Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rabies shots

Sylvia

Lairian
I want know do any of you give rabies shots to Sphynx cats. The breeder said no and should I take Chloe do the vet to have her check out I had her since Sunday all her shots are up to date

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All three of my sphynx have rabies shot. I just took my adult adoptee to the vet on Saturday. She got her rabies and 1 year vaccine, although I was unsure about the vaccine as I don't like to over vaccinate.

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
When I had no other pets with my previous cats I did not get their rabies done as they would never possibly be exposed to it. However, now we have Franklin and an indoor/outdoor lab named Jake so Franklin did get his rabies done

TajMahal

Lairian
I would absolutely vaccinate for rabies. All animals, even indoor only animals in single pet households, can be exposed to rabies. Bats, rodents, and various other small mammals can get in the house no matter who you are or where you live in the U.S. (other than Hawaii which is the only rabies free state in America. A state that is KEPT rabies free through strict rabies protocols). If your cat were to be exposed to a rabid animal while unvaccinated, even if you weren't sure whether or not she was bitten, she would need to be placed in quarantine for six months. That means she would need to be kept in a cage within a cage. As for vaccines lasting longer than they say you would need to titer yearly which is about ten times (not an exaggeration) more expensive than the vaccine. Also the only reason people talk about vaccines being unnecessary or unsafe nowadays is because most animals ARE vaccinated so people who don't want to vaccinate can feel safe because we have gotten most viruses under control THROUGH vaccination. If everyone decided to stop vaccinating we would have MAJOR problems. All in all, the benefits far outweigh the risks. Just make sure that your vet uses Merial vaccines which don't contain harmful adjuvants that can cause sarcomas in cats. Definitely, definitely vaccinate.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sylvia ,

Check your contract
Many have clauses about NOT giving feline leukemia or FIP vaccines.

Great advice given about using Certain brand vaccines
That do not contain adjuvants

Ask your vet what brand rabies shot before you go

The rabies shot is typically given in the right rear leg

Check your contract if you need to have a wellness check within a few days

Keep us update

Back