fibrosarcomas and reactions. That is why it is given every year. My cat came from a shelter and has had the regular vaccine (Merial) that is used for dogs and cats and has been fine. I will say this: DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT USE FORT DODGE VACCINES FOR ANYTHING. Fort Dodge has the most reactions of any vaccine manufacturer.
Also, they have developed a feline FVRCP (this is the standard cat vaccine) that is a nasal vaccine. Just drops in the nose and it is good for 3 years. No injection site, no sarcoma, 3 year protection.
They also make a feline leukemia vaccine that is delivered as a spray on the left rear leg. A high pressure shot of air delivers the liquid vaccine and it is only about half the amount of vaccine needed to give protection. There are no needles involved. Feline leukemia is only needed in cats that go outdoors or come into contact with other cats that may be at risk. I do not vaccinate my sphynx for leukemia.
So, with all of that being said, I would find a veterinarian who uses these vaccines to take your sphynx to because they have done many studies and these are the BEST vaccines available right now for any cat.
With all of that being said, I do feel that we over-vaccinate our pets and that some pets are probably fine not to have vaccines, but I would never forgive myself if I was the owner that had to put my pet to sleep because it contracted one of these very preventable diseases because I did not vaccinate it.
There are many things that vaccines are good for, but as with anything there are risks associated. You have to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits. Do your own research and again, find a veterinarian that uses these safer vaccines. You will be glad you did. I would also be more comfortable with veterinarians just out of school since most of this is current medical research. Some "old-school" vets will not have the same views. Good Luck and I hope all goes well.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Once an animal/human has been given a vaccine, it develops antigens which will fight off the virus. These vaccines last for several years and even the lifetime for animal/human. You can have a titer performed several years later and still find antigens and if you don't you may find it a day later even! Titer's are not perfect just like HCM scanning! It also creates a mirror copy of the virus even if you don't find the antigen. I see no reason to constantly pump our beloved animals with boosters year after year. If you google vaccinations for felines you will find many published papers written by vets about the practice of over vaccinating our animals (called vaccinosis). They go on to explain exactly what happens when a vaccine is administered. I do my cat/dog their 1st year shots and we're done for the rest of their life! I believe if the cat/dog is given a healthy diet and I don't subject them to risky places/behavior (dog park, stores etc) they will live a very long, healthy, happy, pain free life! I also make sure the vaccines are Adjunct Free (no known vaccine induced sarcomas/tumors)

I've researched this for the past 4 years, always keeping up with the latest news on vaccines. The Merial Pure Vac is the 3-way Live Vaccine has is only .25ml that does not require a needle and there is the Rabies Pure Vac too and you can also give those not only in the lower rear leg but in the tail. It's shame that the vets solution for sarcomas/tumors from these vaccinations is to use the tail/leg because then they can amputate either one of them! To me this is insane! How about creating a vaccine that is SAFE period! Plus why every year? Is it that much of a money maker for vets? We don't booster out kids every year for whooping cough, measles, and mumps because there is a reason! That being the body created antigens for the life of a human!

Well... nuff said here... I'll get off my soap box!

NotSoNude

Lairian
I've been working with dog rescue for about 15yrs now and Nofur pretty much summed up the vaccine stuff. I hate them LoL but do the minimal requirement - young-in boosters and Rabies. It is a necessary evil. I too have seen animals react to the vaccines but in the hundreds of dogs to pass through my home in all the years I've only seen two reactions. One of which COULD have been prevented had the vet simply said the dog was to stressed and underweight to safely have the vaccines. If administered properly there shouldn't be a bump or at least not one that lasts months :Surprise:. I've also seen puppies die a horrible death from parvo and distemper because they weren't vaccinated nor was their mother.

Also - vaccines are a preventative measure, nothing more! They do not guarantee your will never get those diseases at some point, they just help greatly increase the chance they won't. Oddly, even vets seem to forget to mention this...

I am new to having a kitten, we always got adult shelter cats that came fixed and fully vaccinated. Being adults I treated their vaccine protocol the same way I do my dogs. Standard puppy shots then next to nothing but Rabies as required by law which is every 3yrs. I deworm on a regular basis when they show signs of worms, treat for fleas on occasion when I know a dog (foster dog) has come through with it, we don't do heartworm preventative.

Because Austin is new and a special breed I am now doing my research on kitty vaccines specific to Sphynx. I will continue to not vaccinate the other cat for anything aside from Rabies.

You need to do Rabies regardless of indoor/outdoor status IMO. You may not see the little rodent that briefly entered your home while you were at work or sleeping, but Feline sure did and it just takes one tussle and a nip from Rodent before it gets on it's way and leaves Rabies behind... Also, do your friends ever bring a dog over to visit? That's exposing your kitty to potential Rabies. Everyone thinks because they want the cat indoors it will always be that way...no the case, 100's of kitties accidentally slip out every year despite how careful we are. That's why we have a bajillion stray cats around! And a bajillion kittens and cats ALWAYS looking for homes in pounds and always being euthanized every day! ACCIDENTS HAPPEN and kitties get out or exposed to stuff we don't even realize. At least do Rabies, they can bring that home to you, your dog, your children...not every year but talk to the vet and at minimum take the 3yr route. Do basic boosters to build the right immunity. a majority of the vaccines are like people vaccines and last at least 9yrs!

My oldest pup is 11yrs now. She has been exposed to all kinds of gross stuff. She's had fleas a few times, usually when we camped in the states... But she has been pretty rock solid other wise. She has never even had a touch of kennel cough and I've lost count of how many dogs and pups have come from the shelter with green snots, runny eyes etc just hacking kennel cough all over...We've had parvo dogs and distemper ones (unknowingly of course) stay in our home and we've had to euth them when we discovered the virus and she has been really lucky not to get anything. She did her puppy shots. We did yearly vaccs until she was about 5yrs and I started looking in to it more, she only got one or two kennel cough shots I think. For the last 6yrs she's had only Rabies every 3yrs as required by law, being 11yrs I don't even intend on doing that any more.
The point of this rant :eek:P I firmly believe she didn't catch any of the the really toxic viruses for two reasons - core vaccines to help build immunity as a young dog combined with regular exposure as an older dog letting the body build it's own immunity.

IMO - Rabies is a must. Vaccines are a necessary evil but not the the extreme vets push. Do core to build immunity. Research and decide what your pet needs in the long run. Vaccines last around 9yrs, some longer...yearly toxication with vaccines isn't necessary.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but not so new to Sphynx. Have 2 boys, one is 1.5 years old and the other is 3, 5 years old and I love them to death:) I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to anywhere online and was hoping someone would know here or have any ideas:

1. I live in the Northeast where Rabies shots are mandatory every year. I already vaccinated my older one for the last couple of years but want to stop now (as he is sick for a very long time after the shot). My concern is - are vets checking the expired cat tags? Are they going to chase you down and/or report you to anyone? What are the legal complications?
2. What happens once I need to bring my cat to the vet for some concern or an annual check up - are they just gonna give him the shot without my permission or if I refuse report me to authorities?
3. Bottom line if I don't wanna give the Rabies shots = I never can safely bring my kitties to the vet? It is just like a catch 22......any ideas?

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dr. Spock was very sick when he recv'd his Rabies shot at 6 months. My vet here in KY said he wouldn't give him anymore of the rabies or other vaccines. They still ask about giving him a vaccine of some kind and it's always noted, that I said no. Make sure that you have them notate on your cat's medical file that no vaccines are to be given w/o your permission.

My vet still performs his yearly checkups w/o question. I've never heard of a vet reporting a patient to local authorities for not vaxing our animals... I myself only vax my animals the 1st year and then we are done...