Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rash? Brown spots

Hillary

Lairian
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anybody has seen something like this before? Norman has had a rash/brown spots on his skin for most of the summer and its still going on. I have brought him to the vet 2 or 3 times now and they keep saying its seasonal allergies and prescribe him pills which do not work! I have stopped giving them to him because it hasnt improved at all. The vet assured me it wasnt a yeast infection or anything bacteria/fungus related.

I have not changed his diet, shampoo or anything in the house and it never gets any better or worst? I use hylyt shampoo and wash him every or every other weekend because I find it does help his skin when he gets baths often.

Most of them arnt even bumps its just flat Mark's all over his neck/stomach and face.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20191010_160553.jpg
    20191010_160553.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 86

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Did your vet do a skin scrape? If not you might go that route to rule out allergies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hillary .... just brainstorming... do you use a corn or wheat base litter? we have seen some kitties allergic to those and worlds best litter

I use a litter that comes from parent company in Canada I believe Petvalu? ..sold at petsupermarket here in the usa
its Fresh for life Odor destroyer unscented in 40 lb bag ( not the one in the bucket which is diferent)
I found it a good dupe for Dr Elseys unscented..

hope you get this figured out... following closely for updates
hugs n head smooches sent

Hillary

Lairian
@Hillary .... just brainstorming... do you use a corn or wheat base litter? we have seen some kitties allergic to those and worlds best litter

I use a litter that comes from parent company in Canada I believe Petvalu? ..sold at petsupermarket here in the usa
its Fresh for life Odor destroyer unscented in 40 lb bag ( not the one in the bucket which is diferent)
I found it a good dupe for Dr Elseys unscented..

hope you get this figured out... following closely for updates
hugs n head smooches sent
No dont use either corn or wheat base litters. I've used the same non scented litter since he was a kitten (sorry cant think of the brand right now) and it's never changed:/

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hillary awhhh (((hugs)))) I cant imagine how perplexing this is for you and your vet.
I am trying to find some previous posts using the top right search . box too

if you are reading posts, be sure to scroll to page bottom for "similar threads"
I would ask the vet what exactly does the skin scraping test for..
I recall an older post that a member wrote about with ongoing skin issues..
trying to find it

Hillary

Lairian
@Hillary did vet rule out uticaria pigmentosa? we have seen in some lair kitties... not saying thats what it is by anymeans but figured I would share to rule it out

tagging at @Toa and Ross , @Staceyxxx for ideas to ask the vet to rule out?
No they pretty much quickly glanced at him and said allergies both times I will have to go to another vet because they didnt seem to even know much about sphynx's

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hope the skin scrap gives an idea about what it is. Cou ld it be s kme kind of yeast? Mh boy Toa has Uticaria Pigmentosa. His rash looks red and he gets scabs. But I don't know if Uticaria Pigmentosa can look different on a dark sphynx.

Back