Ramses is such an unbehaving boy! | Sphynxlair

Ramses is such an unbehaving boy!

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Myrnaloy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Myrnaloy

MyrnaloyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $266.00
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a lot of difficulties when it comes to cutting my little kittens nails! He hates it, front nails are okey, but when I try to cut his backtoe-nails he scratches my hand to death, and I simply have to give it up!
    He has never had any bad experiences (cutting the "bad part" of his nails"

he's the same way when it comes to taking baths too, and my heart bursts into pieces when he stutter his sore meows.

Is there any good tip to calm him down?

Attached Files:

2. MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $411.00
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    Sometimes you can try clipping them while he is sleeping. Bribing him with an extra special treat for getting his nails done ( or a bath) might force him to try to be extra tolerant. When all else fails, I have wrapped my cats snuggly, burrito style in a towel, then pull out one paw at a time. The cries can be hard on the heart, but keeping trim nails is necessary. <heavy sigh> A Mommy's work is rarely appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. xxx_phoenix_xxx

xxx_phoenix_xxxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $38.00
    Ratings:
    +306
    awwwww bless i';m sure it will get easier every time he will get used to it eventually just be persistant and good luck :ThumbsUp:
    Ramses is a cutie pie:ThumbsUp::Laugh:

4. Bella07

Bella07Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $279.00
    Ratings:
    +1,642
    Oh Ramses coloring is changing so much! He's beautiful!

Since he is a kitten, now is the best time to get him used to grooming/bathing/nails, etc. When he's an adult, it will only probably get worse. When you try to groom him, make it a period of fun for him.....Perhaps use treats as a motivation, or belly rubs after each nail clipped....I'm not too sure though. This is coming from a girl who takes all her pets to groomers....Hopefully others can help you more. Good Luck though!

5. dreaming_in_colour

dreaming_in_colourBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $12.00
    Ratings:
    +891
    Awww he is adorable! Mine will cry and new and they protest to baths. They don;t like their back nails done either. I wrap them up in a fresh warm towel from the dryer when I do so and it helps calm them down. They will relax and let me do feet. They just meow a bit.

6. marlene

marleneV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $51.00
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    Pedda and I spend a lot of time at my computer desk so I keep my cat grooming stuff there. I just wait until she's cuddling and relaxed, then clip a nail. Then rub and praise her and when she's relaxed again do another nail. Repeat as needed. When the nails are clipped I just continue except that I use an emery board, a swipe or two on each nail really helps with the sharp edges. After half an hour or so the nails are done, Pedda hasn't been pissed off, and I'm still in one piece.

7. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,040.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Athena is not fond of having her back nails cut either:Hysterical: I get her to lie down on her back on my lap with her head by my knees and get her settled and then start clipping.
    If that does not work you have to be stern and get her to sit on your lap and wrap the arm you are not using to clip around the kitty and hold the foot you are clipping with the same hand and clip, she can not move much this way so it goes fast.

8. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Snuffie tolerates her baths very well, however she isn't really fond of having her nails clipped. I wrap her in a towel after bathtime and clip her paws one by one. She fussed in the past but I just made it a rule to not stop mid way because then she will know she could throw a fit and I'd stop. So I just keep going when she fusses and I talk to her and always always always give her treats once she is done. She still fusses a little when I do her nails now but when we are done she runs straight for the treat jar! lol

9. KushielsTart

KushielsTartLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $366.00
    Ratings:
    +66
    Ramses is gorgeous! As far as nail trimming, what works for us is not skimping on the treats. If they're in miffy moods they get treats before and after and lots of kisses and baby talk during. We always do it the same way- my hubby stands in the bathtub and holds the cat with one hand over the chest and one hand under the butt with the cat's back against his chest. It keeps them from wiggling too much, especially when you're doing the backs.

10. klreese

klreeseV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $337.00
    Ratings:
    +716
    i know that sound all too well. it is heart breaking :( Bronxe hates baths and even starts almost hyperventalating. i have cried on many occations while doing bath time with him :(

11. Nofuratu

NofuratuV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,301.30
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I also bathe first, then burito in a hot towel.
    I do ears, eyes and front nails first and by then Nofuratu has dozed off in his hot fuzzy blanket.
    He HATES having his back nails done and will yowl and pull back, but because I do it when he's dozed off, I get a few nails done before the yowling starts.
    Then after each foot, I give him a foot masage! He LOVES it when you rub his leg just before the paw pad starts and will stretch out his toes and sigh....
    Then I do the next back foot and we start over...LOL.
    Try massagine your cats back feet, WITHOUT nail trimming, just when you are cuddling....so he learns to tolerate you handling those feet and doesnt allways associate it with nail trimming...
    Good luck!

Adventures of A Naked Cat