Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raphael's annual check up

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Raphael had her annual check up today. The Dr. heard a murmur so we decided to x-ray and do blood work. The x-ray showed a little bit of a large heart. The Dr. will email me once the x-ray has been looked at by the radiologist. She mentioned HCM. I have read the information provided on this site regarding HCM. I know something like this can be helped with medication.

I am trying to stay positive. I know my Raphael has a good life here and I will do whatever it takes to make sure she remains as healthy as she can. Not much a person can do about genetics but enjoy the moments we have in this life!

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm afraid I do not know so much of this breed yet. Nevertheless I do want to send positive vibes and hugs that it isn't HCM and of course toes crossed for a positive and good result on Raphael's check up.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Annejo12 sorry to hear this. All fingers and paws crossed for the results of the radiologist. I'm no expert on HCM but I do know several cats have HCM and live(d) a long and good life on meds.
@Catzzzmeow can maybe share her experience once she's back.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Annejo12 , head smooches to Raphael
Kudos to you for being proactive
I know she has the best of love and care

Sadly too Many of us have kitties with murmurs - the good news is they can live long healthy lives
@Catzzzmeow can chime in with supportive info

2 of my four have murmurs - I am following vets advice
No medications at this time

Each case is different

Did the vet mention what grade# murmur?
One of y boys age 5 - has a stage 1 and the other turning 8 next week has a stage 3
Both no meds per my vet
She did say the grading can be subjective

And no symptoms - both act like kittens
My Vet is monitoring amd we will go from there

Stay positive !

All paws crossed for Raphael's radiology report

Will be following closely for updates

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 , head smooches to Raphael
Kudos to you for being proactive
I know she has the best of love and care

Sadly too Many of us have kitties with murmurs - the good news is they can live long healthy lives
@Catzzzmeow can chime in with supportive info

2 of my four have murmurs - I am following vets advice
No medications at this time

Each case is different

Did the vet mention what grade# murmur?
One of y boys age 5 - has a stage 1 and the other turning 8 next week has a stage 3
Both no meds per my vet
She did say the grading can be subjective

And no symptoms - both act like kittens
My Vet is monitoring amd we will go from there

Stay positive !

All paws crossed for Raphael's radiology report

Will be following closely for updates
My vet did not give the murmur a grade#. This was the first check up where she noticed it. Nothing has changed in Raphael's behaviour and her weight is good. I have been very happy with this vet and feel confident in whatever treatment she might recommend. Plus I am so happy I have this forum for support!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 27

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am still waiting on the Radiologist. I am trying to stay positive but have cried so much since Monday. This is such a worry. Everything I read on the internet is not that positive. Arghhh, my husband doesn't quite understand. He doesn't have the same bond because he is allergic to her and doesn't get the cuddles I get from her.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Annejo12 sending positive vibes. And remember, internet always tell you the worst case scenario and never the positive scenario. If I tell google now I have freckles, internet will tell me I'll be dead tomorrow;-).
So keep up the good hope till you know more from the radiologist!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 sending positive vibes. And remember, internet always tell you the worst case scenario and never the positive scenario. If I tell google now I have freckles, internet will tell me I'll be dead tomorrow;-).
So keep up the good hope till you know more from the radiologist!
Thank you for this! Trying my best to stay positive. I love the support from this group!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Annejo12 This is my 2 cents....I don't see anywhere that Raphael was showing signs of labored breathing or something else that "made" you take her to the vet, right? Basically it was just a regular checkup and the murmur turned up. This means whatever is going on you caught it early before even any symptoms. I think this is maybe something you aren't thinking about what with all the stuff you read online, so I just wanted to point it out. Many positive vibes sent to you and Raphael!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 This is my 2 cents....I don't see anywhere that Raphael was showing signs of labored breathing or something else that "made" you take her to the vet, right? Basically it was just a regular checkup and the murmur turned up. This means whatever is going on you caught it early before even any symptoms. I think this is maybe something you aren't thinking about what with all the stuff you read online, so I just wanted to point it out. Many positive vibes sent to you and Raphael!
You are right, it was an annual check up. When I asked my Dr. about how much I could believe on the Internet when I was having health issues he said none of it! I need to calm down. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it and I appreciate that this forum gives a person different perspectives. Thank you so much.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great news everyone! My vet contacted me to say that Raphael's proBNP is 24 and normal is less than 100. She said the proBNP measures the strain on the heart. An elevated level would show heart disease. So it looks like it is just a murmur that Raphael has and no heart disease. My vet will check her heart when I bring her in.

My vets office has a plan that I pay into. I pay monthly into the plan. What I get from it was not having to pay for the spay and I don't have to pay for her immunizations. It also includes monthly nail cutting and monthly Dr. visit so I will take advantage and have the Dr. check her heart each month when she gets her nails cut. I know I am paying monthly for this service but it sure is nice not having to pay when we go in for immunizations etc.

I can't thank you all enough for your support while I was freaking out!

Back