Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rash, maybe Ringworm?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi everyone! I noticed this rash on ravens belly when I woke up Monday morning. It looked red and irritated as if she was licking it all night. I took her to the vet Monday after work and the vet said he thinks it’s an infection, and gave her an antibiotic shot. I asked what’s next if it doesn’t go away, and he mentioned a biopsy of the area which really worry’s me. A friend of mine on Instagram mentioned ringworm. I checked it under a UV light at home and it doesn’t light up at all. Today is the 3rd day since the shot, and I’m to call back if it doesn’t clear in a week. I’ll attach some pictures, @Catzzzmeow I know you have experience with ringworm, does it look like it could be that?
656b62e08b98f8bebf57d84bace3d3f1.jpg
235d71177eeed12779965764212b0e79.jpg
a08950f5efac50d910d4e824b533d6ea.jpg

The vet mentioned the dark area I was worried before just looks like pigmentation to him, he wasn’t worried about it at all. I have been using Curaseb on her for baths for about the last 5 baths, which is why I was thinking it wasn’t ringworm as the medicated shampoo would be helping? I have a feeling I’ll be back at the vet on Monday. The area is rasied and bumpy.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Can it be an allergy to the curaseb shampo? Since that's a new product you use? Don't know Curaseb but that was my first thought. Sending healing vibes.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 Awhhh Raven positive vibes sent
Long shot but any chance she sat on a curling iron for asecond?
Jsut a weird area -shape

As for the brown Any chance using walnut litter? Wheat litter Reaction ?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross I'm not sure, I guess it could be to the new soap! I just feel like it would be all over her body, and its a medicated shampoo? Maybe I'll go back to using Hylyt on her instead of the Curaseb.

@Yoda mom I don't own a curling iron so that's not possible :( I noticed that when she sits that spot rests on her hind paws too. No change in litter at all, its not a walnut litter. I've always used the Arm and Hammer Slide litter in all my boxes.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That does not look like ringworm to me. I am not a vet, but it just doesn’t have the look from those I have seen. Usually a true ring or a scab/pimple develop. This spot is quite large..try not to panic. Was she exposed to any new detergents, plants, materials etc?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I feel relieved now, as you and a few others have confirmed it doesn’t look anything like ringworm. The only thing I can think of that changed would be the shampoo, I’ve also let her outside once or twice maybe she got it outside. Hopefully the vet will be able to determine what it is. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 a lair full of healing vibes for Raven
Following closely for updates

Ps
Love your smat cat climber avatar pic with your babies! Adorable :)

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you! I had the hardest time changing the avatar pic. When I go to edit it to move it around it isn’t even the same photo as what you see! But glad the smart climber pic is the one that’s there

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 I haven’t changed my avatar pic ( i keep it to honor my first sphnyx Yoda girl who got her angel wings much too soon at age 2 ) so I am sorry I can’t offer insight on editing
Tagging @admin for advice on the avatar editing

How is Raven’s rash?
Healing vibes continue!
Head smooches to all paws

alandsim

Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you! I had the hardest time changing the avatar pic. When I go to edit it to move it around it isn’t even the same photo as what you see! But glad the smart climber pic is the one that’s there

A) I've been following this and good luck at the vet's, Raven! This is one of those questions that's out of my depth but I've been watching to see what others say in case I ever run into something similar.

B) I finally got my smart climber mounted on the wall! I need to post pictures!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So we just got back from the vet. I hadn’t looked at her belly all day today and I was a bit shocked when Iooked at it when we got there. It’s gotten much worse today just from yesterday! The vet was really surprised the antibiotic didn’t work. He’s trying to avoid having to sedate her and take a biopsy (which will be the next step), so he gave me a cream with a steroid in it that we have to apply 3x per day and if it doesn’t improve in 5 days then we go in for a biopsy. He also took a photo to send to a dermatologist and see their opinion on what it could be. He has no idea.
f4026f21c002f107bab1074666e6367f.jpg
35d800f56c4b318f41285bced27aaa45.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 awhhh hope the cream works
Looking at the ingredients I am familiar with - and has worked well in the past
Keeping all paws crossed it brings relief

Head smooches to all paws!
Ps thanks for sharing the smart cat climber mounting tips amd the sisal info!

Sheldon13

Staff member
With the new photo of increased severity and researching vet resources, I’m wondering if it could be autoimmune. I still think the most likely culprit is food allergy. But there is a group of autoimmune conditions called Pemphigus that sounds like the symptoms. Can you check the gums for any poor color or ulceration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Btw even though no one thinks it is ringworm, watch carefully the response to the steroid. If it is ringworm or yeast it will feed on the steroid and get way worse pretty quickly. That would suck but then you’d know more likely what it is.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Sheldon13 I’m skeptical of a food allergy but the vet wants me to feed kangaroo only for 2 months to see if anything changes so all 3 are getting kangaroo only for 2 months! I was able to get a photo of her gums I’ll post a picture. It’s motivated me to start brushing her teeth more often.

@Yoda mom I’m hopeful that the cream will help but preparing myself for a biopsy as well. Hopefully the smart cat climber will help others who want to wall mount!
1b9fa8f3b22eacf96b02b710a9cc2879.jpg

Sheldon13

Staff member
The gums do look a little inflamed but that’s likely just due to plaque buildup and would be solved with a dental cleaning. You don’t see any sores in there do you?

Back