Rapunzel

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by CMe13, Aug 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CMe13

CMe13Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $100.54
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello! I’m a new Sphynx Momma. Kinda excited about having one, but also nervous. Always been a dog person, but 2 years ago, I had a feral pregnant cat deliver her kittens in my front porch planter...bringing me each kitten after she removed their placentas. 6 total that I raised from birth.
    Now I have a 9 week-old Rapunzel. I work long hours. I get to play/interact with her for 30 minutes in the morning before I get ready for work & then 3-4 hours before bed. I really hate locking her up in the bathroom while I’m gone (rather large room), but she has shown an interest in all things wired! Not sure how safe ‘bitter’ spray is for my electronics or Rapunzel. Any other ideas on how to break bad habits for a teething Sphynx?
    She is true to the breed- high energy! I have several toys for now, but she has learned to jump onto the toilet & next will be my counters. What other toys do you suggest to help with her high energy & jumping desires? I will buy a cat-tree or cubes, but those would take up space in my bathroom for me to move around & get ready...kinda hoping to hold off on cat -tree until I can trust her in my master bedroom all day.
    All advice appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    • Adore Adore x 4
    • Like Like x 1

• Zab

ZabV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43,616.05
      Ratings:
      +4,857
      • Blue Sphynx
      You have a lovely baby and I love the name Rapunzel! Is she really so young, just 9 weeks? I can only share my experince with wire biting. I've tried bitter spray and lemons on my wires. Also wrapping them in tin foil. None of these things has worked long term. Finally I had to buy those spiral cable hiders to get it to stop. Maybe get her something safe to bite on and put it in front of her the moment she goes for the wires? I hope you find something that works for you!

• Like Like x 2
      • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $216,192.65
        Ratings:
        +19,524
        @CMe13 welcome to sphynxlair for you and Rapunzel.
        Rapunzel is a beautiful and cute girl.
        Most sphynx love Da Bird (to play together), laser light (you can buy one that automaticly goes on for 15 minutes) and springs (for unsupervised play by herself).
        My crew never tried to bite wires (lucky me) so can't give advise on that one.

Oh and some have great experience with the cat wheel for high energy cats. If I'm right @Yoda mom has one.

As @Zab said 9 weeks is very young to be already at her forever home. I'm sure she'll do fine but if you notice any health issue I would go to the vet asap cause she's very tiny.

• Like Like x 2
        • Xandria

XandriaGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $128,962.62
          Ratings:
          +15,609
          First, welcome. 2nd, congratulations on Rapunzel. What a pretty girl.
          The only thing I have learned about unwanted behaviour (and both of my nakeds each have their own issues), is to be consistent in regards to interfering with the unwanted behaviour, but also providing distraction by way of authorized behaviour.
          Sphynx seem to have a lot of energy, and require a lot more play than a regular cat. And some even need another feline companion to play kitty cat games that we just can't play with them.
          Please keep us updated. Hugs.

• Like Like x 1
          • admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $293,187.37
            Ratings:
            +18,250
            • Pig
            • Venus Fly trap
            • Black Sphynx
            • Skull head
            Hello @CMe13 and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! Please enjoy the community! :)

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $101,432.32
            Ratings:
            +10,972
            • Butterflies
            • Red Sphynx
            • Pink Sphynx
            • Black Sphynx
            @CMe13 welcome to the lair family
            Happy Rapunzel gotcha! She is absolutely adorable!

Great advice given

Great advice given
            Also wanted to add as a side note-
            Many of us love soap free hypoallergenic Hylt shampoo along with exfoliating gloves ,
            Cosmetic rounds to wet with ear cleaner and precision qTip brand precision q tips for those teenie ear nooks and crannies and outer edge ear flap- I omly use Qtip bread bcz so many others are too sharp

The dog drying micro towels are awesome for spa day I get them cheap at Marshalls all the time

Definitely great advice about getting cord protectors- check your local home improvement store
            They also sell them specifically for TV wires too

As for jumping climbing - highly recommend the smart cat climber
            Several of us have this for our kitties

It easily mounts by tension over a door - no screws -
            I put a towel behind it bcz it is truly the super highway of pouncing climbimg :)
            I use it to train my like a dog to go to it for smooches and a meet and greet spot to stay away from opening doors
            One of my best kitty purchases

For counter jumping - members have been successful with compressed air in a can .
            Again , I train mine like a dog - they are super smart and often food motivated :)
            a stern """No " and redirect to an approrpiate spot of your choice and verbal praise and immediate treat as soon as they go to the designated "spot"- timing is everthing

The product called a "scat mat " has been used by members

I love the kitty mansions redwood car tree - it is about 72" tall dark colored with bolstered perches and dark sisal -
            Love that it is extremely stable with a 24" x24" base -
            Redwood

Various prices online so be sure to check around if you get one -petco online for $107

It is the fav cat tree with my crew . It has a nice cubby box thst I put a small blanket inside
            (Lol I actually use the small white auto microfiber towels I'm the auto section of the dollar store-
            Fits perfect washes great - got so,e extras for spa day too

I put the kitty mansions cat tree by an indirect light window * I do not use the decorative plastic silk vines comes it comes with bcz of the chewing tendency of kitties .

Mike love the round cat tracks with the ball and cardboard scratcher I n the center.
            Batman loves the small 3 tier track ball toy- there is a four level too

I leave the TV amd radio on when I am gone .

I open doors slooooowly lookimg down at my feet bcz they are lightning fast -
            Another reason I train to a meet and greet spot .
            I also remind guests to please put down the toilet lid
            My Toby fell in the toilet :( when a guest cat hater I suspect left the toilet lid up on purpose :(
            He is fine but needed s vet trip.
            Funny how mine are fascinated with toilet water but haaaate spa day!

Lots of love positive verbal praise - train like a dog :) is my best advice for Sphyns living Harmony. Your dog experience will d edit tell be a plus when training sweet Rapunzel

Keep us updated often
            Head smooches sent
            Look forwRd to lots of pics and tales on your Sphynx journey with us :)
            Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch

Ps- bless your kind heart for the love and care given to the feral momma kitty and babies

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
          • Shmeeps

ShmeepsLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $1,094.00
            Ratings:
            +129
            • Scary sphynx
            Nice to meet you. Rapunzel is BEAUTIFUL. My Meeps loves to climb. The cable guy came to the door and she ran up his body and onto the top of the door. It was so quick and scared the boogers out of him. I have an over the door cat climber perch. It can be moved from room to room as need.

• Like Like x 1
            • Shmeeps

ShmeepsLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
              $1,094.00
              Ratings:
              +129
              • Scary sphynx
              @Yoda mom Oh great suggestions.I need to implement them with my next baby. I'm trying the compressed air thing and need to know more about the meet and great spot training. Love that tree house but if I got it I'd need another kitty for the 3rd perch on top:D

• LOL LOL x 1