Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rabies Vaccination

tannytime

Lairian
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with side effects after the rabies vaccination. I did my research and some were saying that if you have had mice in the house it might be a good idea to get the vaccination even though the sphynx is an indoor cat. Keano got his 3 year updated shot yesterday at 11:00 am. I noticed he was acting lethargic around 2 and he was gagging over and over with nothing coming up. I rushed him back to the vet and they injected him with a steroid and gave me two follow up steroid pills.

Today he is slow moving, doesn't want to play and he just wants to sleep. He also has white gums. He is still eating and drinking a lot though. My poor baby, I feel like I failed him and made the wrong decision. I feel horrible and I am staying him to check on him every ten minutes. I hope this passes soon.

Also, if this wasn't enough, the vet said that Keano has a grade 2-3 heart murmur. He was born with one and it was mild. So I'm being referred to a cardiologist. I know a heart murmur can be an indicator of HCM, but is there ANY chance it's not HCM? I just feel like my baby needs some good news for once.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
There is a chance it is not HCM. Our boy Babas has had a stage 2 murmur since a kitten and he is 10...so do not panic. Just educate yourself like you are doing, so you can have all of your questions ready.

Rabies vaccination is a topic on here from time to time and the topic is controversial. I live in NY and it is a state law it must be done. I feel better knowing ours are safe since you never know about mice or a bat getting in. Our 17 year old Bengal has not been updated on his rabies shot as per the vet's recommendation because his immune system is compromised. I have heard of others saying their babies were a bit lethargic for a couple of days. Give your vet a quick ring and just go over the symptoms so you feel better.

patti

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with side effects after the rabies vaccination. I did my research and some were saying that if you have had mice in the house it might be a good idea to get the vaccination even though the sphynx is an indoor cat. Keano got his 3 year updated shot yesterday at 11:00 am. I noticed he was acting lethargic around 2 and he was gagging over and over with nothing coming up. I rushed him back to the vet and they injected him with a steroid and gave me two follow up steroid pills.

Today he is slow moving, doesn't want to play and he just wants to sleep. He also has white gums. He is still eating and drinking a lot though. My poor baby, I feel like I failed him and made the wrong decision. I feel horrible and I am staying him to check on him every ten minutes. I hope this passes soon.

Also, if this wasn't enough, the vet said that Keano has a grade 2-3 heart murmur. He was born with one and it was mild. So I'm being referred to a cardiologist. I know a heart murmur can be an indicator of HCM, but is there ANY chance it's not HCM? I just feel like my baby needs some good news for once.
Sphynx just do not do well with alot of coventional vaccines. This is what my knowledge is so far. "PureVac" is the best thing to use. merial can cause carcinomas and other side effects. Give him a few days keep him warm and comfortable. Yearly vaccine for rabies is not necessary because research is showing that our pets have the titer build in their systems for upward of 10 years!! Vets over vaccinate simply it is a way of getting money. Think about it we do not get vaccines every year for most things. In the end you have to do your research and make the best decision for you and your kitty. Good luck

Christina