Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Random question for all you lovely Sphynx people

laurenanne

Lairian
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and in my first post I received such awesome, constructive answers that I would like to ask the following: (I'm a soon to be first time Sphynx mom so I appreciate all responses :) )

What do you wish people had told you before you got your naked baby?

What do you love most about your Sphynx?

What are your absolute essential items (incl Any grooming or fun items)?

Thank you all in advance :)

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
- That they would take over my life! But I wouldn't have believed them anyway haha. They always want attention, either to play, get food or snuggle with you. And they're so worth it!

- Their playful and loving personalities and I love their nakedness too.

- Blankets and lots of time & love for them :happy:

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and in my first post I received such awesome, constructive answers that I would like to ask the following: (I'm a soon to be first time Sphynx mom so I appreciate all responses :) )

I don't think there is anything I wish someone would have told me to be honest all that I was told has been helpful there's nothing that makes me go oh I wish I new that before I got him

I love everything about him, I wish he'd let me sleep a bit more lol but to be fair that's him and there is nothing I'd change about him cause he has such a sweet nature that even at his naughtiest I love him

Must have exfoliating gloves not only are they good to wash them with but also help to keep a grip as my boy swears every time that I'm dipping him in acid at bath time lol

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
--you will find that you become a bit paranoid about your sphynx's safety.
snuggles, blowing raspberries on their belly
some sort of oil (i use lard) for bathing -- oil on, wipe off excess, soap them up and rinse -- easy
crinkly toys!
some sort of automatic cat litter box.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How obsessive I'd become!!! My husband says I kiss Spencer more thsn him.
Also how much I'd worry about losing them. ( like death or someone stealing them etc)

What do you love most about your Sphynx? Everything! Lol.They love you back unlike any pet I've ever owned.

What are your absolute essential items (incl Any grooming or fun items)? lots of blankets. Lots and lots of busy toys to keep them occupied.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wish some had told me how much I needed to baby/kitten proof my house! These are some seriously nosy and rambunctious cats, occasionally (most of the time) looking to get into trouble! I also wish I had known about the stench of their poop and that they have loose stool tendencies.

I love how affectionate they are. I love their warm soft skin, and the way they love to cuddle up on me. I could go on forever. LOL

Our essential items are: Da Bird, cause thats how I tire them out! Heated throw blankets (in dark colors), a great pair of nail clippers and a very good ear cleaner.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What do you wish people had told you before you got your naked baby? I got my Emma Leigh at a shelter and was not expecting to get a naked baby on that day. The main gap I had was understanding the difference between a fur baby and a naked one. I found the lair the day I brought her home and it saved both Emma and my sanity :D

What do you love most about your Sphynx? I love absolutely everything about my Emma Leigh and MiniE, they both drive me crazy at times, but in the end they are the most loving creatures on this earth. I could not imagine my life without them and thank God every day for bringing them both into my life.

What are your absolute essential items (incl Any grooming or fun items)? Exfoliating gloves, D'Grease, Blankets, Blankets, BLANKETS, covered tents, Blankets, air freshener (for the litter dish smell..lol), and baby wipes. Did I mention blankets?

Best of luck and I can't wait for you to post up some baby pics soon :D

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish I had known about their sensitive tummies... On all of the breeders websites and info pages that I found, they mention about bathing and nails and ears, etc but nothing about the fact that they tend to have stinky runny poop if they aren't being fed exactly the right thing.

I love the way that they smell and cuddling with them.

We have to have ping pong balls in our house - they are the perfect size and weight for them to chase like crazy.

Mybabyskinny

Lairian
- i wish i knew i was getting a baby/child, i wasnt prepaird for a hairless babyboy, BUT that also answers question 2. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MY BABY!
- The Way he smells and feels!
- All The love he gives me!
- The fact that he is like a baby/child!
- how he cuddles up in my neck/ on my face :p
- how he follows me around.
- climbs up my leg on to my shoulder.
- how funny he is when he curls up his back and walks on his tippi toes when he wants to play..
Oh my gosh! I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!
He is my life!

- must haves: lots and lots of toys!!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member

So much of my life would revolve around them...in a good way.

Their personalities

D'grease shampoo, exfoliating gloves, cat trees, and oh yes BLANKETS, blankets and blankets...did I say blankets?

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What do you wish people had told you before you got your naked baby? That you thought you loved animals before but you will never have a bond with another animal like you do your Sphynx (I have had pets all my life and this is SO true).
What do you love most about your Sphynx? There little personalities and how they always make sure they put there bums in your face. I love Violets chirp and how Hairry and Curly gingerly carry tree frogs in the house in there mouth without hurting them and let out this pathetic cry while the frog is still in there mouth. They are so proud of the treat they brought mommy! eeek We scoop up the frog and let it out the front door.

What are your absolute essential items (incl Any grooming or fun items)? Baby wash (lavender), blankets, exfoliating gloves, blankets, coconut oil, blankets, a bigger bed for you to sleep in because you won't be just humans in the bed anymore..... and did I say BLANKETS!!!!

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
"What do you wish people had told you before you got your naked baby?"

- I read the lair from the day after Zoa was born right up through now (she's 6 months old now). I was pretty well prepared- but even when reading about expensive health issues I had the mindset of "oh well that won't happen to me!" It did lol. They can be expensive... But they are worth every penny of every expense! I will be waiting to get a second one until I'm in a better spot financially though, that's for sure.

"What do you love most about your Sphynx?"

-pretty much everything ^_^ I love how much she purrs, her kisses, her nuzzles, and the crazy look in her eyes when she decides that snuggle time has just turned into playtime! I love how a lysine treat OUTside of her bowl is regarded as poison, but a lysine treat INside her bowl is the most delicious thing ever. I love that she is Zoa, and I love that she is in my life.

"What are your absolute essential items (incl Any grooming or fun items)?"

Her toy Mr Fishy! It's a fish wand toy that I got at petsmart and she adores it. Also blankies!!!! And her Earthbath shampoo - it has been so great for her skin (she has very sensitive allergy-prone skin).

I love my baby so much and wouldn't trade anything about her for the world. She is amazing. My friends are sick of getting 5 pics of her per day. I'm a little obsessed.

Last edited:

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish I knew that they get URI and herpes (I had no idea) never had a sick kitty in 9 years.

What I love most about them is how affectionate they are. Just how much they love to love you.
I love their playfulness.
A kind WEIRD thing is I LOVE the way they smell...makes me fall in love just to sniff their naked skin.

Pet D'Greaser and tons of Q-tips for dirty ears!!
Soft blankets
Mine love the wood stove & cat trees in front of large picture window.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish I knew that they get URI and herpes (I had no idea) never had a sick kitty in 9 years.

What I love most about them is how affectionate they are. Just how much they love to love you.
I love their playfulness.
A kind WEIRD thing is I LOVE the way they smell...makes me fall in love just to sniff their naked skin.

Pet D'Greaser and tons of Q-tips for dirty ears!!
Soft blankets
Mine love the wood stove & cat trees in front of large picture window.

I experienced the URI this past month and it is BAD! All three of them had it at all different stages!! It was costly and stressful!!!

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
^ yup. URIs, herpes and poo issues!

But the great thing about this forum is that we are always glad to listen to poo problems! Your friends and family might think you are insane obsessing about the shape and solidity of your kitten's poo, but we totally get it. Trust me, you'll almost definitely be posting about your kitten's poo within a week of him coming home!

Another thing I didn't know until I got here - having not yet experienced the love and joy of a sphynx, I didn't know that from then on out while reading this forum I would experience tears of grief for the hard times of other members' babies - and tears of joy for their triumphs. This forum is amazing- and once you experience the love of a sphynx, you're going to completely relate to everything everyone posts here! It's awesome :)

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I wish someone told me how noisy and how much energy she has. This varies per cat, but it was sure a surprise when I got such a tiny but so noisy kitty!!!

I love the most about her??? All of her!! But her affection and personality is irreplaceable

Essential items: straws and other chew toys. Really helps with the biting!! She loves playing with anyhing small. Thimbles or marbles, crinkle balls, kitty balls.

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
About their sensitive tummies! And how much you will worry about them.

His kitty kisses, with his paws gently on my face. His playfulness, his personality.

Crinkle balls, pet wipes, baby washcloths for faces.

RandE

Lairian

I wish someone would have mentioned the farts. haha. Not a deal breaker on my end but definitely surprising! I've never had a cat that could pass such stink bombs! :p

I love her loving affectionate nature (or just herneed for warmth, it's debateable some days lol!) they have the biggest personalities I have ever met in a cat! They are also very smart- which I love.

sweaters in cold climates. I'm waiting for Jade to grow a bit more before I buy her one so she doesn't outgrow it. But clothes have been essential in my house. Ear cleaner as well!

laurenanne

Lairian
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm not only overwhelmed by the lovely people in this forum; but mostly by the deep love you all have for your Sphynx. I have never heard people speak more lovingly about pets than you all do. Thank you for that, it's amplified my excitement as I can't wait for my own amazing bond with a naked little love bug!

As I'm in South Africa, it will be quite difficult to get hold the d'grease mentioned- does coconut oil have the same effect?

I've added Exfoliating gloves to my "kitten list," as i can understand how useful they can be; but I'm worried about the gloves hurting the kitten. Am being too paranoid?

I've been perusing this forum; and now I'm petrified! I'm terrified of my kitten getting a URI, herpes or diarrhea in his first few days home. i'm getting him at 16 weeks, and he will be neutered and fully vaccinated. Is he still at risk? What can I do, preventatively, to help him? I'll have pumpkin and probiotics on hand; I'll keep him separate from my other pets to minimise stress, keeping the same food, litter etc that the breeder used.

I would be so devastated if he got sick :( it seems quite common and id like do whatever can to prevent it!

Thanks everyone- love this forum!

I've posted a pic of my little boy- just two weeks old and I love him already.
IMG-20131213-WA0005.jpg

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He is a little doll baby! We all speak so affectionately of our sphynxies because, honest to God, they make you feel this overwhelming, fierce love and it's so intense. Hard to explain until you feel it yourself, and you will soon! We all worry about our babies so much, but you are ahead of the game by doing research and being prepared. If your baby should become ill, we will all be here to advise, listen and help you thru it. I'm excited for you!

Jaime

Lairian
I wish someone would have told me how in love I would be with my naked baby! My little Mia is my life! I have had her for a little over month and don't know how I lived without her! I love this crazy little cat!

She is so lovable, I can't stop kissing her! I know I drive her bananas because inconstantly wake her up kissing and loving on her!

She loves her soft warm blankets and her basket in the window!

I want another naked baby so bad but I don't think my allergies could take it! I didn't realize i would asthma from her but she is so worth it!!!! Love my Mia aka baby kitty!!!!

Back